Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Smoothing VE tables ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about that...I meant PE Table....thanks for catching that Justin (it's early and I'm NOT a morning person)

And actually, to run in SD mode you can just set the MAF fail freq. to 0hz...it'll automatically drop to the VE table for all calculations (a 2bar OS and MAP sensor is also necessary if you're running FI)

Last edited by Yelo; 06-22-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelo
Sorry about that...I meant PE Table....thanks for catching that Justin (it's early and I'm NOT a morning person)
Mornings do suck.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by dc_justin
Once the MAF is maxed you rely on PE to increase fueling, not VE (in a 1 bar environment). That is how you'll see guys running 700+hp motors through the MAF. They have to command insanely rich targets, such as one guy I read about commanging ~8.5:1 to achieve 11.7, but it works for them.

In a 2 bar OS, in order to default to the VE when you've reached that MAF Maxpoint, you'd have to lower the high frequency fail limit to the 12000hz level. Otherwise, once you hit the rpm threshold for airflow calculation (stock at 4000rpms), the PCM would default to using the MAF only for airflow measurement rather than calculating it based on MAF and MAP input. PCM would still assume that the MAF is measuring accurately and would assume 60#s of air is coming in when in fact it could be considerably higher.
I guess it is more of an "update" issue. Why bother updating the map sensor and software/OS when they could just alter the commanded afr. hmmm. I do just the opposite with commanded afr concerning meth.

This has me thinking about my intentions. Since I have had the 2bar OS, I have been in open loop. When I go back to closed loop I only intended to leave the fail rate at zero and just turn off the codes. No error reported. Am I going about this the wrong way?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:55 AM

And actually, to run in SD mode you can just set the MAF fail freq. to 0hz...it'll automatically drop to the VE table for all calculations (a 2bar OS and MAP sensor is also necessary if you're running FI)
Answer my question.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello Dave

Yep. I was pointing out how to run with a MAF and have it default to VE when the MAF maxed.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I guess it is more of an "update" issue. Why bother updating the map sensor and software/OS when they could just alter the commanded afr. hmmm. I do just the opposite with commanded afr concerning meth.

This has me thinking about my intentions. Since I have had the 2bar OS, I have been in open loop. When I go back to closed loop I only intended to leave the fail rate at zero and just turn off the codes. No error reported. Am I going about this the wrong way?
As I recall (been 8-9 months since I was in SD), you'd want to leave the error reporting on, but disable the code for the MIL light so that it won't bug you. AutoVE tutorial as well as the VE tuning by LTFT tutorial compiled by one of the members here both mention this.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Answer my question.
Pushy this morning aren't we ...oh, and do you EVER sleep...I see posts from you at all hours of the day and night !!

The MAF maxes at 12000hz (15000hz with the MAF patch), or around 60lbs/min (the exact number is different for all MAF's...it's all based on their calibration
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dc_justin
As I recall (been 8-9 months since I was in SD), you'd want to leave the error reporting on, but disable the code for the MIL light so that it won't bug you. AutoVE tutorial as well as the VE tuning by LTFT tutorial compiled by one of the members here both mention this.

You've got it right....shut the MIL off but leave the DTC reporting enabled so that the MAF will actually "fail". this is all I've done to run in SD mode...you HAVE to leave the MAF plugged in because the IAT sensor is in the MAF, and without that the tranny drops into limp-mode. to actually get rid of the MAF you have to wire in an external IAT sensor and mount it in the intake tract
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 PM

Pushy this morning aren't we ...oh, and do you EVER sleep...I see posts from you at all hours of the day and night !!

The MAF maxes at 12000hz (15000hz with the MAF patch), or around 60lbs/min (the exact number is different for all MAF's...it's all based on their calibration
LOL I meant AnswerS my question. LOL

I have a one year old that hasn't caught on to the whole sleep at night craze that's going around. So we goof around in the late evenings quiet a bit. Then I run an electrical contractor from 5:30Am to 4-5PM during the weekday. So PC is in front of me quiet a bit.

Ask yourself wher ein that time plus building an addition I find time to mod my truck.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:49 PM

You've got it right....shut the MIL off but leave the DTC reporting enabled so that the MAF will actually "fail". this is all I've done to run in SD mode...you HAVE to leave the MAF plugged in because the IAT sensor is in the MAF, and without that the tranny drops into limp-mode. to actually get rid of the MAF you have to wire in an external IAT sensor and mount it in the intake tract
Hmmm...my understanding of the MAF failing is OFLA. I am not interested in staying in open loop. Especially with emmission testing and those codes being there. I am not understanding why you can't kill the codes.

I have a radix yelo, IAT is in the blower.

Tranny limp mode to my understanding is crazy pressure tables which is under the "Trans Diag" tab, just disable them.

Quick Reply: Smoothing VE tables ??