Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Superchips & Nitrous Oxide

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips & Nitrous Oxide

Just a FYI...

I e-mailed Superchips about using Nitrous Oxide with the High Performance tune which requires 91+ Octane gas. As suspected, they add timing to the tune. So spraying on this tune would be a bad idea.

Beginning to think I was going to have to toss it in the trash, I continued to inquire. Come to find out the 87 Octane tune is basically the stock tune. Which means, you can use spray and still be able to adjust your shift points/firmness, rev and speed limiters, tire size and gears.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

As long as the tuner doesnt increase timing or lean out the WOT a/f ratio, you should be fine.
Stock tuning is on the rich side esp. on the trucks. This is to prevent detonation that might occur when towing and in the chance you get a crappy batch of gas.
The rich stock tunes give you an extra margin of saftey, but is not optimal for max NA power.

Its nice that you can still adjust some functions like gears and speedo and such, as well as being able to spray.

Are you using a dry or wet system? What hp are you jetting for?

Since I have 28 lb/hr injectors I am think about a dry system for my truck, I like the way dry systems dont have fuel flowing thru the normally dry intake, plus no intake fires, and the ability to spray right out of the hole as there is no fuel to puddle in the intake.

peace
Hog
Old 02-10-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do not have a system yet. I was researching the ability to use it. I was thinking a 100 to a 125 shot dry system.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:39 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

I see, I was talking to Robert from Nitrous Direct, his call sign here is Robert56 .

He was amazingly helpful,and really helped me understand the dry systems. You simply put a nitrous nozzle before the MAF sensor, the IAT (intake air temp.) sensor senses the cold nitrous temp. and switches the PCM into a different mode, the MAF sensor also measures the extra airflow. Then the PCM instructs the injectors to increase their pulsewidth to simply add the extra required fuel will on the bottle.
Since the 99+ trucks use the same 85mm MAF sensor that the 2001+ LS1 and 2001 and 2004 LS6 engines your MAF will have plent of flow for 500+ rwhp. I have a GM 85mm MAFS that I will be intsalling on my truck to replace its stock 75mm unit. I will install the new MAFS flow frequencies with my Tunercats OBD2 software. I have the wiring to swap from my stock divorved IAt sensor to the newer integral IAT sensor in the new style MAFS.

The fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel injectors and engine strength are the limiting factors with a dry system. Less plumbing and less components to fail. Instead of plumbing and wiring both the fuel and nitrous solenoids, you can plumb and wire 2 nitrous side solenoids to back each other up adding a very good measure of safety, if 1 doesnt close, the other solenoid will.

Seeing that I dont have my crappy stock 19 lb/hr poppets anymore I can upgrade my injectors just like you can with you GEN 3 LS based trucks and engines.
He said that he has seen a friend dyno 480 rwhp with 28 lb/hr injectors.

When I am ready to get a system, I will be getting a Nitrous Direct system, even though I will be dding no more than 100-150hp while spraying, his kits contain components that are good for 400+ hp just in case I decide to go crazy and get a fully forged setup. I hate the idea of spending some money, then having to spend more money to upgrade to larger parts that I should have bought in the 1st place. With the Nitrous Direct kits I shouldnt have to rebuy parts, but I may need to buy some extra components, but thats OK. It spending money twice on the same but larger component that bugs me.

I have a feeling that Robert will provide excellent support after the sale just in case I have any problems. He seemed very interested in my setup and he knows his stuff. Hopefully I can get a setup from Nitrous Direct this year.

The lack of abbility to raise the 1996-2000 revlimiter from the stock 5600 rpm to over 5800 rpm by any PCM Tuner in North America so far has put the brakes on my cam and head project for my GEN1-E Vortec 350. To make power I need to have a rev limit higher than that, the good thing with nitrous is that it tends to lowerthe hp and torque peaks from the dyno sheets I have seen, this is a good thing for me. I have also seen a nice reduction in exhaust gas temps. for the turbo/supercharged crowd when on spray.

Goodluck with your setup Silver-Dollar
peace
Hog
Old 02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you have a good plan. The one thing that interest me is in your last paragraph, I though that I read somewhere that Nitrous has a tendency to raise your peak rpms like by 500 or so.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

HMmm, there are a couple graphs that I have quickly looked at that had the power and torque mpeaks lowered from 500-800 rpm.

I will do some more digging though, thanks, you may have saved me some headaches if it raises the peaks.
thanks

peace
Hog