Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

The Tune File Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder550
I've shared my sentiments elsewhere, but I'm going to do it here too....

I know I'm late in the game here, but I don't see a lot to be gained by this. The people who are going to benefit the most from this are the people who buy an HPT/EFI cable and don't know how to tune and want something they can flash into their PCM real quick with no work. That's not going to fly real well with the sponsors.

The people who do their own tuning are not going to use the tunes posted other than possibly as a reference or just to glance through them, but that can be done just as easily by emailing another member and asking for a copy of their tune.

I don't see hardly any benefit, but I do see a lot of headaches and pissed off sponsors.
I think if people are going to spend the money on $500 or more tuning software they are probably ready to learn how to tune. If people were just looking for a tune they could load up it would be much more beneficial and cheaper just to buy a mailorder tune.

I still have yet to find any large issues with this thread. I somewhat understand your argument about our sponsors, but in this case, it is a service that technically anyone can offer. The issue lies with how well they can perform that service. Should we not recommend camshafts since Patrick G charges money to spec them? Should we not offer to help someone install a lowering kit because it takes business away from a shop?

The idea is that people have purchased software more expensive than a custom tune from one of our sponsors. That means they are ready to learn how to tune. Everyone has to start somewhere and sometimes being able to compare tunes can be the easiest way to learn. I know a large amount of knowledge I have gained has come from comparing tune files to stock files in EFI Live.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad idea but here is my take on it. For the more novice tuners I think it would be alot better idea to really study up on to learn and fully understand the why and the how the changes are being made to a tune to correct certain problems and for certain setups why the tune is setup the way it is.

People are going to be looking at the tune files and for the inexperienced tuners especially are they really understanding or have the full knowledge of why a tune that maybe similar to their setup is done the way it is or is it just a quick way around for them instead of really taking the time to truly learn?

Just my .02 Not trying to **** anybody off or anything just giving my opinion. When I started out tuning I can't even comprehend the amount hours at a time I spent in front of the laptop either tuning or reading and studying to the point where I couldnt even see straight just so I would have a good amount of knowledge on tuning and what is going on exactly inside of the engine so I knew why and what the changes to the tune were doing.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Personally with myself being a beginner at tuning I would love to have tune files to compare to mine. I have been searching for tunes similar to my mods with little sucess to get an understanding on where my tune is compared to other similar professional tunes and why they did certain things in a tune compared to my mail order and stock tunes. I have read thousands of pages of this and that, but the visual comparison would benefit myself alot. There are very few tuners in my area to ask, and those tuners won't help even when asked questions. I would love to gain the knowledge of tuning and be able to share it with others. I don't want to **** on anyones toes (sponsors etc) but if others like myself are beginning at a DIY and do it on my own vehicle which has a mailorder tune that has free tune upgrades from the tuner I don't see why someone would get mad. I just saved them the time and hassle of not having to tune another PCM for free. Plus if i'm doing small mods at a time I don't want to have to send it out every month or two to have it flashed. Just my .02. So to answer the should we or not, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Whatever happed to this thread?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

it died due to lack of interest....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is an awesome idea especially seeing as how the tunes would be specific to trucks.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone got one for a 6.3, Maggie and 60lb injectors? Didn't think so.