Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Stock ecu vs. Standalone

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock ecu vs. Standalone

I am in the middle of a turbo build for a 01 Sierra truck. Our goal is to make 1000rwhp and curious on my options of tuning. I know there are guys making this goal on the stock ecu but is it worth the troubles and money to use a standalone?? I want to run my factory cluster which in turn with a standalone like the new Holley dominator EFI, you get rid of the factory ecu and run just the standalone to control the lsx and 4l80e. I have had guys tell me that the standalone is the only way to go but I just want some feed back from guys that are using the stock and the guys using the standalone.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

You can do it fine with the stock ecu but the standalones do have a lot of nice features. I guess it depends how much some of those extra features are worth to you. If this is a track truck I would go for it, if its a street type deal I would be more inclined to just use the factory pcm.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

On a buddies truck that will be a twin turbo 408. We're going to run the Holley HP efi, were going to piggy back the factory harness into the Holley efi and let the factory PCM still control the 4l80e and factory cluster should still work. This still just something were tossing around still, and have a lot of questions on. I think we'll piggy back the crank, cam, tps, map, and temp sensors in. That way the trans will read the tps and rpm.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
On a buddies truck that will be a twin turbo 408. We're going to run the Holley HP efi, were going to piggy back the factory harness into the Holley efi and let the factory PCM still control the 4l80e and factory cluster should still work. This still just something were tossing around still, and have a lot of questions on. I think we'll piggy back the crank, cam, tps, map, and temp sensors in. That way the trans will read the tps and rpm.
I thought about the piggyback but wasnt sure about the interference signal messing with the actual reference of the sensor???
Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought about using resistors.