Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Scary VE area

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't mind at all... really appreciate the help. I agree with everything you are saying about numbers and AFR. It appears that my VE is way lean Higher RPM 40-50KPA range. I don't know exactly what numbers are at this point it appears to be about 15%,but I know I need fuel there because the AFR is lean. Whole point of the post is do you guys agree that I need to move the VE in these areas and how would I smooth this into the rest of the VE?

LOG File

On a second note I have lost my WB. It has lost both analog outputs. Gauge still reads but getting flat .8v output to the MPVI. Verified by reading raw voltage in HPT scanner and via a voltmeter. Even tried forcing a steady 5.0v output via the WB interface and same .8v out. Didn't measure the analog out V for the PCM narrowband simulation but its logging flatline low also.

Done tuning for a bit, and will be in the market for another WB. I have read enough bad press about the LC1 that I will be getting another brand. Anybody recommend a semi permanent unit that will also narrowband simulate has a good gauge to go with it and is HPT friendly?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLX just came out with a cheap new alternative...havent seen it in use other then at SEMA though...as for your innovate I would suggest talking to them to see if you can get a new one from them..they are pretty good at the fixing/replacing end from what I've heard.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

aight the three main problems I see

1. your logging 25 bytes worth of info on a 48byte max what happens when you do that is you only get 5 frames per second which isnt very good resolution...since you have your trims turned off you could always delete all 4 of them and be well under the 24 byte cutoff

2. and this stems from #1, but not limited to #1...12 minutes worth of logging isnt nearly enough data...Im assuming you have the stand alone unit so just bring it with you & log about an hour to an hour & a half of data @ 24bytes or less of data & use that to populate your VE & report back.

3. if your wideband is dead now who's to say it wasnt on its way out recently?

Last edited by foff667; 11-25-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667
PLX just came out with a cheap new alternative...havent seen it in use other then at SEMA though...as for your innovate I would suggest talking to them to see if you can get a new one from them..they are pretty good at the fixing/replacing end from what I've heard.
Hey bet they are very good at fixing and replacing them. Course a very limited sample of total customers posting on the boards about them but I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't had any trouble out of them within the first months of running them. I will be talking to them and hopefully get it fixed. It will then go on e-bay for sale.

PLX was my first choice but went with LC1 due to it being a little cheaper. Gonna give the PLX unit a shot.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

aight the three main problems I see

1. your logging 25 bytes worth of info on a 48byte max what happens when you do that is you only get 5 frames per second which isnt very good resolution...since you have your trims turned off you could always delete all 4 of them and be well under the 24 byte cutoff

2. and this stems from #1, but not limited to #1...12 minutes worth of logging isnt nearly enough data...Im assuming you have the stand alone unit so just bring it with you & log about an hour to an hour & a half of data @ 24bytes or less of data & use that to populate your VE & report back.

3. if your wideband is dead now who's to say it wasnt on its way out recently?
1> noted.... I had taken them out at some point but lost something I wanted to look at but don't remember what it was now.

2> Maybe I am completely wrong with my tuning strategy. I have hours of logging in that VE so far. The very light throttle stuff and the VE is falling in place in those areas. After hours of logging and tuning it I decided to TOUCH areas of the VE that I hadn't IE: some light throttle run through the entire RPM range. That is what that log represents. I saw a very bad spot and stopped to ask people that know more about it. I've been there a total of about 5 pulls and all show similar AFR I am not going to log it for an hour. I am going to touch upon it as I have and adjust it closer then I will log it longer to fine tune it in.
The way you make it sound is that without 1000 cell counts you don't touch anything even though its obvious that the VE is way out of line.

3> It reported steady believable AFR reading by gauge and logging up until today when it just quit outputting after I calibrated it. Still giving the same data via the gauge just not out the analog outputs.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Hey bet they are very good at fixing and replacing them. Course a very limited sample of total customers posting on the boards about them but I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't had any trouble out of them within the first months of running them. I will be talking to them and hopefully get it fixed. It will then go on e-bay for sale.

PLX was my first choice but went with LC1 due to it being a little cheaper. Gonna give the PLX unit a shot.

Thanks for the input.
plx recently introduced a $199 wideband setup to their lineup.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

plx recently introduced a $199 wideband setup to their lineup.
Just ordered the PLX DM-5 and SMAFR.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:28 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Here is another screen shot. I am going to ignore the fringe numbers as they may be decel lean spikes. I am about 95% sure that in this 40-50KPA 3000-6000 rpm range my VE table is wayyyy lean.

In the screen shot, 43 hits in the cell count. I also saw the same trend in a 2nd gear pull up the range. Notice steady state TPS% and where the AFR is.

Not used to looking at HPT but, don't see how you can be at only 50 kPa while holding 5000 RPM with a Radix. Are you using a 1 bar MAP sensor with a 2 bar tune?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

good catch.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrX
Not used to looking at HPT but, don't see how you can be at only 50 kPa while holding 5000 RPM with a Radix. Are you using a 1 bar MAP sensor with a 2 bar tune?
2 bar map sensor. 2 bar tune. I have logged 159 KPA with it so far so appears to be working okay.Level to slightly downhill grade. No load and very gradual throttle. I'm thinking to touch some of the higher KPA non boost regions I need to find a very steep hill.

Did make me go back into the log to look at the setup. I have been messing with config files so though maybe I might have left in the PID for a 1 bar map. Here is another shot of a 1st gear pull. Yikes lean.

Last edited by KySilverado; 11-26-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Scary VE area