Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Readiness test?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Readiness test?

Ok I cannot get my truck to pass the rediness test. It will not go through the catalyst and evaporative system, it just says incomplete. yes I have traveled a long enough amount of time. About 1000 miles or more. what I did is turn off the rear 02 cause i have no cats. my driver side rear o2 is completely turned off cause that is where I have my wideband plugged in. But I thought the computer would pass all the test regardless if the rear 02 are turned off. BTW they are all set to 3 no error reported and the SES light is turned off. What the hell is up.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

yea i would like more info on this.. i might have to worry about this in a few years.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will be able to pass with one of the readiness still "not ready" (at least in PA). It has taken me over 1k before to have them all go into ready. Here is a tip. Fill up to the brim and make as many short trips as you can making sure that you get to operating temperature each time. That worked for me. I was taking my truck to work (1.5 hr commute each way) and filling up every 3 days which never let the EVAP system to fall ready for some reason.

I have my rear cat codes off as well as a few others and my catalyst readiness went ready in like 500 miles of mostly short trips.

Are you reflashing, undoing the battery or somehow letting the voltage to the PCM drop? I have heard of a dying battery causing this as well. A faulty battery will make the PCM think that it is disconnected everytime you shut off the truck.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

if the code is deleted from the PCM it should pose as ready. Thats what mine did, I deleted Evap and the rear 02 codes and passed.
i think the computer relearn thing actually works off cranks not miles.
Thats what i was told anyways, could be wrong!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Everytime you load a tune or clear dtc's you have to start all over. Same goes with unhooking that battery for a minute or 2 (maybe 5 minutes). I am in the same boat as krambo. DLH2006, if you turn the code off, at least on mine it doesn't make you automatically go ready. If that was the case, turn everything off then. Turning the code off just keeps the vcm from seeing a reason to NOT perform the test. Every once in a blew moon I notice I have passed my tests (all). Short trips like krambo says will usually get it done, follow that link and it will get done.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

if the code is deleted from the pcm VIA tuning and the drive cycle or "starts" are completed the computer believes that everything is A-ok.

The first time i went for inspection i failed because of Evap. Nelson deleted the code i installed the pcm drove around here and there went back and they hooked it up and i passed the test. In LA i believe you can only have one "not ready" status in order to pass.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be wrong, but maryland is 80% of the readiness test have to be good. Which i think is 2 may be not ready. I think. WHo knows, emissions is a F'ed operation.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your catalyst readiness test will never complete, this is due to you not having cats. This test uses the rear O2s to check the efficiency of the cats, once it likes the results it will complete the readiness test. Just because you disabled the rear O2 codes (unchecked SES ENABLE, 3 - NO ERROR REPORTED), doesn't mean you will pass the sniffer. The Evap might be in the same loop, possibly not, but if those codes are also disabled then the test will never complete. I have these readiness test incomplete on my 2001 SS, and I have not flashed the file for about three months. This is plenty of time to complete any readiness tests, but since I have not cats (turned off the codes just like you), they can not complete. Now if you put O2 sims in the back to simulate the (missing) cats are functioning properly, then these test will complete after about 100 miles. Here is Ca, you will not pass if a readiness test in not completed. Good luck!

Last edited by 12secSS; 02-09-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, alot of parameters must be met before the EVAP system will run it's test...I believe that some of these parameters include, fuel tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full, engine at operating temp, vehicle speed must be above 25mph for a certain amount of time, ambient temp between 11* and 89* (or some poop like that).
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Your catalyst readiness test will never complete, this is due to you not having cats. This test uses the rear O2s to check the efficiency of the cats, once it likes the results it will complete the readiness test. Just because you disabled the rear O2 codes (unchecked SES ENABLE, 3 - NO ERROR REPORTED), doesn't mean you will pass the sniffer. The Evap might be in the same loop, possibly not, but if those codes are also disabled then the test will never complete. I have these readiness test incomplete on my 2001 SS, and I have not flashed the file for about three months. This is plenty of time to complete any readiness tests, but since I have not cats (turned off the codes just like you), they can not complete. Now if you put O2 sims in the back to simulate the (missing) cats are functioning properly, then these test will complete after about 100 miles. Here is Ca, you will not pass if a readiness test in not completed. Good luck!
it is so funny because at one point when I was driving around and the 02 codes turned off, the freakin catalyst test completed but the other test did not (like the 02 and all). Then I went back and tried to reflash it and see if it would complete them again and then it would not. and all the others started.

Originally Posted by Nick
Nick™ in HP Tuners:
check the marker for the ses light and from the dropdown box select "no error reported"
the light will never come on b/c it is set to never report the error, that's the setting that is used when there are "hidden" codes in the computer, they don't trigger the ses light, but they are stored in the computer's memory for future reference.
OH

Last edited by desTRUCKtive; 02-09-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Readiness test?