Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

tuning/logging with tablets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tuning/logging with tablets?

wuts going on peeps? i tried a search and didnt find anything, so i was just curious if any of the tuning software can be run with todays current tablets? wut about logging software? im currently lookin for a new laptop or tablet and was curious about this. i dont have any tuning software as of yet but i was logging with my preditor hooked up as a pass-through device on my old laptop b4 it crashed. probably leaning towards a laptop for the better gaming and dvd playback but a tablet would be nice. and less bulky. any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

"crickets chirping".............. lol wow anyone?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about tablets, but I figure the limiting factor would be the operating system. Speaking specifically about HPtuners, drivers would be my main concern. The system requirements would probably check out though. HPtuners requirements:

Minimum Requirements:
Windows XP/Vista/7 or Better
1 GHz PC or Laptop
512 MB of RAM
Old 11-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd never ever want to even try tuning on a tablet, or anything touchscreen only for that matter.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

main concern would be drivers also...
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i am also unsure on how "powerful" the android operating system is compared to say windows. i know the hardware is there for the tablets but i may be a few years ahead of myself. im sure it will be sometime b4 this is even possible. just kickin around ideas.

scott whats so bad about touch screens? its the future of technology as almost everything electroinic now days has some form of a "touch screen". even kids toys are popping up with them. its all in the programing which im sure the current tuning options are not designed for....yet.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i am also unsure on how "powerful" the android operating system is compared to say windows. i know the hardware is there for the tablets but i may be a few years ahead of myself. im sure it will be sometime b4 this is even possible. just kickin around ideas.
Some cell phones have the hardware requirements to run the program. HPtuners only makes drivers for Windows XP, Vista, and 7. So android is out of the question.

I have also tossed up ideas for something similar. An in dash computer of some sort would be amazing. Like a baller double din or something a little larger. You could control your music, switch between separate tunes, scan with your virtual gagues on hptuners, etc...

A touch screen is kind of sketchy IMO, but only sketchy because of the user. The data is still the same as long as the user knows how to input it via the hardware.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

i completely forgot that some tablets are running windows..... hmm
Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a small laptop
Tablets are okay but id rather have a laptop
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I'd never ever want to even try tuning on a tablet, or anything touchscreen only for that matter.
Originally Posted by 05GMC4.8
... whats so bad about touch screens? its the future of technology as almost everything electroinic now days has some form of a "touch screen". ...
Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
A touch screen is kind of sketchy IMO, but only sketchy because of the user. The data is still the same as long as the user knows how to input it via the hardware.
I have accidentally mis-clicked something on my smart phone, or double clicked, or clicked even when I wasn't planning to touch the screen, every time I use it. If I was tuning with a touchscreen, odds are 100% that I would click “ok” on the “are you sure you want to ruin your PCM now?” warning.

Quick Reply: tuning/logging with tablets?