Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

VE tune changed drastically when MAF re-enabled?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was running a maf I made a table in EFI Live to log LTFT's vs the maf table and dialed it in pretty easy by using that correction factor. The table would log the LTFT at the given frequency and I would make that correction in the maf table. It worked for me.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Atomic

I can't remember who said it, but I think it was someone here, "Tuning is not an event, it is an ongoing process." < truth.

Good luck

/end rant
I appreciate all the tips/advice Atomic. Until these last 2 days I was definitely a bit overwhelmed with my HPTuners. I have played with alot the basics (speedo correction, trans up/downshift points, TM, etc.), but now I feel MUCH better about plugging that laptop into the OBD port, lol. I definitely will be getting a wideband in the near future so I can continue the "ongoing process".

The issues I was having both with VE and MAF tuning were self inflicted, unfortunately. For instance, today I datalogged at least a dozen series of 100+ cell hits in the MAF Hz config. Of course, I also made a dozen changes to tune, only to realize that I never turned ON the MAF from last night so every change I made accomplished NOTHING. Once I re-enabled the MAF, Disabled LTFT learn, and zeroed out the HIGH RPM MAF Disable, it took exactly two logs and reflashes to get the LTFT's all at 2 or less.

Truck feels like it is much "crisper" responding to throttle changes and overall cruise-ability. I can't wait to VE/MAF tune my cam-only 11 second Camaro since it was never done during the $450 local dyno tune a year and a half ago. My "tuner" evidently did WOT tune only which made for nice dragstrip numbers, but obviously also allowed crappy PT driveability. (One of the reasons I have my own HPTuners now)
Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
When I was running a maf I made a table in EFI Live to log LTFT's vs the maf table and dialed it in pretty easy by using that correction factor. The table would log the LTFT at the given frequency and I would make that correction in the maf table. It worked for me.
I'm just a dumbass steelworker, so "making" a log table is definitely out of my range of ability, lol.

It (a table like you describe) would definitely of helped me, I am sure.

Oddly enough, I had much less problems dialing in the VE then I did the MAF...The VE I did a tedious cell by cell comparison and had it pretty much dialed in in just a few logs/reflashes.

Again, thanks for the replies and advice everyone!!
Much appreciated!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I'm just a dumbass steelworker, so "making" a log table is definitely out of my range of ability, lol.

It (a table like you describe) would definitely of helped me, I am sure.

Oddly enough, I had much less problems dialing in the VE then I did the MAF...The VE I did a tedious cell by cell comparison and had it pretty much dialed in in just a few logs/reflashes.

Again, thanks for the replies and advice everyone!!
Much appreciated!

well I will tell you this, its easier with the wideband then trying to set up a histogram and pid to use your 02 sensors, just get the wideband and it will all come together for you.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

heres my config file, what you want is histogram 9.

when you download the file, change the extension from .hpl to .cfg

I changed the extension so i could upload it.

Setting up the histogram is very easy. Create a PID, I called it STFT AVG in my above config, with the function ([PID.6] + [PID.8])/ 2 this averages the two STFTs. Then go to the histogram config and plot that on the table "maf airflow vs output frequency". See my config for reference if you dont want to use mine directly.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
atomicvcmscanner.hpl (2.6 KB, 260 views)
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I'm just a dumbass steelworker.............
See what I mean...I can't even figure out how to rename that file and make it open in the VCM scanner. If I try it says "Unable to Parse Logs"

Can you email it to me?
rel3rd@comcast.net