Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

For those running MAF ONLY, I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question For those running MAF ONLY, I have a question

Just wondering if whomever is running MAF ONLY tunes in their trucks, if you also left the LTFT's DISABLED?

By the way, I'm not referring to having LTFT's disabled just while TUNING, I mean those that are RUNNING MAF ONLY tunes, full time.

I know some say it shouldn't, or won't, make any difference if you disable VE and run strictly off the MAF meter/tune, but I just wanted to try it for a tank of gas or two, just to see what I thought about it, if anything. So far, it does seem to run a little more crisper down low, or possibly more responsive, but it always does when it's cold out anyway, so the jury's still out on this "mod".

Presently, I have kept the LTFT's "disabled", but haven't really read/heard if that's right or not?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive never heard of disabling the VE table??? Open Loop MAF still runs the VE table as far as I know.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Ive never heard of disabling the VE table??? Open Loop MAF still runs the VE table as far as I know.
I am running closed loop MAF only, as far as I know.

Only things changed from "stock" type tune, are...
In HPTuners:
Engine > Airflow > Dynamic Airflow > High RPM Disable > 0 rpm's
(stock is 4000, so at 4000 rpm's or less it is "blended" with VE table, but at 0 it isn't used unless MAF fails, unless I read it wrong over and over, which is possible, lol)

Engine > Fuel Control > OL & CL > Long Term Fuel Trims > Disabled

This is how I read to do it on HPTuners site.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not familiar with HP tuners, so that's all foreign to me.

I'm curious, why would you not want to use the VE table?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not familiar with HP tuners, so that's all foreign to me.

I'm curious, why would you not want to use the VE table?
Hopefully, I don't make anyone fall asleep...

Not that I don't want to, just always trying to keep an open mind on new ideas. Several people have done this and I haven't yet read any negatives about it...in fact, quite the opposite. The MAF makes adaptive changes much quicker than a VE table can, so it stands to reason that the vehicle "should" respond (and run) better running on MAF only, plus it's much quicker and easier to tune than the VE table is.

I have STFT's within 2% via tuning of the VE table, as well as by tuning just the MAF table. It doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever as far as fuel mileage, like some have claimed, but overall drive-ability seems to be better. Just feels "crisper" if that makes sense?

What baffles me is that before I started doing any tuning on my old cam only 2000 SS Camaro, or my truck, I have owned and/or tuned several cammed and/or supercharged and/or nitroused Mustangs and they all run strictly MAF only without issue. If you put a lumpy cam in a (pre-MAF) speed density 5.0 Mustang (or any speed density EFI Ford for that matter), it'll barely run without a ton of computer chip tuning trial and error, whereas a MAF equipped car will start, idle, and run fine without any tuning whatsoever. If you want to put a supercharger on a speed density equipped Ford, the first thing you need to do is "convert" it to a MAF setup.

After doing a lot of reading lately, and after wondering about this hybrid VE/MAF GM stuff for a while, I know it can't hurt, and actually can't help but wonder why these vehicles even have a computer that blends two different airflow tables instead of using one that is accurate by itself?

As soon as weather is decent again, I hope to talk my buddy into trying a MAF ONLY tune on his big cammed Z06 Corvette. That car screams anywhere over 4000 rpm's, when it's running strictly MAF only anyway, but he has had long term inconsistent idle and low rpm drive-ability issues for a long time now. If my thinking is right, tuning that car to run MAF only will give him the drive-ability that he's been lacking.

If not, it's only a 31 second re-flash away from being back to the way it was.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting, I've found my truck runs much crisper on speed density tune.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Interesting, I've found my truck runs much crisper on speed density tune.
That's what has me baffled. It seems a lot of LS powered vehicles with bigger cams like running speed density, and swear by it. Myself, I'd hate having to change the tune to fit the weather, but that's just me.

Can't help but wonder how many (if any) who do run speed density, have tried running MAF only?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been running OLMAF ever since i put the wideband in. disabled stft, ltft, and closed loop. seems to be much more consistent and responsive now and it finally got rid of the dead spot around 0 vacuum.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

I've been running OLMAF for about 5 months now, I disabled Closed Loop all together like 454 SuperSport, I love the crisp throttle and especially how easy it is to tune... I've done a couple of LS transplants and OLMAF is the way to go...IMO
Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I hate my cats

Hmmm, that would make tuning SO much simpler, and that is a good point about the Mustangs...

Quick Reply: For those running MAF ONLY, I have a question