Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Timing in the 60' Launch

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash Dummy
Also being able to hold the gas pedal on the floor and release the brake on the green made it real consistent
That's why I asked about...
Originally Posted by me
Is this the same concept on the jap cars, my buds wrx, his tuner set it up so he can floor it at the gate, it won't go over 4500rpm, but not like a rev limiter. It doesn't bounce. Then when he takes off, beautiful 60'.
LOL Well, the secret is out for 2wd guys having spinning issues.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:26 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
That's why I asked about...

LOL Well, the secret is out for 2wd guys having spinning issues.

never a secret, I have mentioned it several times.....just went un noticed.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:07 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
so true, as you know I preach ATD all the time
Old 06-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Must of missed the topics. Never found any thing concerning the topic, I imagine it was discussed inside of different threads off topic. Oh well.

Curious what's crash's take on the correction table and how it would be open for possible problmes, or anybody's for that matter.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

It seems to me that if you were going for a program to assist you in traction control you'd simply program the throttle blade to not open 100% at wide open under that area. Essentially what you're doing is the same as a two step which is just heating up the blower and the trans by doing wide open at the line as well as pre-loading the suspension which creates less weight transfer on the launch. If you went off idle you'd get much more weight transfer and with a little programming you could control the throttle blade opening. Honestly if you are experiencing a traction problem on a 13 second truck you need to work on the suspension some and chose a different tire. Another issue with reducing the timing down low and lauching it at wide open is that you're going to be fouling the plugs while sitting at the line and having to clear them up as you get rolling. Pulling a 1.9 60' time on something as heavy as a crew cab with the low end created by the radix shouldn't be all that hard. With some work 1.8's should be attainable.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:56 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
It seems to me that if you were going for a program to assist you in traction control you'd simply program the throttle blade to not open 100% at wide open under that area. Essentially what you're doing is the same as a two step which is just heating up the blower and the trans by doing wide open at the line as well as pre-loading the suspension which creates less weight transfer on the launch. If you went off idle you'd get much more weight transfer and with a little programming you could control the throttle blade opening. Honestly if you are experiencing a traction problem on a 13 second truck you need to work on the suspension some and chose a different tire. Another issue with reducing the timing down low and lauching it at wide open is that you're going to be fouling the plugs while sitting at the line and having to clear them up as you get rolling. Pulling a 1.9 60' time on something as heavy as a crew cab with the low end created by the radix shouldn't be all that hard. With some work 1.8's should be attainable.
without speaking for CrashDummy, i think the whole point was the ability to drive to the track, not change anything, and run consistant and relatively quick, in addition to trying something innovative. From what I remember, this is a very no hassle way to go racing and have tons of fun.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Former Moderator :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to me that if you were going for a program to assist you in traction control you'd simply program the throttle blade to not open 100% at wide open under that area. Essentially what you're doing is the same as a two step which is just heating up the blower and the trans by doing wide open at the line as well as pre-loading the suspension which creates less weight transfer on the launch. If you went off idle you'd get much more weight transfer and with a little programming you could control the throttle blade opening. Honestly if you are experiencing a traction problem on a 13 second truck you need to work on the suspension some and chose a different tire. Another issue with reducing the timing down low and launching it at wide open is that you're going to be fouling the plugs while sitting at the line and having to clear them up as you get rolling. Pulling a 1.9 60' time on something as heavy as a crew cab with the low end created by the radix shouldn't be all that hard. With some work 1.8's should be attainable.
I went to the track and my first two runs were 13.9 and 13.8 I was sliding all over and had 0 grip with the street tires so as a quick fix I did my timing table correction and that gave me 11 runs between 13.34 and 13.42 and every 60' was a 1.9 something. I have a cable throttle so programing the t body is out of the question and as far as fouling plugs I have a fuel injected truck not carburated so that cant happen and I don't hold the pedal on the floor long enough to hurt anything. I am sure there is a million ways of getting traction but this is the way I do it. I tried 28x12.50 ET streets and 15 degrees of timing the next time at the track and was unable to run any better 60' or 1/4 time. In have been racing and tuning performance cars for over 35 years and I have been a tuner for 3 major blower companies, I have worked for and with some very big name racers and engine builders and owned and operated one of the largest performance centers in SoCal. I have cut 9 in a row .019 lights at the track, won fastest street truck shoot out twice and won first place twice at the Truckin Nationals before so without being modest I can make quick decisions on what it takes to make it down the track when in a bind. And if you think you shouldn't have a traction problem on a Magna Charged vehicle with street tires you obviously haven't ridin in a properly tuned one. Sorry for being so blunt but you come onto this thread like you are some expert or something when you don't have all the facts and try to take over what was a interesting topic for some.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:49 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly if you are experiencing a traction problem on a 13 second truck you need to work on the suspension some and chose a different tire.
Sorry I am not running in the low 12s as the SS's that you have tuned are......I am a 5.3L supercharged cammed crew cab running in the low 13's @ 102 on street tires....Not that bad IMO.

