Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Random/Multiple Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is a very good tuner. I will not through out names but anyone around the Jacksonville, Fl area will know who he is. This did not start right after the tune. I started having the problem about a year and a half after he tuned the truck. My heads were shaved but not dramatic, just enough to clean the mating surface. Checked the length with a pushrod length checker and the 7.4s would work so that is what was installed. I have been back to him a few times and we spend a few hours trouble shooting and then get tired and say we will do some more later. I am sure it is not in the tune it is with the truck somewhere just trying figure out where is the bad part, especially with no other codes showing except random multiple misfire.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah that one is kinda odd. Strange its not throwing any other codes.....
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Tell me about it, this thing is driving me nuts. In the last few months I have changed every sensor, spark plugs and wires. Like my original post says the only thing that has not been changed is the injectors, coils and all the hair I have pulled out.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Well I took of my unhooked my battery yesterday and cleaned the MAF with nearly a whole can of CRC MAF cleaner. Brought the MAF inside and let it set over night to dry good. Got home tonight and put the MAF back in and hooked the battery back up. Went for a drive and rode for around 45 miles. Not a single flicker of the check engine light. Torque converter locked like it should the whole time. So maybe the MAF had a film on it from the cheap cleaner I used a few months ago. Hopefully the issue is fixed. I will update in a few days to let yall know how it is going. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Well misfire came back. Figured out how to fix it though. Going tomorrow to get another motor and trans. Going stock until I get my new motor finished.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Well got the motor back to the house and started tearing the truck apart. Well got the whole radiator support out and started and started on a few other things. Found something interesting. Under the coolant container where it mounts to the bracket I found where the harness for the MAF was pinched between it and where it bolts to the airbox assembly. The factory ran a bolt right through the center of the harness, the wire loom has a hole where it went through. The wires ain't cut or split but the were really smashed together. Figure the reason my misfire would come and go when I messed with the MAF was when I would unhook it or move the wire it would shift a little. Not real sure but we put it back together and ran it a little up and down the road with no misfires. So maybe that was my problem this whole time. Guess I will see.