Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Truck stalls after remote start on cold days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalls after remote start on cold days?

When I do a remote start in the morning on freezing temps the idle climbs and drops back and forth and then dies. I thought it was the IAC but replaced it with AC Delco and problem remains. It's a 02 with a LQ-9 and Nelson tune. When truck is ran and warmed up it starts with remote start fine. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

It sounds like you are getting fuel line freeze on ur truck, Mine sits in a car port but I back the *** end in so the nose sticks out so I can pull away easier in the mornings.... anyways my truck does the same thing when its cold and if you go buy a bottle of "Heet" put it in ur fuel tank that will take out some of the water in your system. It got down to -38 here monday night with this storm and I had just put in 2 bottles of heat and filled my tank and tues morn. it was like hell to get my truck started. Once the fuel starts flowing in the lines it will idle on its own , its just getting that little bit of frozen fuel to move through the lines.....
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

PS, my truck acts like this when it gets down to around 20* outside......hope this helps
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
MASS seller approved

Thanx aeorozco nice truck by the way mine is identical same yr same color same package anyway thanx I'll give it a shot
Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I had this exact same problem for a year on my 00 5.3. its definitely your intake gasket. they are thin from the factory and as time goes by they lift and suck air when its cold, but when the block warms up, they seal back up. felpro makes a MUCH more robust gasket and did the trick. 260,000 strong.

hope this helps you!

-Dixon
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It is quite possible your tune needs some work in that area. Here in texas which is where nelson is from it doesn't get that cold. So it might just be something they need to touch up in the tune for you. I have more than once had to tweak a tune once the weather got cold. We just can't get the IAT low enough around here to tune for it that cold unless it is actually cold outside and have the vehicle in front of you to tweak it.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
It is quite possible your tune needs some work in that area. Here in texas which is where nelson is from it doesn't get that cold. So it might just be something they need to touch up in the tune for you. I have more than once had to tweak a tune once the weather got cold. We just can't get the IAT low enough around here to tune for it that cold unless it is actually cold outside and have the vehicle in front of you to tweak it.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

On my 08 the remote start just refused to work if it was too cold. The lights would blink like it was starting but it just said no, basically...lol. Never looked into why.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Launching!

This is another reason why I'm hesitant to buy a remote starter for my 2011 Canyon. I hear stories of them acting funny sometimes.
It would be nice to go out in the morning to a warm truck though. LOL
Good luck
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Launching!

I just got the gm remote start on my truck about 2 weeks ago and it works flawlessly when I clear my check engine light(still no tune for the headers) but when I don't clear it it won't work. The fuel pump will run a split second then it won't do anything

Quick Reply: Truck stalls after remote start on cold days?