Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Thinking about biting the bullet and buying HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about biting the bullet and buying HP Tuners

As title states I am thinking about going ahead and buying it. I have a 86 military blazer with a cammed LQ9 that Jesse did a mail order on and it just isn't right. Damn thing idles like **** and doesn't run like it should so I am thinking about trying to smooth it out myself as I would like to learn how to tune.
I am in the process of doing a lq4/80E swap in a 89 suburban for a buddy and it is going to need tuned. Hell I have 3 more trucks that I plan on doing LS swaps in, my dad is building a 408 for his 67 nova, I have a 06 CC and the wife has a 05 tahoe so I am around too many of these motors to not have it in my opnion.

How well would the tune repository help me out with baselines or a good starting point? I understand it will be a lot of time reading and studying to figure all this out. So should I buy it and start learning? Hell the closest tuner in my area and probably on of the best out the is Gomer but he stays busy as hell and is hard to get a hold of. Any advise is appreciated!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

408 in the nova will pwn...I would definitely invest in hp tuners if I were you. The repository is mostly stock tunes. Thats the beauty of tuning your own stuff though...its fun to experiment and learn if you're into the how and why of things, plus you don't have to wait for "gomer" to tune you up. Don't expect to be able tune swaps automagically though...just saying judging by your workload it would be a good investment.

Last edited by RSTinOKC; 03-29-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RSTinOKC
408 in the nova will pwn...I would definitely invest in hp tuners if I were you. The repository is mostly stock tunes. Thats the beauty of tuning your own stuff though...its fun to experiment and learn if you're into the how and why of things, plus you don't have to wait for "gomer" to tune you up. Don't expect to be able tune swaps automagically though.
I would love to know how to do it myself. Hell I don't like paying folks for things I can or could do myself so I would love to learn and I have a few I can pratice with and mess up my own **** before I fool with someone else's.lol
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is the key to it my friend.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Launching!

What about the book by Dan Maslic? Sounds like a good place to start as far as reading material.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard good things, but something to be weary of is that alot of the "master" and "right way" books are built around wideband tuning. "Master" is much more affordable than "Right Way".
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a general understanding of how fuel injection works, and what all of different sensors/parts do, then you will pick up on HPT pretty quickly. You should definitely consider learning to tune your own setup. Besides, mail-order idle tuning almost never turns out exactly right.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

i would advise you to get the MPVI pro........ because its 150 more but if you upgrade later its 289!!! you will end up getting it... allows stand alone logging.... no need for PC and you can connect external Wideband to it( which you really need if you want to tune correctly no guessing)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The Pro version is worth the extra cash, and you really should get a wideband(makes tuning more accurate, you get better results).
Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Launching!

I appreciate the info guys. I have already started doing some studying and look forward to asking some really dumb questions

Quick Reply: Thinking about biting the bullet and buying HP Tuners