Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

SES light this morning; code P0128!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ACTRON scanner tells me that the po128 is coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp. Change your t-stat

2004 Chevy LS
RC/SB
LM7 5.3L
4l65E w/SHIFTKIT,VETTE SERVO
2200 TQ Converter OEM unit reflash
G80 w/3.73

ADD ons: LS1 electric Fans,TB bypass, TB spacer, 160* Thermostast, MAC Cold air induction, Borla ProXcess Muffler w/Tailpipes and no cats, NitrousWorks 150 shot, HP Tuners Tune, 295/50r16 BF GOODRICH radials.

Future Mods 6.0L, patriot 5.3L Stage 2 head and cam kit, Vigilante 3000 stall, 4.10 gears Longtubes and OFY pipe, TNT N2O set up.

Team/ NLHP Engine Works
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

i emailed superchips last night to ask if having a max microtuner and a 180* stat would cause problems and the answer was yes. i emailed them back to find out what kind of problems. i should be getting one tomorrow. as of now, i will be removing the programmer from my truck to see if that fixes the problem. if not, you guys will be hearing from me again.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
squeez that upper tube to move the fluid around and you should be able to hear that little metal ring on the thermo moving around... if its stuck open than i dont think it'll make that sound.... well at least it didnt make that sound when mine was stuck open
i did that and i heard a noise so i am guessing that my t-stat is opening.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya.. with the motor off... alright ya so it is the programmer?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

this is what the email i just received from superchips.

Originally Posted by superchips
Basically the tuning software was written specifically to improve the stock performance of a vehicle. It cannot adjust for internal engine modifications even as simple as a thermostat. When you change the thermostat you change the operating conditions/temperatures of the engine which affects how the engine performs. Keeping the engine colder causes the ECU to think it is not finished warming up and causes it to fatten or richen the fuel table which will counter our program that leans out the fuel to match the air more precisely. In turn you will loose most of the horsepower that you have gained from our tuning at that point. That is the same reason why we cannot allow replacement of the throttle body, and mass air meter as well because those change the mixture of the air and fuel causing a lean condition that cannot be adjusted by the ECU.

Hope this helps.
i guess it is the programmer plus the 180 t-stat that aren't agreeing with each other.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

removed the programmer yesterday and drove the truck around a little. i didn't get another SES light but i did notice that the temp gauge didn't rise like i thought it would. the gauge still is staying at the mark right in between the 160 and 210 marks. i thought i would see it move closer to the 210 mark. i am going to continue to drive it on short trips to see if the SES light comes back on.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

alright... yea that must be what it is. If the ses code does come back there is a good chance that its the temp sensor on the block.

Time for a mail order or dyno tune do you think? since your basically stock, i'd go for a wait4me mail order since hes cheap and pretty good.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

where is the temp sensor on the block and how much is it?

is that where the temp gauge should be reading? i made a post earlier about where my gauge was reading with the 180 t-stat and a lot said that it was okay.

i might just get a tune soon but i have some other things i need to take care of first. i have also thought about getting my own tuning software and learn to tune my truck myself.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

getting your own software is best as long as you wanna sit down and learn it... than ya, that'll be great for you.

as far as where it reads, thats about right, the stock cluster is a tad off on most the gauges anyway.

just incase, the temp sensor is on the drivers side i beleive, its been a while so i might need to look again, but its not too far down on the block, you should be able to see it with the fan shroud off... its just a bung like the o2's and theres two wires leading to it.. it kinda resembles an o2's sensor actually.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

it must be located near the coolant drain plug in the block. i think i know where it is at now. i'll drive it around some more with hopes of not seeing another SES light. thanks for the help everybody.

Quick Reply: SES light this morning; code P0128!