Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

real rough idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using an infared thermometer by fluke. My dad thinks I am running rich because the exhaust smell like gas sort of and that is keeping my truck from warming up all the way. My cat is definitely not working and the way I have all this resonance in the cab and it will release all of the sudden and I get power back I think it is partially clogged. I don't know why the truck won't warm up at idle but 20 mins and it still doesn't get above 186. No matter how long it runs. It used to go up to around 200 on the gauge and then the thermostat would open up all the way and the gauge would come down to 195 and sit there.

Man I sure hope I can figure this out or someone so my new cat doesn't get messed up.

Also have a leak coming out the weep hole on the flywheel/converter cover behind the oil pan. I can't tell if it is trans fluid or not. Ever since the new engine was put in 2 years ago I have had so many oil leaks it has been a pain. Now the new engine is doing the same thing. I hope this mechanic doesn't loose his mind like I think I might if I don't get this figured out.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Latest on truck. Mechanic could not find anything wrong with the fuel mixture. The idle is running around 900 and will not come down much. He ran some new ground wires on the computer and there was no change in the idle. He checked the IAC counts and he said ran all kinds of tests. He said he had no idea why the idle was high unless it was the converter being clogged. He said my oil was that color from probably not driving it. He said it wasn't milky in color and not to worry. I told him I had been driving it so he didn't say anything. Maybe the exhaust is backing up into the engine and the mixture not being cooked off by the converter is causing the funny oil color and to be high on the stick. I don't know I am not a mechanic. Now I am going to put a new cat on and see if it fixes everything going on.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Latest is I am getting a new cat put on next week as soon as my oil comes back from being analyzed at blackstone lab. I hope the cat fixing all the problems I am having. The truck idle is extremely high since the mechanic had it. He ran some new wires on the ecm and said it was high for him before and after this but it seems worse. Running 1500 RPM when the truck starts up. I will let ya'll know next week.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a new cat converter and there was no change. Still have high and rough idle, truck pings. Old cat was purple. Guy said it got burned by either too lean or rich. Mechanic says it is not either. Now I have to take it back to him when he can get to it in a week or two.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

just set it on fire
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Why do you keep taking it to the same "mechanic" ? It's obvious he can't or won't take the time to fix it. There has got to be a shop around Memphis that can diagnose your problem.
Ron
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had it to 4 mechanics and nobody has tried to help me but this guy. He really is determined to fix it but he has running out of ideas. GM will not back up work done by independent facilities. It is some kind of hidden problem.

I am not setting my truck on fire. You can't blow up everything that needs repair. This problem could happen to anybody on any vehicle and you can't just set it on fire. I have a den full of trophies for this truck. I am not getting rid of it. A GM dealership should be able to fix a GM car regardless of what is wrong with it.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

the GM dealership wont do anything? seems like they'd do it, it would just cost you whatever they wanted to charge....if a dealership threw out every customer who ever had someone else touch their vehicle they would quickly be upside down
Old 10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Have you done a compression test ? Are all 8 cyl. pretty close to the same pressure ? How about a cracked cylinder head ? Bad head gasket ? You should have gutted the cat and put it back on. Then no more troubles with cat converters . You could always put a new cat on later , if your conscience starts bothering you . Maybe you could take it to a "bigger" dealer . One with more equipment. Keep us informed , I want to know what is really wrong with your truck .
Ron
Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did take it to a big volume dealer. I have had the same symptons on 2 brand new GM engines. It is not the engine. It is something else. The fumes coming out the tailpipe have been strong since we started having problems with the truck and ended up putting a new engine in. I have to go through inspection so I have to have the cat. I have put gm parts on because aftermarket parts lead to excuses as to what is really wrong. This is what it is doing. Cat was not working at all.

High idle 1500 at start up cold 950 in drive after warm up
Will not warm up to 195 with new thermostat and old thermostat
Pinging after going through the gears usually in overdrive
Rough unstable idle (gets worse when you move from park to drive and rev. it gets all off when you change it)
Shakes and shimmeys when you are trying to give it mid throttle to increase speed

You can see I have changed alot of parts by reading through the posts. Mechanic supposely is stumped but wants me to bring it back to try to figure it out.

Quick Reply: real rough idle!!!