Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

OS update without removing/overwriting tune ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS update without removing/overwriting tune ??

Is it possible to update the PCM OS without overwriting or removing the SD tune I'm now running (and loving !!), I suppose I could just copy and paste everything into a bin with an updated OS, or I guess I could take it to a dealer and after they flash it, read it and copy/paste from my current bin into my new one.

I'm looking for the easy way out here....any ideas ??
Old 06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

HPT or EFI?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

HPTuners
Old 06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in luck then. Our software will let you compare your file vs any other OS, unlike all other tuning software for GM.

Just save your current file, and when they update it you can open up your new file, then open up your previous file as the compare file.

Put your calibration view in differences mode and just zero out all the differences you find. You can either open up the compare log to see what is changed and double click those individually or just tab through and note the colors of the buttons you see to see whats different.

Should only take you a few minutes.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Can I just use a '00 .bin with all of the available updates if I swap over my VIN ??...if I do this will I have to do the crank relearn ??
Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you have a year/model license then you should be able to without licensing the file. Edit: I just noticed your sig says 99, not 00. You would still need to have a license for the file you are writing in...

If you are doing singel vehicle licenses, then when the dealer updates your tune, it should maintain the stock serial # which shouldn't require a new license (but I cannot gaurantee that).

You can do a crank learn regardless just to be sure, its painless with our software.

Best way is just have the dealer update your tune to the latest and hope it doesn't change your pcm serial # (it most likely won't).. and just use the method I described above to copy over your changes.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'm licensed for '99 and '00 so it should work ok then ?? (I'm distrustful of the dealer here)
Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Yelo
I'm licensed for '99 and '00 so it should work ok then ?? (I'm distrustful of the dealer here)
your golden dude, Crank Learn is not needed, But its free so might as well
Old 06-27-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

It doesn't work.....I used Flash-->Write Entire and it wouldn't start, so I did the VATS relink procedure and it still wouldn't start....I wrote my stock .bin back in using the same procedure and it started right up. What am I missing ???
Old 06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Security relearn... For the time being under "System" Set VATS to "None" and flash again. Will start promise.

Quick Reply: OS update without removing/overwriting tune ??