Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

So i got a/c now my trucks heating up

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So i got a/c now my trucks heating up

Well as most of you know, i went from a v6 to a v8. I didn't have air until this week.

I had to replace the compressor/ with bracket and the lines, everything else

was from the v6. Now its really great, it cools up too like 40-45 degrees at night

and 50 during the day. What I've noticed though is that if i idle for more than

like 15 min the temp starts climbing up! is this because i'm using a smaller

radiator? The clutch fan? I do plan on going to E-fans soon. It gets up too like

230 240. Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Condenser in front of the radiator?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about it? Lol
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would happen to me when it was HOT HOT HOT outside here in TX with the clutch fan, if I were to let it sit at idle it would slowly creep above 210. Popping the hood open if possible will solve that issue, or get efans.

But if its in this weather, it shouldnt climb that high that fast... it isnt 110 outside anymore
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

I drove 100 miles in the last four days with out my clutch fan on the truck and didn't have any problems. May be your cooling system or your fan could be shot.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idling with A/C will get the temps to climb, especially if you have a weak fan clutch or low idle speed, or clogged radiator. Generally it's just from the pump not moving a ton of coolant past the thermostat and not a lot of air flowing over the rad.

As far as driving one without a fan, well, that's easy to do as long as you don't sit around for more than one light cycle. The fan only moves enough air to compensate for 15-20mph speeds. Anything above and there is plenty of air being rammed through.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nuclear Endless
That would happen to me when it was HOT HOT HOT outside here in TX with the clutch fan, if I were to let it sit at idle it would slowly creep above 210. Popping the hood open if possible will solve that issue, or get efans.

But if its in this weather, it shouldnt climb that high that fast... it isnt 110 outside anymore
Its not even hitting 100 here anymore lol, and 210 is normal thats what my 05 tahoe with e fans is always at, no matter how long i idle for. Yeah i think ill get the efans :O

Originally Posted by JFOLM
I drove 100 miles in the last four days with out my clutch fan on the truck and didn't have any problems. May be your cooling system or your fan could be shot.
Why are you driving without a fan? Lol?

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Idling with A/C will get the temps to climb, especially if you have a weak fan clutch or low idle speed, or clogged radiator. Generally it's just from the pump not moving a ton of coolant past the thermostat and not a lot of air flowing over the rad.

As far as driving one without a fan, well, that's easy to do as long as you don't sit around for more than one light cycle. The fan only moves enough air to compensate for 15-20mph speeds. Anything above and there is plenty of air being rammed through.
I don't think its the radiator, It said i was low on coolant so ill check that, how would i know if my radiator is clogged? or if i have a weak fan clutch?
My idle is like at 600-700 ish.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 AM
TECH Addict

JIMO, when you change out to the e-fans, change the radiator. I only changed mine b/c of a hole and I was leaking. Preventative maintenance never hurts. I have this radiator...
2002 Chevrolet pickup (c/k/silverado series) All Aluminum Radiator | All Aluminum Radiator | Chevrolet Auto Parts

Other than the A/c, what else have you changed?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
JIMO, when you change out to the e-fans, change the radiator. I only changed mine b/c of a hole and I was leaking. Preventative maintenance never hurts. I have this radiator...
2002 Chevrolet pickup (c/k/silverado series) All Aluminum Radiator | All Aluminum Radiator | Chevrolet Auto Parts

Other than the A/c, what else have you changed?
Hey these radiators aren't expensive at all!
And ummm.. nothing but i think the v6 radiator is smaller than the v8 one. could that be why?

I had a 2000 4.3 i took it out and put in a 2002 5.3
Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kr1s
Hey these radiators aren't expensive at all!
And ummm.. nothing but i think the v6 radiator is smaller than the v8 one. could that be why?

I had a 2000 4.3 i took it out and put in a 2002 5.3
Over the years, and being on this board, I can tell you the KISS protocol is the easiest. If you know that you're going to pulling out, see if there's something else that could go along with the fix.

For example, if you know that you're going to upgrade your transmission in the near future, and you know your going to do the radiator swap, add a trans cooler while the radiator and clutch fan are out.

If the clutch fan is out, swap the stat, water pump, and the belt. I know this is a lot of money, but it's something to think about.

Quick Reply: So i got a/c now my trucks heating up