Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Truck won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start?

Just finished replacing the transmission and now the truck tries to start as soon as I connect power. The battery is completely drained from listening to the radio while working on it so all the starter did was make a tap tap tap noise. The wiring was never disconnected from the starter. I have no friggin clue what's going on! Please help!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Let me emphasize that I pulled the starter out twice and checked the wiring. Wiring is ok.

After having the battery connected for 30 seconds the starter quit making noise. I then tried to jump the terminals of the solenoidand and it made the same tap tap tap even though I was jumping my truck with my neighbors
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like the starter wires are hooked up wrong, or you are missing the ground wire to the back of the passenger side head.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First is your battery now fully charged...if not charge it, make sure its okay...not a good idea to leave the power hooked up pulling and replacing the trans...IMO. Second see if you can roll the engine over with using a big socket on the crank nut and I assume your flywheel turns otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get all the bolts in the torque converter...you will be just verifying that the starter would be able to turn it freely. Next disconnect from battery....check power wire to starter with ohm meter to verify you have a clean wire....then do the same for the negative/ground. Last I would pull the starter and test or get it tested....you may have accidently fried it. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

i had somewhat close to the same problem after changing the filter kit and fluids. when i went to crank it up it ticked like the battery was dead and then i finally got it to start, when i moved it and put it in park, so i thought, then went to move it again it wouldn't start it just made a bunch of clicking noises. turns out in the process of putting the pan back in we broke the shift link housing and it was not all the way in park it was in between park and reverse. but would start in neutral. might be the same thing...
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

I would check the purple wire with the key on without cranking it, there should be NO POWER on that wire. If there is power there you have shorted that wire causing it to crank all of the time. Like Chavette said it is absolutely a horrible idea to leave the key on while pulling the trans.

The purple wire also goes from the igntion thru the Park/Neutral switch and to the starter, check the wiring harness on top of the trans to see if shorted, if that wire is not shorted anywhere then the solenoid is interally shorted.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

O yeah and make sure the battery is fully charged while doing that testing