Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

understanding the advance...under boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Berserker, who does your tuning? I'm in Orlando also, I've seen you truck at Vinci, nice ride!...anyway it seems that vinci can only put there "tuner" on not a custom tune...it may be because I have 4wd, but I dunno...anyway my radix should be here next week and I am looking for a custom tune after it is installed.
BTW I used your AeroComp reference...they worked out great! I put up 264hp, but at 10.5 afr.
Thanks,
Damon
Old 07-16-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Look okay. 0 to -5 sometimes you'll see positive numbers.
no need to get snoby just asking questions
the reason I did was because you said your getting random kr thats from inconsistent fueling or too much timing and since we've eliminated the fueling part I would pull timing. The only other thing I can think of is injectors over duty cycle. Where does the random kr appear? In the pics posted it doesnt show any.

As far as pulling timing I have found that the amount of kr isnt directly proportional to the amount of actual knock so If I see 3-4 degrees I pull about 2 degrees and that gets rid of it. I also like to run a different high and low table the high being where I know Im just gonna start seeing kr the low about 3-4 degrees below where I see kr. This has worked well for me and gives some leway but yet the engine will always try and move up just enough to where I can run max timing. With this setup if I do see kr its .5 or less and with a road trip its learned it out.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
no need to get snoby just asking questions
the reason I did was because you said your getting random kr thats from inconsistent fueling or too much timing and since we've eliminated the fueling part I would pull timing. The only other thing I can think of is injectors over duty cycle. Where does the random kr appear? In the pics posted it doesnt show any.

As far as pulling timing I have found that the amount of kr isnt directly proportional to the amount of actual knock so If I see 3-4 degrees I pull about 2 degrees and that gets rid of it. I also like to run a different high and low table the high being where I know Im just gonna start seeing kr the low about 3-4 degrees below where I see kr. This has worked well for me and gives some leway but yet the engine will always try and move up just enough to where I can run max timing. With this setup if I do see kr its .5 or less and with a road trip its learned it out.
Whoa dude, I wasn't getting snobby, just a quick answer. I am big time sorry if I showed any attitude. FAAAAAR from how I want to portray myself. I am very thankful of your input, turbo's, blownchevy, greentahoe, parish, everbody's, hell you guys have helped me out many times in the past (lurking ofcourse under most circumstances)

I didn't get a chance to copy any pics of the kr on Friday, between busy and my shitty memory, you pick.hehehe. But it usually in the 2100 to 3100 rpm range and about 25 to 35% TPS. Usually I am actually cruising and it comes up...you know constant TPS and all of a sudden...kr. ANywhere from a quick burst of .4 to 4* or even ever now and again and huge burst of 8*. I have my recovery rate set up so most (99.9%) times it goes away, but with the huge burst of kr it last like 2 to 4 seconds. again keeping in mind...not WOT, just somewhere around midrange. Which might with what greentahoe says, be a problem. I think I'll scale down part throttle timing a little.

I defintely know what you mean by kr timing isn't directly cooresponding to the amount of timing that needs to be pulled, it's just a value in a table that is used under that condition of sensitivity. When you say high and low table you do mean you run your high octane table as close to kr as you can get and then the low octane is -3 or -4 compared to the high octane table. I like that idea. Learning might prove to be interesting. Good concept for sure. Hmmm.

And I just noticed why you thought I was get snobby....LOL I meant "LookS Okay." Sorry about.

dewey
Old 07-16-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Whoa dude, I wasn't getting snobby, just a quick answer. I am big time sorry if I showed any attitude. FAAAAAR from how I want to portray myself. I am very thankful of your input, turbo's, blownchevy, greentahoe, parish, everbody's, hell you guys have helped me out many times in the past (lurking ofcourse under most circumstances)

I didn't get a chance to copy any pics of the kr on Friday, between busy and my shitty memory, you pick.hehehe. But it usually in the 2100 to 3100 rpm range and about 25 to 35% TPS. Usually I am actually cruising and it comes up...you know constant TPS and all of a sudden...kr. ANywhere from a quick burst of .4 to 4* or even ever now and again and huge burst of 8*. I have my recovery rate set up so most (99.9%) times it goes away, but with the huge burst of kr it last like 2 to 4 seconds. again keeping in mind...not WOT, just somewhere around midrange. Which might with what greentahoe says, be a problem. I think I'll scale down part throttle timing a little.

