Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Researching HPTuners, mileage and other newb ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Researching HPTuners, mileage and other newb ?s

I'm looking into ditching my HPP3 and getting the HPTuners setup. Still quite new at this, have read the Chevy High Performance write-up on HPTuners and a few of the stickier threads here, but have a couple ?s.

My truck is the thing in the sig...basic 1/2 ton ECSB 4wd. Pretty much no mods at the moment except a K&N drop-in and the hopefully soon to ebayed HPP3. Plans are very mild, i.e. electric fans of some kind and probably a Magnaflow catback.

First thing I was curious about is what type of mileage gain I can expect with HPTuners? As I understand it the gains are to be had from the lean-cruise hackery and DFCO...i.e., what I've read here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4929 Are there MPG gains to be had elsewhere? (Bear in mind I'm *really* new at this, and am just going by what I've been reading on forums). I'd like to at minimum offset the cost of 91 octane (currently running HPP3 87 tune). Also willing to jump on this stuff sooner if I know that it will eventualy pay for itself.

Second big question is how tempermental the tune will be with varying qualities of gas, temperature, humidity, and altitude. I'm in so cal so all tuning would likely be done on a nice 80 degree day. Will custom tuning run into trouble at 120* climbing the hill to get to Vegas or 0* @ 10,000ft in Brian Head with gas from some random station?

And one last question...would you all recommend doing fans first or the tune first?

Oh wait...and one more....the basic $499 price on the hptuners site.... is that setup really letting you tune four VINs? 8 GM credits total, 2 for each vehicle?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have HPTuners and I am local to you, I can provide a hands on sampling if you would like, although I do not yet have support for newer trucks (I will very soon). Yes, the introductory price allows you to tune upto four VIN locked vehicles. Or a combination of other options. If tuned properly, all of the correction tables should take care of any varing altitude or weather changes. As for your fans question, it really doesn't matter IMHO.
George P. Lara: 2001 Camaro SS #0391
HPTuners for '98-'02 F-Bodies & '99-'02 Trucks

Jenibella Racing Crew Chief
1998 Camaro Z28: 9.94 @ 137, 1.45
Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't count on MPG increase and do the fans after the tune, by using HP Tuners you can use your trucks PCM to run the fans with a special built harness, this is by far the cleanest and most reliable way to run electric fans
Old 07-11-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear the altitude/temp won't hurt it...just got back from a weekend Brian Head MTB trip and saw 11,300ft on the moutain and 111* thru the desert on the way back. Think I'll be doing tune first at this point. Appreciate the offer to show me how it works but I think I'm just going to go for it at this point...might wait a bit for a few clients to pay up though.

Not counting on the mileage going up..but would definitely appreciate it. Burned 86 gallons this weekend.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

So basically for 500 a person is set to tune with everything included except a laptop.

You also get credits to tune 4 vehicles??? Is it any vehicles you want or just the truck line.

Sorry for my newbieness. Show me a LT1 and I will run circles around you. I am just not happy with my wait4me tune so I am turning to this.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the difference between the 499 version and the 649 version?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by agreif
What's the difference between the 499 version and the 649 version?
The 649 vesion is the "MPVI "PRO", which I'd get if you can. It was four inputs for 0-5 volt gauges like Wide band ect. also two controlable outputs , also has more fetures, "stand alone date logging" for one.
It is worth it just for the wide band tunning!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Is it really needed for a bolt on truck that is nothing special. Just looking to get a better tune than mail order.

For the 650 you still need to buy a wideband as well.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not "needed" but Alot of people buy the standerd version and will upgrade after a few months. I did. lol Plus it will cost more if you buy the 499 on now and then upgrade to the PRO.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there any kind of a newbie-tutorial on how wideband setups work? Bear in mind I'm *really* new at this...still just researching what to do and don't even own tuning software yet.

As I understand it our trucks have four o2 sensors, before and after the cat for each bank? You're replacing _one_ of these sensors with the wideband, correct? The stock narrowband sensors are accurate only at stoich, and are otherwise just telling you "too lean" or "too rich", right? So it's my understanding that the wideband is simulating that "on/off" information to the PCM for whatever sensor it replaced, and then is providing true AFR data to your laptop tuning software which is recorded alongside other data from the PCM such that you get a picture of what the real AFR is?

And if I want to tune with a wideband, I need the PRO version of HPTuners, correct ($650)?

Again, apologies for being a total newb at this and/or if the above makes absolutely no sense at all!

Quick Reply: Researching HPTuners, mileage and other newb ?s