Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

real rough idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on replacing the thermostat because it is taking 15 to 20 minutes to warm up and I don't think from my readings it is warming up to 195 F like it is suppose to. I am trying to find out what the temps on the coolant temp should be and coming out the tailpipe temps should be. Richer I thought would make the cat run hotter?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

no, i think richer runs colder, thats why you only burn your cylinders and heads and stuff when you go lean...when you use a cutting torch, you press the oxygen supply lever when you want to start cutting which turns the flame from a cold orange to a hot blue. im not good with thermal applications or cats but i would richer would be cooler
Old 09-23-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youre right, richer is cooler. Sulfur you say? You sure it isnt kind of like boiled eggs?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I know the cat is plugged because the temp going in is 350 and the temp coming out converter is 160. Muffler shop said it should be hotter coming out the backside of the converter. Now I am trying to figure out if why the converter clogged in only 5,000 miles. Something is causing a problem. I am reading the thermostat through the housing with an infared and it only reads 180 or so. Coolant temp is only reading 160 or so and it is suppose to be 194 according to the book. I am trying to figure out if it is lean or rich or is it something else?

Maybe someone that knows alot about these temps can help out. My dad and I have never smelled anything like it and I have smell the rotten eggs smell. It is more of a sweet smell. Might be fuel. The cat must not be completely clogged yet because there is some exhaust coming out. The smell must be the cat not getting hot and cooking what is coming in before it comes out.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 PM

i would believe that the more unburned fuel that enters the cat, the faster it will get clogged. i dont know that much about any of your temperatures but if you are running cooler than you should, you smell fuel, your cats are getting clogged sounds like you are running rich
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am now trying to figure out why I am running rich. Fuel pressure is right on the line going to the fuel pressure regulator. Running at 13PSI.

I wonder how long it takes for fuel or anything else to mess up the converter. I wanted to know if it is an instant thing or does it take time. Two years ago when I put the converter on I was burning alot of oil and I am wondering if it is just now toast.

Injectors are not leaking and pressure is good. That just leaves the ecm reading something that is wrong and throwing off the mix or the regulator which is only 2 years old. I need to get a fuel air mixture meter of some kind to figure it out.

The cat is not completely clogged because I am getting some exhuast out the tailpipes. It is suppose to be hotter coming out the converter than in the front.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 PM

burning oil through the cats is THE FASTEST way to get them clogged up. i would look to those, maybe get your fueling problem checked out and if you get that figured out, invest in some highflow cats or something. maybe your idle issues are from your crappy cats?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay I realize now this shop should have told me the oil would mess one up instead of just putting it on. Now 6,000 miles later it doesn't work and I have to start over. My mechanic said I had an internal coolant leak but it wasn't real bad. That could have messed it up too. I guess he didn't think about that. Also the O2 may be bad from the leak. Now I have to talk the mechanic into starting over and checking everything to make sure the next converter doesn't go bad. I think I am going to get a gm one because the last one was an aftermarket and it had a bad resonance noise that drove me crazy under light throttle. I need to know the new engine is not leaking coolant too.

How do I know if the truck is in closed loop? The O2 may be messed up from the coolant so I can't depend on it. I will replace it when the cat is replaced. Does the car have to reach 195 before it goes into closed loop? My thermostat is not allowing the truck to reach 195 and I am replacing it. The coolant sensor is running too low because of that.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay update on the truck!!

Put in new thermostat oem 195 and new coolant temp sensor. Truck still will not warm up to 195 no matter how long it runs. Now I am wondering if the cat could be causing it to not warm up? Truck is bad enough now I can't drive it because it pings and there is a vibration or resonance coming back to the cab like the exhaust is stopped up. I am taking it to the mechanic to check the fuel rich or lean? Something has screwed up this cat in 6,000 miles. My idle is too high also. Always has been since all of this started and the mechanic did some work including putting on a fuel pressure regulator. Idle runs 1200 or more to start and 700 is far as it will come down to in drive. I read this could be the cat. My exhaust temps on the manifolds by the block only get to 400 max. Is this too cold?
Old 09-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

are you reading the temp by the stock gauge they are not very accurate.also pluged cats cause high temps.

Quick Reply: real rough idle!!!