Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

SD Tuning - 1st log Mafless - Long

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SD Tuning - 1st log Mafless - Long

Finally got the MPVI Pro module for HPT. Figured I'd give VE tuning a try now that I can pull my WB into the log.

Tune setup per instructions in HPT Help file
1> Current VE multiplied by 1.15% to richen while in SD
2>DFCO disabled by setting enable to 284*F ECT.
3>Set PE EQ ratio back to pre-meth AFR and turned my meth off.
4>Set open loop EQ vs ECT to 1.00 accross table
5>Set LTFT to disable. Example showed an enable/disable tick. Newer version of HPT doesn't have this. I set MIN ECT to 284*F to disable it.
6>Set Closed loop enable vs IAT to 284*F so that closed loop is disabled.
7>Disabled COT
8>Copied High to Low Spark Table
9>Finally UNPLUGGED the MAF.

Suprisingly the truck started, idled, and drove just fine. Logged about an hours worth of data, (seems to be the limit of recording for the MPVI), trying to hit as many MAP/RPM fields in the histogram as possible. Easy throttle transitions and stayed out of boost. I was suprised at how close the % error AFR data was. I've cut and pasted the multiply % into the VE and am going out to log again.

LINK to ZIP file containing the tune, config and log. Someone that knows how this is done please have a look and tell me I'm doing it right before I spend too much time with it.

Playing yesterday with the tune I've been running I saw MAF HZ hit 12000. Is that the maxed MAF?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn your STFT's off and try again.. Other than that looks good to me.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yea leave the Maf plugged in set freq to 0 and set p0103 to 0-mill on first error. leave the SES enabled so the light comes on and you know your in SD while tuning.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slowsilverado
Oh yea leave the Maf plugged in set freq to 0 and set p0103 to 0-mill on first error. leave the SES enabled so the light comes on and you know your in SD while tuning.
Thanks for the look. Forgot to put in that I have the MAF fail feq set to 0, just unplugged it to make sure. I also turned off the mil light for p0101, 0102 and 0103. Left the SES on. I verified the codes were set once I started it.

I noticed the STFT's working in the log I did. They don't mention turning it off in the HP help. Even with the LTFT's off they still moved during the log. Should they?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Thanks for the look. Forgot to put in that I have the MAF fail feq set to 0, just unplugged it to make sure. I also turned off the mil light for p0101, 0102 and 0103. Left the SES on. I verified the codes were set once I started it.

I noticed the STFT's working in the log I did. They don't mention turning it off in the HP help. Even with the LTFT's off they still moved during the log. Should they?
the short term fuel trims arent remembered the long terms are remembered, your ve table is over 10% too rich and you need to hit the reset fuel trims tab before logging you should be seeing all 0's for LT trims.

As far as disabling stft's and ltft's that means that you would then have no fuel trimming at all and your ve table is too far off I personnally wouldnt do it. You also have alot of kr.
Id leave the maf plugged in for the iat unless youve relocated it.
Are you tuning with an OS that can account for boost conditions?

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 11-19-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KySilverado

Your going to need to plug the MAF back in. The codes were set because the MAF was unpluged. P0103 is the only code that will show cuz the freq is above 0. You still have it set to "2-No MIL Light" Set it to "0-No MIL Light", Other wise it may have to complete a drive cycle.

STFT's... The guide you are using in HPT is very well put together. It does not mention STFT because it was worded around a an f-body and is not an issue. Our trucks however have semi openloop with STFT's.

Looking at your log your Afr error% is perfect +or-1% only because your STFT's are making corrections. Your pissing in the wind right now. Everyone is going to have there own way of doing it. I would Dump the STFT's and tune the VE, Thats what your trying to do right?

Last edited by 1slowsilverado; 11-19-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Before reading your last post I went out for another session. I did reset the LTFT's and disabled the STFT's. That really made a difference... You were right. My VE was rich, could see it as soon as I started logging. (Have a gauge in the truck and using the record function of MPVI.) Expected to see something near 14.7 was actually at in the 12's. Didn't see the AFR cycle up and down like I normally do. Don't know if it was the LTFT's that were or STFT's that caused the closed loop looking cycle.. but anyway it was what I expected to see being in open loop. I did up the VE table as the HP help file said to do, 15% so guess my original VE wasn't too far off.

Anyway logged for a short while. Pasted these values and it immediately pulled the AFR's back nearer in line and I went at it again. Made some progress with it but dang this will take a long time. Very hard to hit all the cells and stay away from PE and boost. A lot of learning to do for a novice like me. Think I already need to up the PE enable as I'm going into PE before the boost comes on.

I have had that KR, not that much, in those areas forever. I THINK its due to my TC lock and shifts. Dunno. It is lesser when I run meth. I do need to figure it out huh.

With the radix you relocate the IAT sensor to the front of the blower, so thats not an issue. It is strange that I still haven't thrown an SES for unplugging the MAF. I did turn the mil light back on for "MIL on second error"

No I'm not using a 2bar OS. Still on the fence about purchasing it. I do see a need for a MAF considering the range of weather I have in KY. Although I have read that you can nail a tune down that weather won't make a difference. Doubt I would be able to do it though. I've read that what I'm doing is waste of time but I am reaching the limits of the MAF with my setup. Certainly learning a few things. Just hope I don't tear anything up doing it.

Anyone please have a look at these logs, tune, and config included and help me along. All comments welcome
Second Round File
Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

2bar is NOT an option for anything forced induction--it's a must. i wrote this up a while back for all the people that dont undestand it:
http://tuning.wikispaces.com/tuning+Forced+Induction

MAF isn't end all solution to weather problems, tuning ability is. Remember there's plenty of SD cars out there from factory and they are somehow running in winter just fine.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

word of advice buy a 2 bar sensor & apply the 2 bar SD custom OS with RTT...personally I don't like to tune boosted apps in SD mode...not really much of a point IMO. If you plan on running your maf full time I'd just apply the 1 bar MAF RTT custom OS so you can tune your maf/pe tables in real time...either way will work but the 2 bar really is the way to go IMO.

lata
Bill
Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the 2bar OS like others are saying Id hate to see you go lean in SD with Boost and blow a ring or a hole in the piston

Quick Reply: SD Tuning - 1st log Mafless - Long