Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

real rough idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only things that are stock and have not been replaced are the fuel pump, fuel injectors, vapor canister, est module, tried an ecm-didn't fix it so didn't keep it, torque converter, alternator, everything on the transmission is original.

We changed the fuel filter twice. The coil has been changed. The coil wire has been changed twice because the first wire arced and left a bad connection on the wire.

The dealer used their scan tool and drove around and never found anything. They will have to try that again I guess because the idle seems worse.

I have 2 weird things that don't add up. The exhaust has had a strong odor to it during this whole ordeal. The paint on my truck where the exhaust is is actually showing specks where the clear is being stained by something or chipping off only on that side of the exhaust. (This started happening a little while after all these problems started) Everyone says my exhaust is very strong and no one has smelled anything like it.

The other thing is alot of these idle problems seem to have gotten worse when the mechanic almost 2 years ago put on a new fuel pressure regulator. I told him this and he changed it again he said but it still had a unstable idle.

This truck is a show truck that I have keep original except for the wheels and exhaust. I spent 14 years taking care of this truck as a daily driver knowing someday I would show it for fun. I thought when I got the new engine and I acquired another daily driver I would be able to make my dreams come true which I did this year at a few shows and I was shocked that I won some trophies. I really want to figure out what is wrong with this truck. My dad has worked so hard to help me and hates it for me. This truck is kicking my butt though! I appreciate your help and advice. I am going to start over and recheck some of the things you all have mentioned.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of strong odor is it? Could it maybe be a Catalytic converter stopped up? I read this whole thread, and have no idea. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a TBI truck that has idle issues and it turned out to be the bushings worn out in the Throttle body where the throttle blade shaft goes through. I replaced the TB and had no more problems.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

ok well... i would guess try the fuel pump next and see what happens...

while in park... what will happen if you rev it and hold it to like 1500 or 2000 rpms?

the exhaust being odd smelling is NOT good... if you can get your hands on an exhaust or y-pipe w/o the cats and bolt that up, maybe that could be a possiblity to see if you can solve the exhaust problem.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

THe tbi housing assembly was replaced but it is louder than the old one. You can hear it with the hood up alot more than I ever remember before. In park or neutral I can rev it up but it still cuts out every once in awhile while you are doing this.

If I took it to a muffler shop (which I have 2 times already) what can they do to make sure the converter is not the problem? The exhaust smell will burn your eyes just being around the truck. I thought maybe the mixture was off. I don't know. It is not a rotten egg smell but just a strong odor.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea, I'm not much of a diagnostics man . I can just fix it if it tears up... I wish you the best of luck, hopefully someone on here, or your mechanic can figure it out.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
THe tbi housing assembly was replaced but it is louder than the old one. You can hear it with the hood up alot more than I ever remember before. In park or neutral I can rev it up but it still cuts out every once in awhile while you are doing this.

If I took it to a muffler shop (which I have 2 times already) what can they do to make sure the converter is not the problem? The exhaust smell will burn your eyes just being around the truck. I thought maybe the mixture was off. I don't know. It is not a rotten egg smell but just a strong odor.
The dealer should have a guage that screws into the O2 sensor bung to check if the exhaust backpressure is within spec.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder why they haven't tried that gauge on the o2. I am going to ask them about that to see if they have one. I just can't figure out if it is ignition, fuel or something else that is causing this. It is so intermittent when you let it idle.

I think the exhaust odor means something but what I don't know yet.

Last edited by chevygirl; 09-01-2006 at 11:22 AM. Reason: change
Old 09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

have you replaced the o2s?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer should have also been able to pick up a rich/lean condition with their scan tool or other monitoring equipment. They can also monitor what is going on with the transmission etc. For example, is the 3rd gear driveability issue related to torque converter lockup?

Does the idle issue occur in P/N, in gear or both? What engine vacuum do you see with a gauge? Were any DTCs set?

Quick Reply: real rough idle!!!