Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

So i got 7.9* KR.....N/A????!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i got 7.9* KR.....N/A????!!!

Welp, just got back from the track. I have made the conclusion that i just spent over 3 grand to replace tranny, converter, cam, and what not to drop .2 seconds in the 1/4. I hooked up my scanguage and held it when i left the line. first run i saw it peak it was 5.0, second run was 6.2 and the final run was pulling 7.2* KR. On the way home, under normal acceleration I had my woman watching the guage and she said, "holy crap 7.9!" (she has abselutely no idea what she is looking at. )

Does this damage the motor? I know it robs power. My gears go in next weekend so im driving to see Allen the following weekend. Should i be worried about popping the motor?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm no expert but it seems maybe your kr tables are set to sensitive...
Do you hear an audiable knock coming from the engine?If not then its gotta be the tunein...
On my truck with no audiable knock i don't see any KR until about 105mph.Even then its less than a 1* of it i think the highest it has hit was like .79 actually.
I'd say have him fix you up on that tune IMO.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Itll bog down bad in OD and i can hear it. Maybe thats where my tick is comming from.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

If you have it you should be able to hear it fairly easy with the windows up no air on no radio etc etc...go full throttle from whatever to at least 90ish...if you hear something that sounds like small metallic explosions you got detanation and thats why it is having so much KR.
Kinda like little burst of rain on a tin roof....
I used to have it...had to get it fixxed up in the tune.
If you can hear this same sort of noise in OD non WOT then you got problems....
Old 08-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Sexy Party Mod

I dont hear it at WOT but i do in OD. I also have a tapping comming from the drivetrain so its hard to determine. To be honest with you. Never has anyone pointed a knock out to me and said, "hey, its knocking. Thats what a knock sounds like" so im at a loss.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grab some gravel, put it in an empty beer can, (if you dont have one, I can send you plenty) then shake it. Thats what detonation sounds like. If you have it at light acceleration while in OD you need to have your tune looked at. I had the same issue before.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

99 and 00 pcm's were to sensitive in picking up false knock, have your tuner upgrade your os to a 01,02, its an easy flash and you dont have to buy an extra pcm, after that your knock should go away, thats if nothing else is mechanically wrong.
thats if nelson hasent already???
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With over 6*, you should hear it with the windows down. If the knock sensors are doing their job, then all you'll hear is a loud *tick* sound, similar to what you'd hear as your motor is cooling down and the metal is settling.
Mine does it periodically with CA crap gas if I'm not running any Lucas octane booster.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Grab some gravel, put it in an empty beer can, (if you dont have one, I can send you plenty) then shake it. Thats what detonation sounds like. If you have it at light acceleration while in OD you need to have your tune looked at. I had the same issue before.
Pretty close to that. To me, when I had knock or pinging it sounds like light steel chains dangleing. Mine would occur in OD when TC locked at like 50mph with MOT (mail order tune) This was the incentive for me to go dyno tune. TC would not unlock easy enough.
If you are TC lock and roll throttle the TC should unlock before knock occurs. Allen will fix it up fer sure!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Sexy Party Mod

I am seeing that my TC is locking and unlocking when i coast from 55 on down to about 40. It shakes the truck but thats not completely the whole problem i can assure you. Just normal acceleration from 0-30 will pick up at least 4.0*. My gears get installed next weekend and im going to get a tune the week after that.

Should i be worried about screwing something up? I made three passes at the track last night.