Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tuning for Boost in the IAT and ECT correction tables....Zippy inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well spoken..and very clearly stated zippy. I don't agree with using the IAT to control timing but if it works for you go for it (I'd err on the conservative side though....)
Old 06-19-2006, 12:13 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

correct me if I am wrong here....I have done some research and this is how it works in my little brain.

You Drive here: |................................................. ...................|
You utilize the IAT and ECT Table to tune for performance and your
vehicle will run better here: |.......................|

I understand the principal behind it, dont get me wrong....I am just not seeing the total benefit of it, if someone can explain it to me (without taking it personally) I would like to better understand the theroy behind this "style" of tuning.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the theory is: utilize the cooler intake charge while you can (at the beginning of the run) and pull timing when the IAT's get over a certain threshold to finish out the run without causing detonation...

In theory this is a good idea.....BUT, you'd have to tune for the lower temp air-charge to determine HOW MUCH extra timing you can safely run, and you'd have to do this for quite a few different temps to get an accurate IAT table. And unless you're running a hose with temperature controlled air into your engine you'll never be able to tune accurately for this...sure you'll get there eventually by data-logging/trial and error but this seems like ALOT more work than it's worth when you can acieve the same end result (et/mph) doing it the "old fashioned way"