Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

which tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which tuner???

I have a 2008 chevy with a 6.0 liter. I can't decide who to go with for a custom tune. Blackbear, Nelson, Wheatley, or Westers are my choices. Which one would you guys choose? No one has any cores because I think the 08 trucks have a different ecm and tcm than the 07.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 VMAX and I wgot my own copy of hptuners. I could not be happier. It is nice to be able to make any minor or major changes to your tune whenever you want. There is definitely a learning curve, but it is well worth it. Nelson could hook you up with a good base tune and then the fun and the tuning addiction begins! Good Luck!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chakoman
I have an 07 VMAX and I wgot my own copy of hptuners. I could not be happier. It is nice to be able to make any minor or major changes to your tune whenever you want. There is definitely a learning curve, but it is well worth it. Nelson could hook you up with a good base tune and then the fun and the tuning addiction begins! Good Luck!
im with ya on nelson hes a good doood .theyre cust service is excellent.contact melissa via phone line 2 and shell get ya set up with allen.good luck
Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what to think. I don't think I'll be doing any mods but cai and maybe exhaust. I drive it and won't be doing any real racing. The truck just has alot of TM. You wouldn't think it was a 6 liter when you drive it. One of my friends bought a truck like it but got a 5.3 because he thought it ran harder than the 6.0. Right now I'm thinking the same. I bought it this way because it has the heavy duty 4L70E and larger rear end.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

All 4 that you mentioned are great tuners and will give you what you want. Just pick the one with the best deal. If you were looking for a lot more than a good basic tune I might give other advice.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read great things about Nelson and Wheatly, and received great customer service and a great product from Nelson when I ordered his e-fan harness. I must also say that I'm very happy with my PCMforLess tune, as well as the top notch customer service Bryan has given me. He spent alot of time working on my 99 PCM, and even more integrating the 02 PCM I currently have. I've had multiple re-tunes as I've done more mods and he's always hit the mark. Just my .02
Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been in email contact with all of them. Only three of them have the capability to do the mail order tune. None of them have any cores as of now. One needs me to buy software or come for the tune in person. I don't live anywhere close to any of these tuners and I don't think I'll need the software. How easy is it to tune with HP or EFI Live? I work for a GM dealership as a tech but haven't used either. You know GM programming allows the user to change nothing so I haven't been exposed to any of that.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

HPTuners has a great user interface. I find that more comfortable to work with... PLUS, Wheatley & Nelson use HPT. Easy to get help if needed.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

scratch westers from your list. he's in canada and i hear that the border makes things rougher than usual...

i dont know about blackbear but ive had nelson and wheatley and they are 2 of the best IMO.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=TXsilverado;3818044]scratch westers from your list. he's in canada and i hear that the border makes things rougher than usual...
QUOTE]

Its true, lost 4/5 packages since October. The 5th was damaged beyond reconition.

Quick Reply: which tuner???