Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Should I get the FULL DYNO tune or a MAIL ORDER tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get the FULL DYNO tune or a MAIL ORDER tune?

Well my tuner is local. PCM4less,
My engine is a stock vortec max, intake, exhaust etc. Nothing to sneeze at just yet. I called them up the full dyno tune is like $400. Their mail orders are $250, just like most mail order companies. My question is should I just go pickup a mailorder tune for the less cost. To get the Vmax running correct? Who knows what he may do, maybe put a WB in the tailpipe... But its a stock vmax, I am runing drive by cable however. Current tune is for a 5.3. All I really want is for it to go WOT, disable all TQM, more spark, more fuel. Still want my tq converter to be lock to keep my low rpms to grunt around town at low speeds. 93 octane of course.

I just am trying to justify the difference or what the hell is it worth it to do the full thing. I mean I dont want a dyno printout of a stock vmax. When I get my TVS, exhaust, intake, cam... Then yes, I do see a full dyno being more beneficent.

Thanks for the help people.

Last edited by trever1t; 05-09-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I personally think a dyno tune is better. Having said that, I have a blackbear mail order but at least Justin uses logging to adjust. Worth the extra $$$$....well that's up to you. I ended up investing in EFILive so I wasn't too worried about blowing cash
Old 05-08-2010, 07:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I dont know where your located, but the guys around here will do a street tune for around $250 and that would be your best bet if the guy would do that. A mail order tune isnt really much better than a programmer. A personal tune would be best and worth the money, but I really don't see $400 for a dyno tune when it's not really beneficial.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, well on Mon Im going to ask him about a Street Tune and if he can do that. If he says no the full tune. Then Ill be forced to wait, and put a camshaft atleast in the VMAX 1st.

I am glad you guys told me the mail order isnt that much better. I was atleast hoping he will log or do some sort of AFR measurement since we are local and Ill be at their shop. I just have alot of questions to ask him then.

What increase can I get with a camed vmax? hp/tq?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fastcount03
A mail order tune isnt really much better than a programmer.
This statement is absolutely not true!

.....the only way I could say that this statement could even possibly be correct is if the tuner doing the mail order tune has minimal or no experience tuning at all.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Wow. Thanks for that information. Again Ill call him up on Mon to clarify things. However I should prob put my 20s on 1st anyhow. So he can street tune it for those with 3.73 gears.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Launching!

I agree with KLUG...if you look to some of the sponsors they can set you up with a good mail order tune as they have made hundreds of tunes. I did one from nelson for a 5.3 supercharged w/cam ect...it was spot on.. prob running a little rich wich is better than lean...and dyno tune is more little adjustment to get those last few ponnies out of it..but for a DD it is right on..i am not a Drag Racer so i am not really after that last tenth or 8-15hp for bragging right..but other than that just go with a mail order and call it a day...

maybe after you modify you engine more you might want a dyno tune but other than that its a wast of money for the add ons you have..
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a pcm4less tune in the tbss,granted i have hp tuners.His tune will not disappoint you in either form,dyno or mail order..

How soon do you plan on doing the mods??

P.S. make sure you only link sponsors of the site

Last edited by andrew383; 05-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fastcount03
I dont know where your located, but the guys around here will do a street tune for around $250 and that would be your best bet if the guy would do that. A mail order tune isnt really much better than a programmer. A personal tune would be best and worth the money, but I really don't see $400 for a dyno tune when it's not really beneficial.
I totally agree with this statement.... I'm Biased since i do street tunes as a hobby...
Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well I went up to the shop today PCM4less and payed them for my tune, booked my appointment as well. Im scheduled for the 30th for a street tune. He is basically going to get everything runing in sync he said. So it will be dead on, he will have it for a full day. So I have 19 days to get a few things done like lower tstat etc, few upgrades here and there with the electrical.

Oh yea, I payed the same price as a mail order tune. No problem they said, and I get a street tune. Sweet deal, so Ill post back results as things happen.

Quick Reply: Should I get the FULL DYNO tune or a MAIL ORDER tune?