I defintely know what you mean by kr timing isn't directly cooresponding to the amount of timing that needs to be pulled, it's just a value in a table that is used under that condition of sensitivity. When you say high and low table you do mean you run your high octane table as close to kr as you can get and then the low octane is -3 or -4 compared to the high octane table. I like that idea. Learning might prove to be interesting. Good concept for sure. Hmmm.

And I just noticed why you thought I was get snobby....LOL I meant "LookS Okay." Sorry about.

dewey

no problem maybe I was reading too much into it I wrote that after a night of drinking

As far as setting the high table I try and set it right at the threshold where I know I will see 1-3 degrees kr, then bump down the low octane accordingly it takes time but it has worked well for me, I havent found anyone else who does this its just something I stumbled across.

I used to have a problem with that low rpm kr also I adjusted the kr sensor level
0 400 800 1200 1600 2000 2400 2800 3.2k
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 7 8 9 9
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 8 8 8 8
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 8 8 8 8
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 7 8 8 7
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 7 8 8 8
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 7 8 8 8
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 9 9 9 8
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 10 7 8 8 7

lots of noise with cams and valves, this helped but the timing thing has helped the most becuase I would only get it when the converter locks in 4th in low rpms range and it allowed me to vary the timing. I also changed the iat and max tq timing tables they are factored as well
Old 07-16-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

dewey
Wow, I feel priviledged to be included in such a group!!
Ive dealt with the same random KR at 2100 to 3100 and 25-35%TPS, but I simply adjusted the VE table just slightly and it got rid of it. Im not too sure if the timing has much to do with it as I was comapring your tune to mine preintercooler and spraying a bunch of meth. If your VE table looks good and the KR is random than I wouldnt go crazy with it.
I think if you are spraying meth and only running 8 or so pounds of boost, you should be able to run quite a bit more than 9* up top. Add a few at a time at back it down a tad when you see KR.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Wow, I feel priviledged to be included in such a group!!
Ive dealt with the same random KR at 2100 to 3100 and 25-35%TPS, but I simply adjusted the VE table just slightly and it got rid of it. Im not too sure if the timing has much to do with it as I was comapring your tune to mine preintercooler and spraying a bunch of meth. If your VE table looks good and the KR is random than I wouldnt go crazy with it.
I think if you are spraying meth and only running 8 or so pounds of boost, you should be able to run quite a bit more than 9* up top. Add a few at a time at back it down a tad when you see KR.
I am sure timing has nothing to do with it due to meth and I have had that fuel up to 110 octane with same results. I am just not to confident yet with messing with the VE...I feel it's the best way. I really like the idea of the compensating between the high and low table...for the purpose of finding what your right spot is. Doesn't the "learn" that happens concerning the ECM happen between these timing tables and the "cell" learning happens on the VE table?

green what kind of scaling would you suggest I do in those areas? using my ve table up above in the link. The only other problem I have with running more than 9 to 11 at top is I don't know what my compression is any more using the 5.3 stg3 heads that have been milled .010.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

A bigger cam will want more timing in the part throttle area than a smaller cam vehicle.

WOT advance still seems really low up top. I assume you're running the 42# injectors. What's your fuel pressure? It may be that you're trying to tune out KR caused by poor fueling, or the false KR, or the dreaded down shift / tranny induced KR.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
A bigger cam will want more timing in the part throttle area than a smaller cam vehicle.

WOT advance still seems really low up top. I assume you're running the 42# injectors. What's your fuel pressure? It may be that you're trying to tune out KR caused by poor fueling, or the false KR, or the dreaded down shift / tranny induced KR.
the latter....dreaded converter lock. Give any amount of gas (except WOT) with that converter locked and about 60 to 75% of the time I get the kr. Fuel pressure is between 55 and 62. For some reason my digital is crazy sometimes, but I have done mechanical a hundred times and it reads 60 at idle and 56 at WOT and then creeps to 59. The radix is 42# injected.

You think my part throttle timing looks a little low considering the bigger cam? I am gonna creep the top timing up at 2 degree increments and see what I get.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

i am tuning out sporadic kr in mine and i have a slightly lower pt base timing matrix in a na truck.

Base Spark Matrix
Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Okie5.3
i am tuning out sporadic kr in mine and i have a slightly lower pt base timing matrix in a na truck.

Base Spark Matrix
Interesting....no knock up top I take it. My setup is definitely different...but interesting nevertheless.

Quick Reply: understanding the advance...under boost