Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

P0151, rough idle, stalling at idle, slight misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0151, rough idle, stalling at idle, slight misfire

Hey all,

Had to get a little trans labor done and the Pacesetter y pipe has to be removed to get the trans pan off. I ended up running the truck open headered to check the shift points and during the test drive (10 mins?) I ended up throwing a code. It ran rough as **** and felt like it had a mad vacuum leak.

I put the y pipe back on and checked the code. It was a P0151 (Lean Bank 2 sensor 1) so I figured it was a bad o2 sensor. I swapped in an old (but working) sensor I had and still had the same issue even after clearing the codes. The light came back quickly and the idle quality went to ****.

I checked the LTFTs and they were high at ~16. After a minute or two or driving I ended up getting an "OL-fault" and none of the fuel system parameters worked. I assume that stands for open loop. Truck didn't run any better that way either. And it was fully warmed up (190F) so no reason for it to go into open loop.

I'm at a loss right now.

Would a exhaust leak post o2 sensors cause the condition? Nothing else has changed except for the dismounting/mounting of the y pipe...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

exhaust leak is my guess. I got my exhaust redone and had the same issue. Remapped and still had the same problem. Pulled the passengers header and found a small hole a half inch near oxygen sensor. now I'll have to remap again. My guess is you have a leak and it set the code the first time because you were getting air near the sensor that you didn't have before.
I doubt the oxygen sensor was even bad to begin with.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the full DTC diagnostic:

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
This diagnostic applies only to vehicles built with case grounded heated oxygen sensors (HO2S). In order to identify the HO2S, refer to Computers and Controls Systems Component Views.

The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a voltage of about 450 mV between the HO2S high and low signal circuits. The HO2S varies the voltage over a range of about 1,000 mV when the exhaust is rich to about 10 mV when the exhaust is lean.

The PCM monitors and stores the HO2S voltage information. The PCM evaluates the HO2S voltage samples in order to determine the amount of time the HO2S voltage was out of range. The PCM compares the stored HO2S voltage samples taken within each sample period and determines if the majority of the samples are out of the operating range.

The PCM monitors the HO2S voltage for being fixed below a predetermined voltage. If the PCM detects the voltage is below a predetermined voltage, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) sets.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0200, P0300, P0401, P0404, P0405, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P1120, P1125, P1220, P1221, P1258, P1404, P1441, P1514, P1515, P1516, P1517, or P1518 are not set.
  • The vehicle is operating in Closed Loop.
  • The ignition 1 signal is between 9-18 volts .
  • The fuel tank level remaining is more than 10 percent.
  • Intrusive tests are not in progress.
  • The scan tool output controls are not active.
Lean Test Enable:

• The air fuel ratio is between 14.5:1-14.7:1.
  • For vehicles with throttle-actuated control (TAC), the throttle position (TP) indicated angle is between 3-70 percent more than the value observed at idle.
  • For vehicles without TAC, the TP is between 3-70 percent .
Power Enrichment Test Enable:

• Power enrichment is active.
  • The above condition is met for 1 second .
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
Lean Test:
The HO2S voltage is less than 200 mV for 165 seconds .

Power Enrichment Test:
The HO2S voltage is less than 360 mV for 10 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
  • The control module commands Open Loop.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

IMPORTANT: Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent water intrusion into the PCM.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Update,

I changed out to another o2 sensor and still nothing.

So, I ended up starting the truck up while under it with the remote starter. I found a decently sized leak where the y pipe mates up to the single exhaust. Turns out, I didn't tighten up the clamp. So I tightened up the clamp and took it for a test drive. I cleared the code and drove it ~30 miles with no issues. I guess that was it.

Problem solved! Crazy what a little leak can do.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha, like I thought.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't put new donut seals on the Y-pipe to header connection you are almost guaranteed to have a leak there. Even removing the Y-pipe once is enough to chip the hardened graphite seal. A soft new graphite donut isn't crushed to fit yet and will seal all the small gaps properly, then harden into place when the exhaust gets good and hot.