Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

thunder racing tune or nelson

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno tunes are hands down better than mail order tunes. Local is better than having to drive 2 hours or more for a dyno tune. Go to someone you can look at and talk to about it face to face. Doesn't matter if it's 10 miles or 1000 miles. Do it in person.

Futral and Thunder both nave some down right BAD *** cars. No way around it, they have the experience, and they have the knowledge to do it right. Check into their project cars. They deserve a lot more credit than are being handed to them.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Definatly get a real tune, no mailo order. you live close enough to both Futral, and thunder. Personally, I know who id go with, but eigther should be good. Allan Nelson is suposed to be the ****, but EVERY truck is going to be a little different, so go put it on the dyno, hook up the wb, and get it right on. Walker isnt but a little drive
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys ... I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. Thunder and Futral have WAY more experience and way better results.

Even as me being a tuner, I would be honored to be able to watch them tune, and see what they do. These guys aren't just tuning, they do it all from grinding their own cams to building high HP motors. I'm sorry, and don't take this as a slam to Nelson, but they aren't in the same league!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flyer
Guys ... I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. Thunder and Futral have WAY more experience and way better results.

Even as me being a tuner, I would be honored to be able to watch them tune, and see what they do. These guys aren't just tuning, they do it all from grinding their own cams to building high HP motors. I'm sorry, and don't take this as a slam to Nelson, but they aren't in the same league!
Well...the only real way that your statement could actually be backed up with is to have all the tuners do a tuner shoot-out.
I'll have to say Allen is right there with them or in a slightly higher league of tuning for GM engines.

Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 05:25 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flyer

Me too, Id love to see them work their magic. I have a couple of friends that work at one of the places, and the knowledge they have gained from just being there is amazing.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Well...the only real way that your statement could actually be backed up with is to have all the tuners do a tuner shoot-out.
I'll have to say Allen is right there with them or in a slightly higher league of tuning for GM engines.

Jim

1. Not gonna happen
2. Even if it did it wouldnt be fair. If any tuner knew what was gonna happen, they would get mutch more agressive just so they could win. It would have to be completely incognito, and I dont know anyone willing to spend $3k+ just to find out who makes 1-2 more hp, or who has a better power curve. The real test would be a mail order test with a non stock motor. Ie cam heads etc. I know someone willing to offer a test vehicle though if someone is willing to fund the tunes, and dyno time.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by white1
1. Not gonna happen
2. Even if it did it wouldnt be fair. If any tuner knew what was gonna happen, they would get mutch more agressive just so they could win. It would have to be completely incognito, and I dont know anyone willing to spend $3k+ just to find out who makes 1-2 more hp, or who has a better power curve. The real test would be a mail order test with a non stock motor. Ie cam heads etc. I know someone willing to offer a test vehicle though if someone is willing to fund the tunes, and dyno time.
Each one of them sending out a mail order PCM for the exact same truck would be a great way to test their products.
Of course each tuner would have to be told how much TM to be removed, what octane tune, and what the current mods are to be tuned for.
Don't know if anyone would want to actually fork up the cash to do this though.

Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My motor isnt stock

Flyer Allen Nelson tunes motors on the dyno for Nickens racing every week down in Houston. Allen has been tuning for long enough to know what is going on and apparently knows a little something about tuning since a VERY reputable engine builder in Houston trusts him with 20K motors on the dyno. I could continue in this pissing match but I wont. I agree a dyno tune is the best for this guys app. Nelson could probably get it spot on but if it were me I would get a dyno tune. You can only do so much through the mail without logging software. IMO Allen would be a better tuner than the afor mentioned places but again just my opinion. Allen has been nothing but professional gone above and beyond just helping with tuning and will continue to get my vote for the best tuner and money well spent. Just my take on things take it for what it is worth.

Last edited by Flyer; 03-09-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
My motor isnt stock

Flyer Allen Nelson tunes motors on the dyno for Nickens racing every week down in Houston. Please be educated before spouting off non sense. Allen has been tuning for long enough to know what is going on and apparently knows a little something about tuning since a VERY reputable engine builder in Houston trusts him with 20K motors on the dyno. I could continue in this pissing match but I wont. I agree a dyno tune is the best for this guys app. Nelson could probably get it spot on but if it were me I would get a dyno tune. You can only do so much through the mail without logging software. IMO Allen would be a better tuner than the afor mentioned places but again just my opinion. Allen has been nothing but professional gone above and beyond just helping with tuning and will continue to get my vote for the best tuner and money well spent. Just my take on things take it for what it is worth.
Don't forget about Corvettes of Houston calling him down from San Antonio to come tune up their vettes!!!!
These guys don't really know what Allen is capable of.

Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Don't forget about Corvettes of Houston calling him down from San Antonio to come tune up their vettes!!!!
These guys don't really know what Allen is capable of.

Jim
Yeah forgot about them.

Im not immune to it though either unfortunately

**Personal attacks are not necessary**

Last edited by Flyer; 03-09-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: thunder racing tune or nelson