Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

thunder racing tune or nelson

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thunder racing tune or nelson

I live near thunder racing and was wondering what would be better either to to get a TR tune or a mail order nelson. Does TR even do dyno tunes? My truck is still pretty stock so I dont know if a dyno tune would benefit me any more then a mailorder. Also what is torque management and what is a servo? thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Truck addict

TR all the way. if i am not mistaken you will end up with a dyno tune and that will help squeeze all the extra hp outa that motor. talk to litreddevil. he has had his stuff tuned by geoff at thunder. not knocking allen but if i had the choice between a mail order or dynotune, dyno will win out.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

No way! Nelson tune!!! All the way!
No need for a dyno tune at or near stock with a few bolt-ons.
I would go with the Nelson tune with 75-80% of TM removed with a 93oct tune. You can have him remove 100% if your brave enough like myself. I love it that way though.
You only spend $4.00 more for 93oct vs. 87oct on a full fill up. Plus you get a lot more performance from a 93 oct tune over a 87oct tune.
TM (Torque Management) is a program in the PCM to pull back HP & TQ right before it shifts and upon hard take-offs. It also decreases your tranny's line pressure so you get ugly smooth soft shifts. By taking out some of the TM you will get the most power from your engine and better precise firmer shifts from the tranny which in turn gives you a lot better performance.
You will also get better MPG once your PCM learns its new program and when you quit sticking your foot into the floorboard!
The vette servo basically has more apply area in the servo than the one in your truck currently. It will not make it shift harder, it actually perfects each shift and allows the tranny to hold the vehicle in gear better without it shifting down constantly when going up a hill and such.
Though if you do decide to do the vette servo, do not get the billet rod, just use the same rod that's in the servo that your truck has in it.
Also change your t-stat to a 170 or 180* stat.
Hope this helps!

Jim
Old 03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to reccomend Futral motorsports for a dyno tune.
Nelson does good work though.
But since you live in Louisiana I strongly suggest taking it to Futral.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Truck addict

i concur with ranwalk. futral or TR
Old 03-03-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the info guys. where is futral located?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
11 Second Truck Club

either one is good but if you live close to thunder then go with them...
Old 03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JT-bo
thanks for all the info guys. where is futral located?
There located in Walker. They are a sponsor at LS1tech. I cant post a link to his site since he isnt a sponsor here.
I would choose him over Thunder of course because he does all my tuning. also though, all Alan does is LS1 based stuff and some earlier lt1 stuff. Thunder does other makes of cars, not a bad thing, but I feel alot more comfortable using somebody that specializes in only one engine type.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ranwalk
There located in Walker. They are a sponsor at LS1tech. I cant post a link to his site since he isnt a sponsor here.
I would choose him over Thunder of course because he does all my tuning. also though, all Alan does is LS1 based stuff and some earlier lt1 stuff. Thunder does other makes of cars, not a bad thing, but I feel alot more comfortable using somebody that specializes in only one engine type.
As Nelson does mostly only GM!
Very reputable guy!

Jim
Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Allen will do a in truck street dyno tune if you drive to him or if he is in houston he will do it there.

Quick Reply: thunder racing tune or nelson