Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

real rough idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have checked for vacuum leaks a bunch of times with no luck but it won't hurt to check again. I have a new gm intake manifold for about 6 months but I had this idle problem before. It seems worse at times since the new manifold especially the driveability issue with the shaking because before it would just not go like it had no power in the cruising speeds but now it shakes. Will that carb cleaner hurt anything? This is a show truck that is clean and shined up under the hood. The vacuum was so strong it was messing up the new vacuum line on the pcv and would suck the skin off your finger on the pcv it was so strong.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to check for a vacuum leak again and probably change the vapor canister. Would that cause a driveablity issue? I need to rule out the exhaust too. (cat) I should be able in a week or so to work on it since I have been sick.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Teching In

vapor can a good idea to look at . if still have problem hook volt meter to oxygen sensor to see what reading is. if no voltage unplug and see if smooths out
Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the O2 we checked and the voltage was working like it is suppose to. You could tell the computer was changing the mixture because it would get lean and then a little rich by looking at the voltage changes. This weekend I am checking for vacuum leaks and I am going to change the vapor canister. I also have a fuel smell passenger side under the hood and in the air filter itself and the housing. You can smell it just walking by with the hood up. The bad odor in the exhaust is still there and it takes forever for my truck to warm up to normal operating temp at idle. Like more than 20 minutes. I am going to work on it this weekend and she if I find anything.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked the intake manifold for vacuum leaks and around the booster. I haven't found any hissing yet. I am using a 1/4 inch hose. The truck takes forever to warm up so I am wondering if the thermostat needs replacing. It is not overheating. I am going to get a vapor canister and try it. The exhaust odor seems even worse. It smells like a sweet sulfer odor that will make your eyes water if you smell it. I am going to go talk to the mechanic face to face next week because the pinging has gotten so bad I can not really drive it. It just started pinging after the new engine was installed. I think the timing may be off. Get this he changed the engine because I called them and told them the oil was a funny yellow color and was up one inch too high on the oil stick. I checked it for the first time last night since I got it back and it is the same thing so I guess they just changed the engine for no reason.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Teching In

have you looked at the sparkplugs see if they are black or soaked with fuel. this missfire is it all the time or only when the truck is warm??
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

If "funny yellow oil" could be like a milky color sounds like coolant in the oil. Head gasket maybe?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

THe oil is not milky in color. I just had my 2nd new goodwrench engine put in so they must have been wrong by the description I gave they just ordered a new engine since I have had problems. I don't believe 2 engines would do the same thing. I think the oil they use at the dealer must be more yellow than the oil I use.

To the other question about the plugs the mechanic said they looked fine when he switched engines. Every time I pulled them they looked fine. It is not using any oil I know that. The idle problem is intermittent but most of the time. It does it cold, and hot. I am buying a infared thermometer today to do some tests this weekend. I am looking for a air fuel meter to diagnosis with. There is one on ebay but I don't know anything about them.

If I give it a quick throttle in park the idle gets really messed up. It messes up with the truck in all gears and shakes when you drive it especially in 40-up. It pings at the same time that it is shaking.

The truck takes 20 minutes at idle to warm up. Thermostat may be on the way out. Is there a way to measure with the infared therm. what temp the coolant temp sensor is doing?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay new info cat is running at 170 degrees F exhaust gas temp is around 150
Thermostat is only reading 180-185 degrees through the housing with infared thermometer. Coolant temp sensor reading 160. Any ideas what this might be? I know the cat is suppose to much hotter.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:18 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

maybe you are running really really really rich and all the fuel isnt getting burned causing you to run real cold? it woudl explain the smells, and the temperature, you could buy a hotter heat range spark plug

Quick Reply: real rough idle!!!