Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

question about guage readings

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about guage readings

I just recently installed (2) aeroforce interceptor guages that plug into the diagnositc port and are able to scan something like 28 different tuning parameters and display (2) values each while driving. I dont know much about tuning at all or what the guages should be reading but alot of the values jump all over the place and are hard to catch.

Long Term Fuel Trim (bank 1 and 2)
idle = 18.0 - 25.0 ~ ( I have gotten a lean condition code through the ses light.)
part throttle = 7.0~ to 17.0~
full throttle = 13-14.0~

timing advance
idle = 20.0~ to 36.0
full throttle = I have seen 40.0~ +

02 voltage bank 1
idle = 110-885, jumps all over the fn place

02 voltage bank 2
idle = 445, seems to stay there give or take a few.

Zero knock retard at any time and I run 93 octane.

These values jump all over the place and are hard to read. These guages have the ability to record a run at 60% plus throttle for around 45 seconds in which I have not done. How do these values appear to measure up and what can I do to log some numbers that can give you all some better information as to where my tune sits. I havent gotten any of the part throttle tuning done due to a bad O2 sensor when I had it partly tuned 2 months ago. I have replaced the O2 sensors for both bank 1 and 2 since then so these reading are off of the new sensors. If any one has any input or advice, I would much appreciate it.
-Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

I did notice that it runs more timing when it runs rich when comparing the 2 values, and pulls timing when it runs lean. The 40+ timing advance I experience was while running a value of 7.0~ in the LTFT which I assume is pig rich. I am guessing I will have to see what each value reads and compares at certain RPM's. It idles kind of rough due to the cam, so Im guessing that is why the values jump all over the place at idle.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
I just recently installed (2) aeroforce interceptor guages that plug into the diagnositc port and are able to scan something like 28 different tuning parameters and display (2) values each while driving. I dont know much about tuning at all or what the guages should be reading but alot of the values jump all over the place and are hard to catch.

Long Term Fuel Trim (bank 1 and 2)
idle = 18.0 - 25.0 ~ ( I have gotten a lean condition code through the ses light.)
part throttle = 7.0~ to 17.0~
full throttle = 13-14.0~

timing advance
idle = 20.0~ to 36.0
full throttle = I have seen 40.0~ +

02 voltage bank 1
idle = 110-885, jumps all over the fn place

02 voltage bank 2
idle = 445, seems to stay there give or take a few.

Zero knock retard at any time and I run 93 octane.

These values jump all over the place and are hard to read. These guages have the ability to record a run at 60% plus throttle for around 45 seconds in which I have not done. How do these values appear to measure up and what can I do to log some numbers that can give you all some better information as to where my tune sits. I havent gotten any of the part throttle tuning done due to a bad O2 sensor when I had it partly tuned 2 months ago. I have replaced the O2 sensors for both bank 1 and 2 since then so these reading are off of the new sensors. If any one has any input or advice, I would much appreciate it.
-Thanks in advance
hmmm...first off, the values are pretty worthless in just watching/tuning on the whim. The o2's are supposed to be oscillating...going lean then rich, lean to rich, lean to rich, both of them. Until you go WOT (PE or open loop) then they will read constant. Again, being narrowbands, not very reliable for WOT readings, but they will put you in the ballpark for a few seconds (they are very temperature sensitive). The bank 2 just sitting there is a BAD bad bad sign.

Your trims seems very high, but then again, your bank2 sensor seems to be dead, just by your post, it should be flucuating just like bank 1.

40* is aweful high. Your LT's seem to be adding alot of fuel constantly. 17 is ridiculous but not unbelieveable if you have a wacked out ve table or a bad o2 or something going on in the maf, iat sensor, ect. 7 is sorta high but for everyday driving shouldn't hurt much. Just means the vcm is adding fuel to try to keep up with emmissions and effiency(and stoich obviously)
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
hmmm...first off, the values are pretty worthless in just watching/tuning on the whim. The o2's are supposed to be oscillating...going lean then rich, lean to rich, lean to rich, both of them. Until you go WOT (PE or open loop) then they will read constant. Again, being narrowbands, not very reliable for WOT readings, but they will put you in the ballpark for a few seconds (they are very temperature sensitive). The bank 2 just sitting there is a BAD bad bad sign.

Your trims seems very high, but then again, your bank2 sensor seems to be dead, just by your post, it should be flucuating just like bank 1.

40* is aweful high. Your LT's seem to be adding alot of fuel constantly. 17 is ridiculous but not unbelieveable if you have a wacked out ve table or a bad o2 or something going on in the maf, iat sensor, ect. 7 is sorta high but for everyday driving shouldn't hurt much. Just means the vcm is adding fuel to try to keep up with emmissions and effiency(and stoich obviously)
thanks dewmanshu for the info. I guess I gotta replace that O2 sensor; last time it was just unplugged (long story) and replaced both any ways, and Ill check and clean the MAF sensor while I am at it. I will see what happens then and try to get some better numbers such as what the timing advance, vs LTFT, vs AI temps, at the same moment in time, and try it at different throttle positions. How do I interpret LTFT, I thought a number lower than 14 meant it was running rich and higher than 14 was lean?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
thanks dewmanshu for the info. I guess I gotta replace that O2 sensor; last time it was just unplugged (long story) and replaced both any ways, and Ill check and clean the MAF sensor while I am at it. I will see what happens then and try to get some better numbers such as what the timing advance, vs LTFT, vs AI temps, at the same moment in time, and try it at different throttle positions. How do I interpret LTFT, I thought a number lower than 14 meant it was running rich and higher than 14 was lean?
On my HPT, I habdle LTFT's as anything over 0 is adding fuel. The other way, like a negative LTFT means the vcm is taking away fuel.

I hate just replacing sensors, usually something else is going on. But just sitting there like that isn't too good. Maybe check the wiring to it first before replacing it. Spending money on sensors suck. You'd think you'd have a ses light or some sort of lean code (even rich, but vcm is doing alot of adding)
Old 09-20-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

You can slow the data down on those aeroforce interceptor gauges
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
On my HPT, I habdle LTFT's as anything over 0 is adding fuel. The other way, like a negative LTFT means the vcm is taking away fuel.

I hate just replacing sensors, usually something else is going on. But just sitting there like that isn't too good. Maybe check the wiring to it first before replacing it. Spending money on sensors suck. You'd think you'd have a ses light or some sort of lean code (even rich, but vcm is doing alot of adding)
I think something else is going on because that is a new sensor and it is doing the same thing but was never able to read it until now and when I first tried to get it tuned. I will try swapping bank 1 with bank 2 sensors to see if the problem switches to the other side, if not than its something in the wiring harness I suppose. I have had an ses light for a few months and when i did a diagnostic check a few days ago, it was lean condition for banks 1 and 2. The condition has returned again.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
You can slow the data down on those aeroforce interceptor gauges
thanks, I will try that. I havnt had a whole lotta time to play with these guages
Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 AM

well, you are certainly onto something, your LT's defintiely say lean and you have the code to prove it. You more than likely aren't lean, just square that sensor away and you'll be golden ( i have the luxury to say that sense it's not my problem huh? LOL)