Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

understanding the advance...under boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default understanding the advance...under boost

When I research everything about tuning I have found that most, inlcuding car guys like to say on average an advance of about 23* to 28* seems to work for them. Yeh yeh, I know each vehicle and atmoshpere is different. But i have a more simple question. The Main Advance table in my tune (using HPT) has the value of 9 in the cell for 4800RPM and 1.20 Cylinder Airmass. Under WOT conditions, is this right? I mean during scanning I read the car guys and some truck guys get 20-something. I get 9-something. HUH?

Also, at the top of that table when you let off the throttle it hits 3200RPM/.16 and the number is 49 to 52. Is this way too high? I can post my tables for view or I'd be more than happy to shoot my tune to someone for comment?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The low air values are fine.

The thing about getting xx* of timing -- it depends on compression, octane, boost, heat, IATs, etc. Your tune should be what works for you.

The method I used to get the most timing was to start off really safe and then try to walk the advance up 2* at a time until you see KR, and then back off 1-2*.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:51 PM

That's a problem as well, I have a random kr, I am nailing it down to particular areas, but I just can't imagine 9 degrees of timing being anywhere right for WOT. Without the alcohol my IAT is 150ish, 180 ECT, 7.8 boost w/radix on 6.0, 93 octane, compression is sorta unknown because I kept my 5.3 stage heads when I went with the 6.0. Just put 6.0 head gaskets on. But FWW it is stock 6.0 internals besides rod bolts and 2.02/1.67 heads.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I know guys who run 8* (of course the're running 28psi of boost )

I can tell you that I ran 11* of timing with no intercooler at 7psi (meth only 10psi) with no KR on a 10:1 6.0L.

AFAIK, the 5.3 heads are 62cc which means your CR might be high. Did you do flat tops or dished pistons (i.e. LQ9 or LQ4 6.0?). Either way, you want to figure out your compression as I think its probably near 10:1 (which isn't a bad thing, just means your timing will be lower than others).
Old 07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
When I research everything about tuning I have found that most, inlcuding car guys like to say on average an advance of about 23* to 28* seems to work for them. Yeh yeh, I know each vehicle and atmoshpere is different. But i have a more simple question. The Main Advance table in my tune (using HPT) has the value of 9 in the cell for 4800RPM and 1.20 Cylinder Airmass. Under WOT conditions, is this right? I mean during scanning I read the car guys and some truck guys get 20-something. I get 9-something. HUH?

Also, at the top of that table when you let off the throttle it hits 3200RPM/.16 and the number is 49 to 52. Is this way too high? I can post my tables for view or I'd be more than happy to shoot my tune to someone for comment?
The higher the airmass number the more load the engine is under. I have never seen 1.2 the most I get to is around .9 at wot in first, then shifting into second itll drop to around .8x and climb to around .9x. On a boosted app this might be different have you actually seen any of the cells in that range filled with data on your logs, I would doubt you would ever see it.

The 49 and 52 up top is fine the only time you will see them is when youve let off the throttle from wide open there will be plenty of fueling for those cells ( assuming pe fueling is good) look at your afr youll see what I mean

I would look at your logs you want the timing to gradually decrease till you reach wot then stay the same at a constant load. If you notice the timing travels at an angle starting in the upper left of the table and traveling down to the right.

Ive found that the timing and particularly the ve, pe tables play togethor. If you have the ve table finely tuned along with pe you will be able to run alot more timing and the transmission shifting will be smoother.

the key to good timing tables is first tuning everything else especially the VE in SD and PE then moving to timing shouldnt see any big jumps in timing either when accelerating engines are linear in everything they do.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:02 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, I purchased the flat tops. It's a 2002 6.0 that I bought from a guy on here who had purchased it online from a speed shop (just never built).

My tune(s) were initially and for the most part setup by Allen (Nelson). I am just now getting around to messing with learning to tune and the "twist the distributor" is obviously not an option. hehehehe Yeh I am guessing...literally the ratio is more like 10:1 or maybe 10.5:1. You know I forgot, they were milled .010 as well. SO it might be a little higher than I imagine.

As far as 02sierraz71 5.3 talking about load and gms/cyl, I can get 1.2 with 85% TPS, definitely at 100%. I was discussing with a mechanic, whom is a good friend and does alot of the big jobs on my truck and he races monster trucks, about the angle from the left top corner to the botttom right...yep makes since. I was just curious about the HUGE differences in that degree from no throttle and full throttle. You would think strivng for the 28* would be want you want. But as you guys are saying the mods and boost make for a difference...is there a known formula or guide for figuring spectulative degrees at specific load points for boosted vehicles.

I changed just the advance today( I upped the area in WOT .8x to 1.2 by 2-3 degrees) after I posted the first time. It definitely feels stronger, a little sloppy on recovery sometimes, my WIDEBAND isn't hooked up yet (so busy), but I got KR twice, one was at 36% TPS constant and then a little drop in TPS, but it was big kr...8*.

I also so kr one time at WOT, but only once. and it was 1.4*. Must note that I sped up my kr recovery as I could do a better job of telling fake kr from possible real kr. Definitely alot stronger in the mid range, maybe pull some of that timing up in the higher areas. But you (Turbobereserker) were saying you ran 11* on a non-intercooled, 6.0 with 10:1. Your truck now, (STS isn't intercooled is it? turbo is in air path right?) ? or a past truck.

I just don't know about the learning curve of SD tuning. I don't have time(or timing LOL), I am very interested in learning all the ins and out, but for now, I just want my truck to pull hard thorugh the whole spectrum. It seems to not have much at top and done low at a roll. It will launch fantastic and pull fairly hard thorugh all gears, but if you are rolling, it feels like nothing...a loud deep mean 4 cylinder is what it feels like.

How about Torque Management, I knwo where all the tables, but what I should do about torque values and which tables to zero out for timing pulls?

Thanks for your help guys, complicated stuff.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:11 PM

The advance table has been changed a little as I said

pics of tables
Old 07-14-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

[edit] just looked at tables timing looks nice and smooth, im assuming the top one is the ve table it looks similar to mine except mine climbs quicker
what do your trims look like?

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 07-14-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
[edit] just looked at tables timing looks nice and smooth, im assuming the top one is the ve table it looks similar to mine except mine climbs quicker
what do your trims look like?
Look okay. 0 to -5 sometimes you'll see positive numbers.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like your timing in the part throttle areas is WAY higher than mine
(+5 or so) but my timing is quite a bit higher in most WOT cells

Quick Reply: understanding the advance...under boost