Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tuning for Boost in the IAT and ECT correction tables....Zippy inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
No sense arguing with people tuning double didigit ET vehicles...............I guess.
Damn easy for an s10 driver to say.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I checked a "10" second run IS a double-digit run...is it not ???
Old 06-15-2006, 01:13 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

So TJ, how's the sole of that left boot taste brother?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

My only comment on this whole war about the IAT tables is that the argument is kind of like arguing about which side of a nickel is worth 5 cents.

Having said that, I prefer to use the IAT correction table how it was designed-- using 0* of correction and normal operating temps and subtracting as the IATs increase (past safe levels) and possibly adding for very low IAT conditions, and running a static spark table that has the best map it can. It's less confusing to me and easier to find errors (only one table to address). I do like the idea of tuning for meth on the street, but at the track it makes more sense to me to run a static table and tune for your conditions (with a safety net).

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 06-15-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
My only comment on this whole war about the IAT tables is that the argument is kind of like arguing about which side of a nickel is worth 5 cents.

Having said that, I prefer to use the IAT correction table how it was designed-- using 0* of correction and normal operating temps and subtracting as the IATs increase (past safe levels) and possibly adding for very low IAT conditions, and running a static spark table that has the best map it can. It's less confusing to me and easier to find errors (only one table to address). I do like the idea of tuning for meth on the street, but at the track it makes more sense to me to run a static table and tune for your conditions (with a safety net).

I agree with you 100%, I guess thats what I was trying to say to start with.....

Good Job
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread started to take a turn for the worst...way to keep it on topic.

Anyway, I think where people's confusion with the IAT Spark table and using it to add timing is the fact that its under the Spark Advance section and that it says this in the description:

"IAT Spark Advance Correction- Add: This table is used to modify spard advance based on inlet air temperature. It adds to the current spark advance."

That's very misleading to the novice tuner.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
This thread started to take a turn for the worst...way to keep it on topic.

Anyway, I think where people's confusion with the IAT Spark table and using it to add timing is the fact that its under the Spark Advance section and that it says this in the description:

"IAT Spark Advance Correction- Add: This table is used to modify spard advance based on inlet air temperature. It adds to the current spark advance."

That's very misleading to the novice tuner.
I'll ride this thread out with the acceptance of the fact that the IAT IS inconsistent, especially for Radix people. I'll even hush when we talk inconsistency in our 1/4 mile runs using this table to any major effect. But you gotta know ALOT of those tables have that same description. I surely didn't figure that by reading the description. After all, if you haven't touched that table and go into the table after reading that, you'll see it's all negative, retarding. Yeh maybe some will read this description wrong, but most in this thread won't.

If you are going to trust that this table will pull timing for you when your IAT's are too high, then you must realize that some of us are going to use it for the exact opposite down in the 80 to 100 temps for gaining a few degrees...eeerrr couple of degrees with quiet some success. Consistent? No. Safe? Sure, just as safe as you guys counting on it pulling timing when the temps are high. The biggest inconsistency IMO with this table is heat soak. But quiet frankly, what's the confusion if I figure out my optimum spark table (as you guys have), run consistent times with that table time after time again and then only then have a couple degrees added where we ALL would agree you could add it because it is safe enough? You can't tell me if your scanner says 100*IAT you couldn't run a degree or two more than if you had 120*. It is what it is right? It may be "slow" to report, but that's not dangerous due to the very nature we all know it's only slow to report cooler temps, not hotter temps. The way you guys are making it sound is, if it says 90* you could be in trouble because it might really be 125*.

I don't know zippy's thought process, he's a smart guy and knows quiet a bit, just as alot of you do(more so than me, that's for sure) but I can bet you if he was given the problem of 2wd traction, bracket racing, ect, ect he probably wouldn't of came up with this idea. The idea derives from an 5500 lb truck (gas and driver) trying to take advantage of 90* IAT's at the green light but not changing tunes when the IAT's are 120 to 130* at the green light. Maybe on the next run he won't be able to enjoy 90* IAT's due to heat soak or just plain too hot, but he did the first run.

I agree with both sides on this for the most part, but I am not sold on the "unsafeness" of adding timing if the temps are cool enough. COOL ENOUGH, not 120*, I agree there has to be some type of "variance" with the IAT.

No statements of experience of who's tuned what and how many anymore please. I have no experience and only lasted 2 years of autoshop class in highschool....17 years ago. I just want to learn it all now, enjoy modding my truck and talking to others abouth the same (even if we disagrre) and hopefully get the same respect those that know it all and the ones that think they know it all. Chill. Discuss the topic at hand guys, even when others make idiotic statements.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Well spoken dewmanshu.......you've humbled me.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelo
Well spoken dewmanshu.......you've humbled me.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will agree that if you are bracket racing a consistant (zero'd) table is going to be what you're looking for. I have ran a truck using this tuning system to run back to back consistant numbers, but they required a consistant cool down. If you are cooling the truck 30 minutes or so between passes and then you're suddenly making back to back passes as you progress in rounds you are going to find a reduction in ET's. I've been bracket racing on days when I wanted to run and there was no test and tune. I've even taken a first place and a second place 3 weeks in a row with little to no interest in it. When I go to the track I go there to run the number and do some testing, then go home. Racing against the clock and possibly having to let up if you're making a good pass just takes the fun out of it for me. The IAT sensor has well enough resolution for the job it's doing and reports increases in temperatures as fast as a Radix can increase them. For heat soak cases, the sensor will actually report a higher temperature than the air actually is that's going into the cylinders due to the location of the sensor, but it will be safer doing so anyway as it will be pulling timing.

I will add something else to this though. There are some supercharger kits out there that keep the IAT sensor in the maf and even worse keep the maf on the inlet side of the blower. In this case I don't recomend using the IAT table to have much decision in spark timing. It is important for those kits to have the IAT sensor relocated to detect the temperature of the air actually in the intake.

Quick Reply: Tuning for Boost in the IAT and ECT correction tables....Zippy inside.