Zippy, you come off a bit arrogant about this.....I dont understand why, I have seen the calibrations from some of the trucks you have tuned, and quite frankly myself and others that have seen them about fell out of their chair. So before you start knocking on the door of someone that just might know what he is talking about, you might want to think twice.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Arrogant??? I made one post on the topic. I never claimed to be the best nor will I. If the guys are laughing and falling out of their chair I'd be willing to hear what they find so amusing. On a regular basis I have to fix work of other tuners that have Radix trucks for example with the PE coming in at 90%, untouched V.E. tables, spark tables that look like they just want blocks of numbers, untouched part throttle trans tuning, line pressure tables that they guessed on, shift timing that is nothing more than a solid number. So, I have the time, go into my programming and tell me where you fell out of your chair. This should be good.

I don't get the fuel injected part. You can foul plugs on an injected engine just as you can a carburated engine. Once you're wide open there is no closed loop so it's not going to correct the a/f ratio for you. If you ran a 28/12.50 tire and couldn't improve your 60' time, there is a problem. I've had customers pull 1.8 and 1.9 60' times in pickups with tires that have a 400+ treadwear rating. Another friend with a procharged and bagged truck pulled a 1.7 60' time on a 235/60R15 with full timing. One of my customers with an S10 extended cab was able to get into the 1.8 60' area with 215/65R15's that he paid $42 a piece for. I don't get where I come off as an expert. I again posted one time in here. I never doubted your abilities. I have no reason to. If you've been doing performance work for 35 years, congrats. I don't know how that relates to the topic. I'm not sure where I haven't ridden in a properly tuned Radix truck. I've tuned more than enough of them to run times that suprised people and with very good 60' times even in trucks with centrifugal superchargers.

Honestly guys, if you see me taking a shot at anyone here, I'd like to know where it is. Someone else brought up the programming of the IAT. My comment here was simply that there are better ways to get the 60' time than taking all of the timing away.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Former Moderator :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrogant??? I made one post on the topic. I never claimed to be the best nor will I. If the guys are laughing and falling out of their chair I'd be willing to hear what they find so amusing. On a regular basis I have to fix work of other tuners that have Radix trucks for example with the PE coming in at 90%, untouched V.E. tables, spark tables that look like they just want blocks of numbers, untouched part throttle trans tuning, line pressure tables that they guessed on, shift timing that is nothing more than a solid number. So, I have the time, go into my programming and tell me where you fell out of your chair. This should be good.

I don't get the fuel injected part. You can foul plugs on an injected engine just as you can a carburated engine. Once you're wide open there is no closed loop so it's not going to correct the a/f ratio for you. If you ran a 28/12.50 tire and couldn't improve your 60' time, there is a problem. I've had customers pull 1.8 and 1.9 60' times in pickups with tires that have a 400+ treadwear rating. Another friend with a procharged and bagged truck pulled a 1.7 60' time on a 235/60R15 with full timing. One of my customers with an S10 extended cab was able to get into the 1.8 60' area with 215/65R15's that he paid $42 a piece for. I don't get where I come off as an expert. I again posted one time in here. I never doubted your abilities. I have no reason to. If you've been doing performance work for 35 years, congrats. I don't know how that relates to the topic. I'm not sure where I haven't ridden in a properly tuned Radix truck. I've tuned more than enough of them to run times that surprised people and with very good 60' times even in trucks with centrifugal superchargers.

Honestly guys, if you see me taking a shot at anyone here, I'd like to know where it is. Someone else brought up the programming of the IAT. My comment here was simply that there are better ways to get the 60' time than taking all of the timing away.
Lets see, Yes you can foul plugs on a fuel injected and carburated engine if the tune is crap but with fuel injection you can set the fuel mixture at 12.1 and hold it there all day without fouling the plugs, there is no difference as if I steady state a engine at 2000 rpm at WOT on a dyno or if I hold it at WOT in a vehicle. Closed loop has absolutely nothing to do with it it is a PE command and if the PE command is at the correct fuel mixture and that can be anything I wish it to be it will not foul the plugs. I don't even know how you could compare a Pro Charger to a MagnaCharger at 2000 rpm because the Pro charger has no boost or torque at that RPM range unless you have a 15 lb pulley on it, the Magna Charger is going to have about 5lbs more boost and about 100 ft lbs more torque so I cant see how they compare. It is really easy to see why the slicks did not help , its because the stock torque converter is to tight and you can't hit or flash it to gain anything by it. And as far as the S-10 I hope it 60's better after all it weighs a whole lot less. Don't take this personal zippy it just bothers me that everytime someone starts a hp tuner thread some -ss hole EFI Live or TunerCat owner has to try to take over and Every time some one starts a Magna Charger thread some -ss hole Vortec or Kenne Bell owner has to try to start there crap , well this is no different you came into this thread with this why in the hell would you do that attitude to be honest go start you own thread on your method and if anyone is interested great but unless you have positive things to say Please don;t post.

Quick Reply: Timing in the 60' Launch