Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Perhaps I may have jumped the gun

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Can you explain why? I want to do some logging and fill in my VE table, but you are saying i cant do this because i am running F/I. Why is that?
Because to easily fill out your VE table, you'll need to disable the MAF sensor... without a 2 bar map sensor, once you hit boost, the PCM will be completely blind and you'll go lean...

I can develop another way of doing it for you while leaving the MAF in place, but will require you to have a wideband hooked up to do so. Will require me to create a couple of custom PIDs, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll get the necessary details from you.

Justin
Old 09-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Hello Dave

Thats the thing, its not just WOT, its part throttle too. Look at the log, i have KR at part throttle quite a bit.
Actually though, looking through your logs, the vast majority of your KR comes in at heavy throttle. The low-load KR that shows up in any maps is just the KR tapering towards zero. The key points in looking at KR are the points where it spikes up, as opposed to the entire trianglish shape.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc_justin
Because to easily fill out your VE table, you'll need to disable the MAF sensor... without a 2 bar map sensor, once you hit boost, the PCM will be completely blind and you'll go lean...

I can develop another way of doing it for you while leaving the MAF in place, but will require you to have a wideband hooked up to do so. Will require me to create a couple of custom PIDs, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll get the necessary details from you.

Justin
Okay, cool. I should have the wideband here next week. Can i get a 2bar MAP and use it too? Would it incorporate itself into the tune even if i did not run in SD mode? I would like to have a 2 bar MAP just to be able to dial in the fuel, but does it mean I have to run a SD tune?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello Dave

Okay, cool. I should have the wideband here next week. Can i get a 2bar MAP and use it too? Would it incorporate itself into the tune even if i did not run in SD mode? I would like to have a 2 bar MAP just to be able to dial in the fuel, but does it mean I have to run a SD tune?
Nope, you can run a 2 bar MAP with a MAF, I've done it for over a year now. Your fueling will be more precise this way, and if you choose, you can run a custom OS and have even better fueling control.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, you can run a 2 bar MAP with a MAF, I've done it for over a year now. Your fueling will be more precise this way, and if you choose, you can run a custom OS and have even better fueling control.

Nice...

...consider it ordered.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Actually though, looking through your logs, the vast majority of your KR comes in at heavy throttle. The low-load KR that shows up in any maps is just the KR tapering towards zero. The key points in looking at KR are the points where it spikes up, as opposed to the entire trianglish shape.
Knock Retard Decay-Decay Rate. Bump it up so it recovers alot quicker. This will help highlight real knock IMO. Real knock will appear more choppy on a graph instead of trailing off and hiding real knock. It's not really hiding, you are getting retard for protecton, but you know what I mean right?

justin, i forgot how you are set up...are you setting your maf to fail at particular hertz?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Justin
If he is in SD then yes with a 1bar map he's blind but Ive tuned his exact same setup and the maf was close to maxed but there was still enough lee way to get by. I think the guy was seeing around 13khz wot and max is 14khz.

Ive outlined my tuning method for the MAF in the stickies up top and it works, Ive used it on a 408 with spray and an 8.1 with a whipple, NA engines its even easier the methodology is simple set your pe close to the mathmatical commanded afr like if you want 12.0:1 set it too 1.22 and scan. Then tweak the curve using the trims when not in pe fueling and eyeball it when your in pe. The MAF HZ table has 100+ cells where you can tweak each point in the throttle where as the pe table has alot less, the ve table has good resolution but you cant use it effectively in this case.
Kano: saw me do it a couple days ago and it lines **** up very quickly and easily.

Whipple 496: Id bet every dollar I have(which isnt alot) that if you drop those IAT's 100 degrees 90% of his KR goes away. Id tune the fuel first before even thinking about raising timing. Id also be shooting for a fat WOT for safety sake then once shes dialed in start hunting power. You maf table is under
engine calibration-maf-maf sensor calibration its a positive sloping curve we want to keep it in that shape, the changes you'll make will be percentages like muliplying by 1.05= adding 5%
-I would also enable pe mode early around 40% tps
-set enrichment rate to the max (pe delay counter adjustment=max I think its 409.6 in efi live)
-your pe modifier based on RPM is a lamda value set it too .8 you can change it later
The methods Im describing are only a band-aid the real fix is getting a map to read boost and an OS that can add fuel for boost

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 09-11-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Whipple 496: Id bet every dollar I have(which isnt alot) that if you drop those IAT's 100 degrees 90% of his KR goes away. Id tune the fuel first before even thinking about raising timing. Id also be shooting for a fat WOT for safety sake then once shes dialed in start hunting power. You maf table is under
engine calibration-maf-maf sensor calibration its a positive sloping curve we want to keep it in that shape, the changes you'll make will be percentages like muliplying by 1.05= adding 5%
-I would also enable pe mode early around 40% tps
-set enrichment rate to the max (pe delay counter adjustment=max I think its 409.6 in efi live)
-your pe modifier based on RPM is a lamda value set it too .8 you can change it later
The methods Im describing are only a band-aid the real fix is getting a map to read boost and an OS that can add fuel for boost
Whoa, whoa, whoa Sierra02. Im a virgin on prom night here. Dont give me info overload..... I would say you are probably correct about the IAT's being way high, actually i know your correct as other have already told me. However, i still think alot can be tuned out by adding some fuel and sacrificing some timing. I only say this because I had a pretty good tune back in March right after the Whipple went on and with no I/C. At that point i think the most we saw was 2*-3* of KR. Of course i had a much less trainned eye back then. Maybe i was being shown what he wanted me to see...LOL.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Hello Dave

Whipple 496: Id bet every dollar I have(which isnt alot) that if you drop those IAT's 100 degrees 90% of his KR goes away.
His tuner zero'd out his IAT spark correction table, that is likely 95% of his IAT knock issue. I've added one in and sent him a tune to work with that'll clear up those issues.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Hello Dave

Ive outlined my tuning method for the MAF in the stickies up top and it works, Ive used it on a 408 with spray and an 8.1 with a whipple, NA engines its even easier the methodology is simple set your pe close to the mathmatical commanded afr like if you want 12.0:1 set it too 1.22 and scan. Then tweak the curve using the trims when not in pe fueling and eyeball it when your in pe. The MAF HZ table has 100+ cells where you can tweak each point in the throttle where as the pe table has alot less, the ve table has good resolution but you cant use it effectively in this case.
Kano: saw me do it a couple days ago and it lines **** up very quickly and easily.
He's using EFI Live, and knowing that, I can create a couple of PIDs for him that will allow him to tune his VE table and MAF while the MAF is still functioning to keep him safe.