Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Running Lean!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah when the pump maxes, the IDC rises as fast as the rpms, I have seen some hit like 180%-200%..lol.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Yeah when the pump maxes, the IDC rises as fast as the rpms, I have seen some hit like 180%-200%..lol.
mine hit 153%..put in an inline and cured that
Old 11-25-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tuned several setups, and there is a point where you may not be getting KR, but its just additional heat running timing that high. I have seen the same things on some trucks too, but more timing without detination doesn't always mean more power. Generally the more efficient the cylinder head the less timing you will need to run. Of course every setup is different. One example: I have a friend with a 2001 WS6, full bolt-ons, auto, stock stall dynoed 345 RWHP and the car didn't like over 24-26* of timing. I have done some stalled setups that were similar and they liked a few more degrees. I have done some cammed setups that will take more timing, Tan327's old 5.3 with the 226/226 was at 31* without KR before we backed it down to 29*. You really need to put it on a dyno to find exactly what is makes its most power with. 33* and 36* figures sound very high to me though.

What cc chambers are the edelbrocks, and what is your CR? Also take into account that the knock sensors may have been desensitized, so it may be less prone to show KR, even if it was occuring.
My chambers are 52cc's(milled .020) and the CR is somewhere in the neighborhood of 11.0:1 --11.5:1. as per Richard(WCCH).
My knock sensors may/may not be.....I don't know what Allen did but I can find out if someone will tell me how to do so.

I also have 102unleaded in the truck. Now with this being said, high CR, race gas and the mods= more timing. When I put 38* total into it, it liked it a bunch.....LOL!!!

James
Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have tuned several setups, and there is a point where you may not be getting KR, but its just additional heat running timing that high. I have seen the same things on some trucks too, but more timing without detination doesn't always mean more power. Generally the more efficient the cylinder head the less timing you will need to run. Of course every setup is different. One example: I have a friend with a 2001 WS6, full bolt-ons, auto, stock stall dynoed 345 RWHP and the car didn't like over 24-26* of timing. I have done some stalled setups that were similar and they liked a few more degrees. I have done some cammed setups that will take more timing, Tan327's old 5.3 with the 226/226 was at 31* without KR before we backed it down to 29*. You really need to put it on a dyno to find exactly what is makes its most power with. 33* and 36* figures sound very high to me though.

What cc chambers are the edelbrocks, and what is your CR? Also take into account that the knock sensors may have been desensitized, so it may be less prone to show KR, even if it was occuring.
Well it made 390rwhp with 33* and fuel pulled out.......

James
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirt_track_racer_81
mine hit 153%..put in an inline and cured that
Cody has a pump in his truck and he said that if I did the fuel pump swap, I could have it.......so this might be my ticket to get a pump.

James
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

just cause your not detenating means your makin more power..my 6.0 just dont want any more than 28 degrees timing..ialong with the other cammed trucks ive done..they just dont make any more power beyond that and they're not detonating..get it on a dyno and see were it quits making power, and thats all dyno's are, a tool to find gains and losses
Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I didn't know you were on race gas, so 33* might not be so bad, I was thinking about 93. Your compression is good and sounds like a solid setup, Sounds like it is a pump issue. Good numbers by the way.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

i would like to know why you have your reg set at 75-80 psi with 48# injectors..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:29 AM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

ok james is your ltft's +25 or -25, if there -25 then its pulling fuel, if its positive then its adding fuel, so with you adding fuel to get it to richen up your telling it the opposite or am I just wrong all together rhino?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

just cause your not detenating means your makin more power..my 6.0 just dont want any more than 28 degrees timing..ialong with the other cammed trucks ive done..they just dont make any more power beyond that and they're not detonating..get it on a dyno and see were it quits making power, and thats all dyno's are, a tool to find gains and losses
I don't understand the first part of your comment....."just cause your not detenating means your makin more power.."if your detonating, your not making power......the tune is off, it's not running @ it's full potential. My truck has a slight audiable sound.....kinda hard to here under a helmet. You can't have an engine bang'in and pop'in down the rack and hope to get a good e.t. For the last time I did put it on the dyno........I made the power with 33* of total timing in it. Also to, small inch engines like more timing than a big inch engine. So you can't compare a 6.0 to a 5.3 to a 4.8. My dyno guy said that a 4.8 likes 33*-36*, 5.3 29*-33* and a 6.0 26*-31* depending on compression, fuel type, mods and so on.......he also said that these LSx based engines like heat too. We ran a total of five pulls and each time we let my truck cool down for 15min with threes huge blowing on it. We made the fourth pull, let the truck cool for like 5min(just to look at the fourth pull results) and made the fifth.......everything is hot mind you and we netted the most gains and this was the highest RWHP number. I know with LS1's 28*-30* total they won't make anymore power but thy more inches than us truck guys.

Well, I didn't know you were on race gas, so 33* might not be so bad, I was thinking about 93. Your compression is good and sounds like a solid setup, Sounds like it is a pump issue. Good numbers by the way.
Thanks, with the CR I'm running and even with 93 oct, I think I can get away with more timing. Let's say 33* just for arguing.....LOL.....but I could be wrong, that's why I 'm on here now....LOL!!!!

i would like to know why you have your reg set at 75-80 psi with 48# injectors..
Why not......It takes a min. of 65psi on a stock setup so I just elected to 75-80psi. I just figured that since my truck consumes the same amount of air as a turbo'd/supercharged truck running 5-6lbs of boost, the above stated psi would be sutiable to run the truck.

I don't know.......enlighten me......

James

Quick Reply: Running Lean!!!!!