Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Ordered EFI Live last night

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by black4x4
so do you need the comm. version if you have a throttle cable or not. and if i sent the pcm to waitforme i could do a full reflash on 2 bar then or not.
No you don't need commercial just because you have an ETC. You don't need it for anything other then doing full re-flashes and making changes to ETC calibration themselves. If you don't plan to change them, which you really don't need to unless you want to change how your throttle peddle affects the throttle body, then personal will be fine. If you want to run 2 bar with personal, then wait4me can do the initial setup flash and you can do all the tuning with personal from there.

Josh, I'm starting to sound like a spokes person for EFILIVE But that's ok, I'm just another happy customer
Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then it's going to take about $850 to get a complete tune program no matter which brand.... right?

The rest is just apples and oranges, different bells/switches, different screens, graphs, with only opinions determining which is the better program?

It sounds like there are really not any functions that one performs better that the other. Just personal prefrences. True?

It appears then that they are about the same price and if they perform the same functions at about the same level of excellence then it seems that customer support and knowledgeable help would be the deciding factor.

When I rather clumsily installed my Radix I called Magnuson for help 5 or 6 times and every time I called a real live human person answered the phone and every time I called there was a friendly, helpful and knowlegeable person available to help me.... unbelievable in this day and age, and it was a real treat to be treated like a valued customer for a change. (THANK YOU MAGNUSON!!!) Would either EFI Live or HPT have a guy available who is able/willing to talk a guy through a problem without having to wait a half-hour only to find youself talking w/someone in bumfuck Egypt/India reading a canned speech and who didn't have a clue about what they reading? Could I actually call either company and find a real person with real world knowledge to help me with a problem? I'd pay extra for that!! (to any business owners/managers... that's no ****.. I would pay extra for that.. hmmm, maybe I did.. with the Radix.. and if I did it was worth it!!!! )

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by JimS; 12-05-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

HPT doesn't have a phone number that you can call them. All they have is email and there message boards.

EFILive also has the message board and direct email that I have had great success with getting questions answered through.
If you buy EFILive (actually, even if you didn't) from Jesse at Wait4Me Performance (he is a EFILive distributor), you can call him directly and he is glad to help you personally with any problems or questions you have with the software and tuning. That's one of the reason I when with Live. He can be a little hard to get a hold of sometime cuz so busy being a 1 man operation, but I have always been able to reach him. I have him on speed dial
Old 12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just my 2 cents. I currently have HP Tuners that I bought 2nd hand, and have enjoyed it very much. I just downloaded the latest version 2.0 Something, and that's even nicer, and easier to use. But.....Depending on what I'm doing for work in th near future, I think I'm going to be going to EFI Live Flashscan sometime this year. They offer a little more for your money, and I like the fact that if buy it from Waitforme, you have a number to call to talk to someone in case of problems. Yes, he can be a little hard to get ahold of, but at least all the correspondence doesn't have to go thru Austrailia. I also like their black box logging, instead of having to have you laptop in the vehicle at all times. HP says they have some kind of black box logging deal coming out "soon", but they "sooned" for a whole year with ver 2.0, so I'm not real impresses with that. OK....there's my take on that deal!!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I'm getting swayed. Wonder why this thread has not moved HP lovers to post up.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimS
Thanks. I'm getting swayed. Wonder why this thread has not moved HP lovers to post up.
Ive got Live v7. But Ill reply for ya anyway!!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimS
I've been set on HPT but this thread has made me scratch my head a little as well. EFI live would be cheaper for me. HPT with the inhanced interface, & 2 bar map would run me $950. I can get the same thing with EFI Live for $850. The 2 bar map is only good for one vehicle with HPT. From what I've read here, with EFILive the 2 bar is good for anything you have a license for. Is this correct about HPT and EFI Live?

I really like the $99 per vehicle with Live as well. The vehicle upgrades for HPT is just way too high.

Last edited by mjhoward; 12-05-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I've been set on HPT but this thread has made me scratch my head a little as well. EFI live would be cheaper for me. HPT with the inhanced interface, & 2 bar map would run me $950. I can get the same thing with EFI Live for $850. The 2 bar map is only good for one vehicle with HPT. From what I've read here, with EFILive the 2 bar is good for anything you have a license for. Is this correct about HPT and EFI Live?

I really like the $99 per vehicle with Live as well. The vehicle upgrades for HPT is just way too high.
Yep, once you buy EFILive commercial, there is no other fees for 2 bar or the custom OS's and they keep adding features at no charge. Only cost is $99 per license after 2 (up to 25 per cable, then you got to buy another cable). Live seems to cater to the boosted guys a little better then HTP in my opinion, and there next custom OS's will have the nitrous guys drooling.

Last edited by kbracing96; 12-05-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The forum at Efilive is quite responsive to your questions. They have replied to many questions and are quite helpful in answering questions.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
The forum at Efilive is quite responsive to your questions. They have replied to many questions and are quite helpful in answering questions.

That is a big plus too. I got answers to quite a few of my issues. But all in all I finally feel I got my tune nailed down.

Wideband plugs right into the side with the 3 wire terminal. Nothing else needed. You dont have to use the Innovate Logworks software either. No other cables other than the USB cable from the EFILive box is all youll have.

Last edited by 99Silver5.3; 12-05-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordered EFI Live last night