Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tuning for Boost in the IAT and ECT correction tables....Zippy inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tuning for Boost in the IAT and ECT correction tables....Zippy inside.

Guess we should start a new thread here. I question the logic behind this simply because there will be NO consistancy in the vehicle if you tune it this way. Comments, thoughts?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you say there will be no consistency? We know that higher IAT's = more propensity for detonation. If you want a tune that will always be running as aggressive as possible, wouldn't it make sense to have the tune compensate for the different IAT's?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:55 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by thunder550
Why do you say there will be no consistency? We know that higher IAT's = more propensity for detonation. If you want a tune that will always be running as aggressive as possible, wouldn't it make sense to have the tune compensate for the different IAT's?
and if you were to lets say....zero out the IAT below hmmmm 160*, and do the same on the ECT table....Just add the timing you wanted in the high and low tables.......each and every time you make a pass...it will be within a few tenths. Tuning in the IAT and ECT tables means you will need the exact same conditions each and every time. i.e. never repeat the same pass.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
High on diesel fumes

If you zero out the IAT correction tables and tune for your 130-140 IAT's, then what happens when you add water or meth or even run on a cold night when your IAT's only hit 115? When I was spraying water/meth on the 5.3 I did the entire 1/4 mile run under 100* IAT. In this case, I am leaving power on the table by not running as much timing as I can. Maybe the tune is safe for 140* IAT's, but if I can run another 3 or 4* timing with IAT's in the 90's or 100's then why not? That's untapped potential that can only be utilized if you use the IAT correction table.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

BTW, just so there are no misconceptions, I am running zippy's IAT correction table in my tune. I did not do any of the research or testing on the table, and I want to give credit where it is due. I do believe it is beneficial though, it makes sense when I think about it.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Former Moderator :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Messing with the IAT on a drag race only vehicle will net you nothing but on a street vehicle you can add a degree or two in the colder temps for a small power increasement but Magna Charger tunes at 100-130 and removes for heat after that but due to the inconsistencies and everybody whining that there truck runs slower as it heats up we felt no reason to induce either one. GM has the temp sender in the MAF and on a N/A truck this would be a great way to do tuning based on outside temperature but on A F/I vehicle with the IAT in the manifold there is very little reason to use it for any more then engine protection
Old 06-12-2006, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Your 60ft times will be a lot better with more timing, when you leave the line your IAT's are as cool as they will be. Take advantage of this to get down the track faster. Also yes it does work awesome for engine protection. Its even better when you use in conjuction with meth. There is no better, easier and safer way to add more power when the meth is in use.

I have seen personally seen the positive results of tuning like this on the street and the track. Zippy and I have made it to the track on more then one occasion with laptops in hand to try this stuff out. Try it yourself it works, and does so rather nicely indeed.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Your 60ft times will be a lot better with more timing, when you leave the line your IAT's are as cool as they will be. Take advantage of this to get down the track faster. Also yes it does work awesome for engine protection. Its even better when you use in conjuction with meth. There is no better, easier and safer way to add more power when the meth is in use.

I have seen personally seen the positive results of tuning like this on the street and the track. Zippy and I have made it to the track on more then one occasion with laptops in hand to try this stuff out. Try it yourself it works, and does so rather nicely indeed.
So is what your saying is that you can see better 60 foot times by tuning your IAT table rather than just commanding the correct timing? I do understand that on the street it makes a lot of sense, but I don't see how you can have any gain at the track. If you know what timing will net you the best times, why not just run that? The only thing I can think of where it would make sense, is if you were running all day long, and you optimized your tune for the first run when you were nice and cool, but after that you need some timing retard later in the day due to the heat. But that sure does leave for inconsistancies, as well as lower e.t's. But if one is too lazy to just change out his tune, I guess it would work.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
High on diesel fumes

Surely you have seen how much heat builds up just from the start to finish of a 1/4 mile pass....without any spray or with just 100% water spray I can go from 110* off the line to 140+ by the end. If you dial the IAT spark tables in correctly you can run as much spark as possible at any given point at any given IAT. If you run a tune that was made for the 140* IAT's at the end of the run you are leaving untapped power on the table, as I said before.....

Bottom line is that the optimal timing is depended on IAT's, so if you don't take them into account you are not realizing the full potential of the tune.

Take a certain cell from the base spark table that you hit twice in one run, once in 1st gear and once in 2nd gear. When you hit that cell in 1st gear you might be able to run 23* timing because your IAT's have not risen much from your off-the-line IAT's. Now by the time you hit that same cell again in 2nd gear, your IAT's are 20* higher. Now maybe you can only get 21* timing without getting knock. If you tune for 21* timing, you are leaving power on the table when you hit the cell in 1st gear. If you tune for 23* timing, you are going to get knock when you hit the cell in 2nd. If you use the IAT correction table, you can hit 23* timing in 1st and 21* timing in 2nd by using the same base spark table.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess my take on it is that I am tuning for the street. It is a daily driven street truck. Don't really give a hoot for consistancy at the track. I go there once in a while to see If I have made any improvements. I'm not a bracket racer. When I go to the track I let it sit and cool down in hopes of running that one better time. It is a modifer table. Add more timing when the IAT's are cool, take them away when they are hot.

My 2 cents. Makes perfect sense to me to use this table.

Quick Reply: Tuning for Boost in the IAT and ECT correction tables....Zippy inside.