Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Speedo reading in K/H

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo reading in K/H

Here's a link to the thread I created at the HP Tuners site because I figured it was a tuning based problem.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...2533#post32533

Pretty much, I threw a tune on it and now it's reading like I'm in kilo per hour.

Guy at the bottom of that link states there is a button that can change this? Am I crazy or is there no button?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have DIC and stering wheel controlls?
Menu button, right bottom.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

DIC stands for?
I don't have any steering wheel controls.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

DIC = Driver Information Center

Refers to the display in the instrument cluster. If you have the steering wheel controls you can program various functions and view the information and results in the DIC.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

His truck is a 2000, they didn't have that stuff back then. DIC was pretty basic back then.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

I think you need to be thinking about tire size, rear end gearing, transmission selection or gearing or something along those lines. Maybe look for something that calculates final drive ratio. If you change display units from (English/Metric) it does not effect the operation of your speedometer needle. My speedo has scales for both KPM and MPH and the reading does not change when I change the display units. What does change is the information shown in the display in the instrument cluster. For instance it will show distance in miles vs kilometers and fuel economy in mpg vs kpl.

Your problem is not setting your system to read in english or metric units but rather in your settings for tire size, rear end ratio, transmission gearing, speed sensor calibration or something along those lines.

Good luck getting this sorted out.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Check my .bin and let me know if you find anything. It's set as an attachment over at the HP Tuners site, under my thread.
I'd be very suprised if it ending up being something simple because I feel I have checked everything.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd have to agree with soundenginer, I've looked at your .bin and they all look fine, or close enough to it. I think somethig in the cluster my have got messed up. Don't know what else to tell ya.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

You must have changed the tire size and hit the commit button on accident. Your VSS Pulse/Miles & Trans Revolusions/Mile are incorrect also. If you did accidently hit the commit button it will change alot of tranny tables as well. Did you try changing the Tire size back to 28.94 and hitting commit?

Go into speedometer in HPT and hit F1 lots of info in there.
Speedometer Scalars (We do not recommend that you manually adjust these values)

VSS Pulses/Mile: This value is used to calculate the speed value for the engine routines and gauge cluster. It is the number of pulses received from the VSS sensor per mile traveled. If you know your gear, tire and location of your VSS sensor you can calculate this value manually.
VSS Pulses/Rev: This is the number of pulses received from the VSS sensor per output shaft revolution (used to calculate trans output RPM). It is usually equal to the number of teeth on the VSS sensor (depending on the sensor location).
VSS Pulses/Rev - Trans: This is the number of pulses received from the VSS sensor per output shaft revolution (used to calculate trans output RPM). It is usually equal to the number of teeth on the VSS sensor (depending on the sensor location).
Trans Revs/Mile: The number of trans output shaft revolutions per mile. This value is used to calculate the speed that is used for shift and TCC calculations. (A tire sanity check value is provided alongside so you can check the trans tire size calibration against the speedo tire size calibration. This is also useful for troubleshooting accurate speedo but trans shifting strangely issues).
Drive Sprocket Ratio: This is the drive chain/sprocket ratio from the engine to the trans. (eg. for a Pontiac GTP V6 the final drive ratio is 2.93. This is calculated from a diff ratio of 3.29 divided by the drive sprocket ratio of 1.121).
VSS Tire Revs/Dist: The number of tire revolutions per mile or kilometer.
VSS Tire Revs/Dist - Err: The number of tire revolutions per mile or kilometer. Used when a VSS Error is detected.
VSS Tire Revs/Dist - Trans: The number of tire revolutions per mile or kilometer.
VSS Tire Revs/Dist - Trans Error: The number of tire revolutions per mile or kilometer. Used when a VSS Error is detected.
Final Drive Ratio: The final drive (differential) gear ratio.
Final Drive Ratio - VSS Error: The final drive (differential) gear ratio, used when a VSS error is detected..
Final Drive Ratio - Trans: The final drive (differential) gear ratio.
Final Drive Ratio - Trans Error: The final drive (differential) gear ratio, used when a VSS error is detected..
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

VSS Pulses/Mile: This value is used to calculate the speed value for the engine routines and gauge cluster. It is the number of pulses received from the VSS sensor per mile traveled. If you know your gear, tire and location of your VSS sensor you can calculate this value manually.
I believe that this is my problem.

The value is set at 8000 whereas before, it was at 4000.
If anyone would try this, it would be great.

Go to your speedometer.
Find VSS Output Pulses/Mile
Type in any other value than 4000 and then, save the table.
Does your value automatically get locked at 8000 also?

I tried this on a few of my .bins and it happens everytime. WTF?

Last edited by Sport Side; 03-12-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Speedo reading in K/H