Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Running Lean!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8
ok james is your ltft's +25 or -25, if there -25 then its pulling fuel, if its positive then its adding fuel, so with you adding fuel to get it to richen up your telling it the opposite or am I just wrong all together rhino?
Let me check that out for you.........I don't want to lie to ya!!!! I'm not sure....I think it's in the pos.

Oh ****!!!!!

James
Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by closet red neck
I don't understand the first part of your comment....."just cause your not detenating means your makin more power.."if your detonating, your not making power......the tune is off, it's not running @ it's full potential. My truck has a slight audiable sound.....kinda hard to here under a helmet. You can't have an engine bang'in and pop'in down the rack and hope to get a good e.t. For the last time I did put it on the dyno........I made the power with 33* of total timing in it. Also to, small inch engines like more timing than a big inch engine. So you can't compare a 6.0 to a 5.3 to a 4.8. My dyno guy said that a 4.8 likes 33*-36*, 5.3 29*-33* and a 6.0 26*-31* depending on compression, fuel type, mods and so on.......he also said that these LSx based engines like heat too. We ran a total of five pulls and each time we let my truck cool down for 15min with threes huge blowing on it. We made the fourth pull, let the truck cool for like 5min(just to look at the fourth pull results) and made the fifth.......everything is hot mind you and we netted the most gains and this was the highest RWHP number. I know with LS1's 28*-30* total they won't make anymore power but thy more inches than us truck guys.

Thanks, with the CR I'm running and even with 93 oct, I think I can get away with more timing. Let's say 33* just for arguing.....LOL.....but I could be wrong, that's why I 'm on here now....LOL!!!!

Why not......It takes a min. of 65psi on a stock setup so I just elected to 75-80psi. I just figured that since my truck consumes the same amount of air as a turbo'd/supercharged truck running 5-6lbs of boost, the above stated psi would be sutiable to run the truck.

I don't know.......enlighten me......

James
i meant just because hes not detenating at 33 degrees doesnt mean hes making more power than 28-29 degrees..i ran my at 30 and didnt make any more power so i just set it back down to 28, and my 5.3 was the same way, another 6.0 truck was set to 26 cause it make no more power at a higher timing..a 4.8 i tuned with my old comp 212 218 came would only like 25 degrees..to me there really is no reason to run higher timing if its not making any more power..on the fueling i was just wondering guess thats a good enough reason for me
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirt_track_racer_81
i meant just because hes not detenating at 33 degrees doesnt mean hes making more power than 28-29 degrees..i ran my at 30 and didnt make any more power so i just set it back down to 28, and my 5.3 was the same way, another 6.0 truck was set to 26 cause it make no more power at a higher timing..a 4.8 i tuned with my old comp 212 218 came would only like 25 degrees..to me there really is no reason to run higher timing if its not making any more power..on the fueling i was just wondering guess thats a good enough reason for me
OK. But you have to take the consideration on compression ratio, fuel type, mods, how many inches the motor is..........every set-up is different. I have one of the hottest set-ups on this board. This is probably the first and only one that all of us had to deal with. That's why it's hard to compare all of the other set-ups to this one. I'm just trying to get you or other people to help me with this particular set-up just because it's so wicked!!!...LOL!!!! I will tell you this, I had 38* total(8* across the board) to Allens tune and let me tell you something, this thing woke up!!!

Please, Please.....I'm not arguing with anyone on here, I just want to learn how to tune my truck. I have a few issues to figure out on the idle side but then I'll have to work on the big end of the spectrum.

James
Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8
ok james is your ltft's +25 or -25, if there -25 then its pulling fuel, if its positive then its adding fuel, so with you adding fuel to get it to richen up your telling it the opposite or am I just wrong all together rhino?
If your trims are positive and you increased the FP, then the trims should drop some, because its effectively like running a larger injector and not tuning for it. The PCM thinks 48lb injectors based on 58psi, so at 70psi, it doesn't realize the pressure is different and the injector pulse width remains the same but the higher pressure is flowing more fuel.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

And yes positive trims mean lean and negative are rich.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by closet red neck
OK. But you have to take the consideration on compression ratio, fuel type, mods, how many inches the motor is..........every set-up is different. I have one of the hottest set-ups on this board. This is probably the first and only one that all of us had to deal with. That's why it's hard to compare all of the other set-ups to this one. I'm just trying to get you or other people to help me with this particular set-up just because it's so wicked!!!...LOL!!!! I will tell you this, I had 38* total(8* across the board) to Allens tune and let me tell you something, this thing woke up!!!

Please, Please.....I'm not arguing with anyone on here, I just want to learn how to tune my truck. I have a few issues to figure out on the idle side but then I'll have to work on the big end of the spectrum.

James
then put it on a dyno and see what it likes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

on a mustang dyno its makin 333 on motor and 451 on nitrous on 28 degrees.. on the dyno im on bone stock 6.0s are makin 230-240..my main downfall is my ls1 intake, i got a pro-prod intake that should be here monday or tuesday..at track its runnin 12.78 at 109 with a 2.10 60' on my 20's..no reason to really go back til i get some slicks..the track is several hours from me so ive only been twice
Old 11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by litreddevil
that is what i am talking about 333 with a 6.0

i made 336 with a cam only 5.3 with 34* it ran a 12.59 with a 1.64 60'

6.0 should be more than a 5.3 in any form you put it most 6.0 are over 360hp
with just cam and bolt ons

Thanks Randy!!!!! I have just been looking @ my thread because I was getting frustrated with some of the posts. All I wanted was to know if I was going lean due to lack of the stock fuel pump. Then we all got onto the timing thing.

Guys thanks for all of your input, suggestions, questions and comments!! I will just put a fuel pressure gauge in the truck and see if it drops. Then I'll know if the stock fuel pump is keeping up or not.

James
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

You've got enough injector for 550-600 rwhp, It's gonna be the pump. Like I said earlier, good numbers and a good combo!!! Even with 33*....LOL
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
9 Second Truck Club

+1 change out the pump. You've got alot of $ on your setup and it would suck to lose the engine over a lean condition because of a $120 pump.

Quick Reply: Running Lean!!!!!