Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

truck won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck won't start!

Just finished installing my new engine and 4l80e this weekend, did the tranny wiring and hooked up the battery. When i turn the key on everything lights up and the security light comes on. It will not turn over. After this the dash and marker lights stay on along with the security light and the only way to take them off is to disconnect the battery. Once i turn the key on again it all happens again. My hp-tuners won't connect to the truck. Our shop's Snap-On Solus scan tool won't connect. The procedure in our manual to reset the security light does not work. Also another weird thing - i've had a trickle charger on while i was trying to figure it out and whenever i remove it the door chimes go off for a while. Anyone have any idea of where to look? It looks like all grounds are hooked up and everything is plugged in properly. I though it maybe cause the old tune is still in there but i can't get in to change it!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by t_thall
Just finished installing my new engine and 4l80e this weekend, did the tranny wiring and hooked up the battery. When i turn the key on everything lights up and the security light comes on. It will not turn over. After this the dash and marker lights stay on along with the security light and the only way to take them off is to disconnect the battery. Once i turn the key on again it all happens again. My hp-tuners won't connect to the truck. Our shop's Snap-On Solus scan tool won't connect. The procedure in our manual to reset the security light does not work. Also another weird thing - i've had a trickle charger on while i was trying to figure it out and whenever i remove it the door chimes go off for a while. Anyone have any idea of where to look? It looks like all grounds are hooked up and everything is plugged in properly. I though it maybe cause the old tune is still in there but i can't get in to change it!
Re-do all the grounds. When I got the LQ9 in it would not turn over. All kinds of weird **** was happening. Both of my turn signals would light up on the dash, the tow/haul light would come on, my speakers popped when I locked the doors, etc. I never in my wildest dreams thought a bad ground could cause all this. I thought I had friend something electronic but all fuses were good. It was the bad ground from the battery to the block.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for double-checking all your grounds. There should be three ground wires on the upper back of the block and two on the lower driver's side.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Once you check the ground straps try to connect. Check the fuse for the DLC. It's the same one for the cig liter. If it's blown you won't be able to connect. Did you change any modules? PCM, BCM, etc.?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question but are you using your key fob to lock/unlock the doors to reset the security light or are you doing it another way?
Just throwing it out there.

This problem comes up a lot after a swap and it's usually something simple that takes forever to find. If i get bored i'll do a search cuz i know there's a few threads from people who had the same problem, just don't remember the different solutions.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Once you check the ground straps try to connect. Check the fuse for the DLC. It's the same one for the cig liter. If it's blown you won't be able to connect. Did you change any modules? PCM, BCM, etc.?
didn't change any modules
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Stupid question but are you using your key fob to lock/unlock the doors to reset the security light or are you doing it another way?
In our shops manual it says it is a thirty minute process to reset the light, unless you have a tech II.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned. for the HPT and Scan tool check the Cig Lighter fuse under the hood. I spent hours trying to get EFILive to connect and couldn't because that fews blew. Hopefully that'll at least let you take a look around.
I dunno if shutting the VATs off would help you or not.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

I figured it out! I had tightened one of the grounds on the back of the engine with an impact and a long extension and never looked at it after it was tight, i guess it must of spun around and snapped the eyelet off, so you guys were right about the grounds - thanks!!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! Glad to hear you figured it out

Quick Reply: truck won't start!