Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Ordered EFI Live last night

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wkdivr
Believe me, once you get the software, and cable (either EFI Live, or HP Tuiners) you won't be content to just do a few things. You're gonna want to tune the whole deal once you get comfortable with it. It's fun, AND interesting!
Exactlly. Youll learn how to squeeze out just about as much HP as you can.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So....... I don't care about how many different vehicles I can tune but I want to do any tune task that comes along. I want the newest version with all the bells, buttons and switches. Please spare me more technical language, I'm thoroughly confused... I just want to know.......

How much do I have to spend to have the ability to be able to do every tune task possible to my truck. EFI $????? HP????
Old 12-04-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excuse me for sounding dumb, but what is a 2/3 bar and custom OS and their purposes? I know.... I've got a lot to learn.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
So....... I don't care about how many different vehicles I can tune but I want to do any tune task that comes along. I want the newest version with all the bells, buttons and switches. Please spare me more technical language, I'm thoroughly confused... I just want to know.......

How much do I have to spend to have the ability to be able to do every tune task possible to my truck. EFI $????? HP????
EFILive will be $699 for personal, and $849 for Commercial and $99 pr/vehicle after 2. This will do everything Live can do w/out any additional fees.

HPT is $499 Basic + $150 for IO cable (a must so you can connect a WB O2, should be considered mandatory)(edit: also there is a $49 fee pr/vehicle to get 1 bar speed density which is very helpful for tuning the main VE table, should come standard as well.) + $199 for 2/3 bar per vehicle you want to use it on. This will do anything you want to do for 2 vehicle types. Each additional vehicle type is $199 each for the first 2, and then $399 each after
that.

Excuse me for sounding dumb, but what is a 2/3 bar and custom OS and their purposes? I know.... I've got a lot to learn.
2/3 bar is tuning boost on turbos or superchargers. Both tuners have this option with extra tables and extended tables to have more control ever your engine under boost. The Custom Operating Systems (OS) is something in EFILive that gives you even more control over timing and fuel in boost and there coming out shortly with another one that will have nitrous controls too.

EFILive also just came out with Duramax tuning, no extra fees, just uses a normal license per vehicle ($99)

I like EFILive license structure better, because I don't know that many people with the same year as me, but I do know about 5-6 people with LS1's, but all different years or Vehicles types. If I belonged to a club or something there that was a lot of people with the same years I had it might be different. I really don't like to do much to other peoples stuff anyway, because I'm still learning on my stuff, But if one of my buddy's needs a little some thing tweaked, it only cost $99.

On a little side note, based on how long it took HPT to get there V 2.0 out, I wouldn't expect to see Ford or Dodge tuning for a year or 2. They still don't have usb, or black box logging. They keep saying we cant give a date, but its really close

Last edited by kbracing96; 12-04-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
EFILive also just came out with Duramax tuning, no extra fees, just uses a normal license per vehicle ($99)
I am SOLD! That is perfect for my truck and my brother's Duramax. Maybe he will go half-and-half with me!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also EFILive will open any pre HPT 2.0 tunes saved in .bin format, so most all the tunes on Horist web site can be viewed in efilive. In HPT 2.0, they when to a new file format that now saves tunes in a .hpt file that is encrypted, so it can only be opened with HPT
Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have to have the Commerical version of EFI to do 2/3 bar tuneing?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed you need the commercial version to do Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) calibrations. So if I don't have a drive by wire TB, which I don't, I have to get the commercial version?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimS
Do you have to have the Commerical version of EFI to do 2/3 bar tuneing?
You need commercial version do be able to do full re-flashes which you need to do with 2/3 bar and custom OS's (which are awesome BTW). Or you can send your PCM to Wait4me and Jesse will flash it for 2/3 bar for just the cost of return shipping. You can still do all the tuning for 2/3 and the OS's with Personal, just need commercial for the full re-flash to do the initial setup.

Originally Posted by 1Slowhoe
I noticed you need the commercial version to do Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) calibrations. So if I don't have a drive by wire TB, which I don't, I have to get the commercial version?
You don't have to get Commercial, but would be easier to tune you radix with 2 bar. You would find it drives and responds much better with a MAFless tune and a 2 bar MAP, my turbo sure does .

The Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) calibrations are only available in Commercial because it you get them to far off, it will lock the PCM in reduced power PERMITLY. Requires the chip be removed from the PCM and manually re-flash to fix, or just a new PCM. They figure if you're advanced enough to be using commercial, your responsible enough not to fry it with the ETC .
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

so do you need the comm. version if you have a throttle cable or not. and if i sent the pcm to waitforme i could do a full reflash on 2 bar then or not.

Quick Reply: Ordered EFI Live last night