Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Scary VE area

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:07 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if I tied my bypass open I would be in boost at 5000 RPM with the throttle applied. You are showing almost idle vacuum at that RPM. Did you confirm that you are logging SAE.MAP as opposed to GM.MAP? (At least that's what they are called in EFILIVE) You must have been logging it before to see 159 kPa.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would our different cam profiles your stock (I think) and my GT7 account for different behaviors?

There is only one "PID" available with HPT for the 2 bar MAP. Here is a snapshot of same sensor , PID arrangement under boost. Hits 158 KPA. Haven't gone into boost too much since 2bar for obvious reasons. You can see the knock in this one.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

OK, I take that back. I am able to keep out of boost if I hold 1st and take it easy on the pedal. Maybe not as low as 50 kPa, but I stayed out of boost. I guess I usually have the pedal to the floor when I'm at 5000 RPM.

The motor still has to be getting a lot of air though with the Radix spinning that high. So it's going to need quite a bit of fuel. I would bump up the entire higher RPM part of the table then use the AutoVE process to bring it down where it is too high rather than the other way around. A lot safer to be rich rather than lean. Did you bump up the entire stock table before starting?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrX
OK, I take that back. I am able to keep out of boost if I hold 1st and take it easy on the pedal. Maybe not as low as 50 kPa, but I stayed out of boost. I guess I usually have the pedal to the floor when I'm at 5000 RPM.

The motor still has to be getting a lot of air though with the Radix spinning that high. So it's going to need quite a bit of fuel. I would bump up the entire higher RPM part of the table then use the AutoVE process to bring it down where it is too high rather than the other way around. A lot safer to be rich rather than lean. Did you bump up the entire stock table before starting?
Glad you confirmed that you can get to those areas non-boost. I did up the VE by 10% before starting and it was rich in "normal" spots but it is obvious that the superchips VE doesn't account for the air flow generated in lower KPA ranges that can be touched. Granted I am not going to be driving around with my truck in 1st and 2nd running it to 6000 under light throttle but as you say and I agree it needs to be a lot closer than it is and error on the rich side. I am doing as you suggest. Already have, bringing up the VE a lot to 6200 rpm accross the board. Its guess work right now to where but at least it shouldn't be lean. Plan on pulling a trailer and finding some long hills to more accurately tune some of the non-boost higher KPA ranges.

I'll post up the VE screen shot when I get something that I want to start with.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KySilverado
the superchips VE doesn't account for the air flow generated in lower KPA ranges that can be touched
The Superchips VE table is identical to the stock GM table except for that high RPM/MAP plateau where it has been bumped up. I guess they assume that you will always be running on the MAF. The PCM compares the MAF to the VE table to calculate a regularly updated correction factor. This correction factor is applied to the VE table values in order to determine airflow. So the VE table doesn't have to be perfect. Different story if you are MAFless.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those looke like decel cells to me. even if dfco is off, you are still going crazy lean in the low kpa high rpm areas. has to be decel areas.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Holty
those looke like decel cells to me. even if dfco is off, you are still going crazy lean in the low kpa high rpm areas. has to be decel areas.
Nope not decel. Throttle at 40% steady state.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you duplicate this crazy lean kpa area? me and dewey had a problem with my scanner the other day where it just went crazy with all kinds of weird readings. it said i was at 70kpa at idle. just a thought, maybe just a scanner glitch? after what i've seen with hpt's i believe anything is possible.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Holty
can you duplicate this crazy lean kpa area? me and dewey had a problem with my scanner the other day where it just went crazy with all kinds of weird readings. it said i was at 70kpa at idle. just a thought, maybe just a scanner glitch? after what i've seen with hpt's i believe anything is possible.
I've duplicated it about 6 times. Logged and visual to the gauge which is independant of the scanner. My LC1 wideband has crapped out on me and waiting for a new WB. I will log it again when I have it in but with a new pumped up VE in that area.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can i see your tune? truckvids@deweygibson.com

Quick Reply: Scary VE area