Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

SD tune not failing maf until engine runs for a few seconds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never had this issue with my 04 EFILive SD tunes.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine used to do the same thing till I stumbled across a fix either here or on HPT forum. IIRC it had something to do with the maf table and placing a large value in the first column. I did a quick search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for but the following linked thread has a similar solution. Check posts 20 and 35...
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...g-tune-520534/
Old 11-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm gonna throw in a wild suggestion and say it may not have anything to do with the conversion to SD at all. I've had an issue with I don't know how many vehicles with various operating systems and engine setups, boosted and NA alike, where the car/truck will run fine until you write in a new calibration. On first crank after the write, it runs like absolute ****. On older P01 and P59 pcms, the vehicle is borderline unresponsive. Idles very low, cuts out, often dies, and does not obey throttle input. For some reason it eventually 'catches' and runs/idles normally and never has any more problems on subsequent startups, that is, until I write in another tune. Sometimes this post-write tomfuckery goes on for a few seconds and 'catches' and runs fine; sometimes it lasts longer. I've been stranded for a half hour before because a truck refused to run after dozens of start attempts. On some vehicles this doesn't happen at all. I thought it was isolated to older stuff until I tuned a 2012 corvette recently that had the same behavior. Only that car was actually responsive to throttle input and drove normally.

My speculation at this point is that it's an interface problem. This all started happening after a firmware update. I've been meaning to bug the guys at HPT about it for a while now, but keep forgetting until it pops up again lol.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I'm gonna throw in a wild suggestion and say it may not have anything to do with the conversion to SD at all. I've had an issue with I don't know how many vehicles with various operating systems and engine setups, boosted and NA alike, where the car/truck will run fine until you write in a new calibration. On first crank after the write, it runs like absolute ****. On older P01 and P59 pcms, the vehicle is borderline unresponsive. Idles very low, cuts out, often dies, and does not obey throttle input. For some reason it eventually 'catches' and runs/idles normally and never has any more problems on subsequent startups, that is, until I write in another tune. Sometimes this post-write tomfuckery goes on for a few seconds and 'catches' and runs fine; sometimes it lasts longer. I've been stranded for a half hour before because a truck refused to run after dozens of start attempts. On some vehicles this doesn't happen at all. I thought it was isolated to older stuff until I tuned a 2012 corvette recently that had the same behavior. Only that car was actually responsive to throttle input and drove normally.

My speculation at this point is that it's an interface problem. This all started happening after a firmware update. I've been meaning to bug the guys at HPT about it for a while now, but keep forgetting until it pops up again lol.
Just now that u mention firmware update i remember back and thats exacly when it started to do that, at first it didnt had this problem and ive been sd for awhile, i had to update my firmware a month or so back
Old 11-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
Mine used to do the same thing till I stumbled across a fix either here or on HPT forum. IIRC it had something to do with the maf table and placing a large value in the first column. I did a quick search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for but the following linked thread has a similar solution. Check posts 20 and 35...
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...g-tune-520534/
This is what you need to do
Old 11-27-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I just looked at my tune and it has 1.6 lb/min in the first column (1500Hz) and the rest is zeroed out so I am pretty confident that is what the fix was. Also, I do not have any of the dynamic air flow changes mentioned in the linked post.