Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

VE Tuning With Wide Band Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default VE Tuning With Wide Band Question

I have been reading the data on VE tuning with narrow and wide band o2's but the wide band doesn't say what to do after all the tables have been set up.

For instance the narrow band says to drive around and log and such but the wide band data went right into the data formula entry.

What do you do after you set the tables up for wide band VE tuning. Drive around the same as you would for the NB procedure?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes. You should be logging AFR error, and the trims are more or less an AFR error, both percentage wise.

I use narrowbands for stoich and my wideband for pe.

Last edited by Atomic; 08-02-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can I get a little detail about the wide band logging?
Like the type of driving and how much of it.
And do I avoid Boost?

My config is already setup for logging AFR Error and such. I have configured it for everything I need.

I just need some noob guidance for carrying it out. I want to get this VE and MAF thing under my belt.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I have a gauge for that

Set up a filter in a histogram to log AFR error vs MAF frequency to only log if AFR is less than 14.6

This means the only numbers showing up are while you are in PE. Copy with labels and paste special > multiply into the MAF frequency table. Do this several times (3 is usually plenty) with at least 20 minutes of data each time. After the first time, multiply by half instead of the whole thing.
At the same time, setup another histogram to log the average of STFTs and LTFTs on the MAF frequency table, with a filter to ignore anything below 14.6. This will log all the data for the stoich range. Do the same prodcedure of modification of the tune as listed above; multiply by percent, repeat, etc.

This should get the MAF pretty close. You want to drive normally, with some WOT runs in there to get a full range of data, at least 20 minutes of driving. Try to avoid quick throttle transitions, ie, dont go from 30% throttle to the floor in half a second, ease into the throttle. I find manual forcing 3rd gear in the scanner works great for this.

Boost shouldnt matter. If you are in boost then you should be in PE anyway, so no need to worry.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I'll be going at it.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default VE & MAF Tuning Via Wide Band Guide

Thanks Atomic,

I hope this thread will be of search use to noobs like myself wanting to do this.

I have been searching and found a VE MAF Cal w/Wideband or narrow guide I think this old dog can learn new tricks with. It spells it out pretty plainly.

If you can look it over or most likely have seen it already any comments on it would be welcomed. Craigs TuningGuide

It looks like it uses an older version of HPT so I have a few questions.
  1. PE Table Change? What should I to with my current numbers?
  2. Long Tem Fuel Trims Disable (How?) I did not see a able/disable switch. Is there a number to max or zero out?
  3. Disabling COT can damage the cats?
  4. Set MAF Fail Freq to 0, where? Couldn't spot it.
  5. I take it I do not have a secondary VE table?

Now, Craig does not mention the custom histo's you spoke of and I am not up to configuring them. So I take it I can do it as is? Or you have a custom turn key config you can share? If not I can get by as is correct?

Thanks Again.

Last edited by therock; 08-03-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Title
Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a gauge for that

CPIGs guide is one I learned from when I first got the software, its pretty good and he basically says the same thing I did. Read it from the beginning and follow step by step.

1. 11.8 across the board is fine
2. page 14
3. if the exhaust gets too hot the cats can melt, so the pcm will richen the mix for a while until the cats cool back down. Im actually suprised you havent had cat trouble with the supercharger yet, they generally dont like the rich mixture that comes with FI.
4. page 4
5. you do not

The ones you need should already be built in...
Old 08-04-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!

Page 14. Ah! Engine "Diagnostics" for the MAF setting. Thanks.

On the COT setting, I see in my Radix OE tune it already has them disabled. Every tune I have this is already set to disabled.
Maybe it's for older style cats used at the time of the document creation?
The reason I traded to an 05 was some of the upgrades and the Corvette style cats was one of them. Sure would hate to damage them. A $350.00 bill easy.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I have a gauge for that

The reason its disabled is you dont want the pcm dumping more fuel during WOT or something. Its disabled so it doesnt interfer with anything else. I wouldnt worry about the cats.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I noticed my GM stock tune has it enabled. Would you enable it after all the work is done?

Quick Reply: VE Tuning With Wide Band Question