Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wait4me tune is in..... Does it take time for this thing to come to life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wait4me tune is in..... Does it take time for this thing to come to life?

Well I just installed my PCM from Jesse and the truck fired up right away on the first try. No SES light or any funny business. Truck started up and the change engine oil light was on. Shut it off. Reset oil light and tried again. Perfect start again and no SES or engine oil light on. I noticed right away the truck ran quieter and smoother than it ever has. I let it idle for a minute or so and took it for a drive. I noticed the power curve now seems to have a nice well rounded feeling to it, no flat or dead spots. However, my predator handheld tuner appears to have felt more aggressive at WOT than the new wait4me tune. I have already logged 15 or so miles on the new PCM. Shouldn't I feel a huge performance difference right away? I had jesse remove 100% engine tq management, set the tune for 92 octane and the rest is history. It just doesn't feel as fast as the diablo handheld I have. Has anyone else had this experience with a new tune? You put it in and it just feels mushy and soggy all across the powerband? Not to say it's a dog but it doesn't feel that much better than stock. Even though I didn't get an SES light, should I get a crank relearn anyways? Just seems weird to me that the truck started up perfectly. no security relearn or crank relearn. I may go cruise around on the highway for awhile tonight to try and rack some more miles up on the new PCM. I'll let you guys know if anything changes. Any thoughts?

Joe
Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

I would hope it would start right up. There's no reason why it shouldn't if he had your vin number. I guess I would suggest asking him(if you can actually get in touch with him) to send you a new tune with quicker, firmer shifts. That will be the difference I would guess. From my past experience, you are only gonna notice so much gain from a tune. If you are looking for more, go FI. $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-10-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
I would hope it would start right up. There's no reason why it shouldn't if he had your vin number. I guess I would suggest asking him(if you can actually get in touch with him) to send you a new tune with quicker, firmer shifts. That will be the difference I would guess. From my past experience, you are only gonna notice so much gain from a tune. If you are looking for more, go FI. $$$$$$$$$$$

My truck is a 5 speed truck so my left leg and right arm do the shifting I guess what I'm really getting at is I don't understand why a newly tuned computer should take 200 miles to learn? I could be wrong but I thought data was data and that there was no need for it to adapt. What exactly is it learning anyways? Should I continue to drive the tar out of this thing for 200 miles?

Joe
Old 08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But to answer your question: yes, the tune should also get better as your driving 'style' is learned by the computer. Don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard many times that during this 'relearn' you should drive it like you stole it and the computer will respond accordingly.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

i just got back from a 50 mile drive doing 75 to 80 mph the whole time. in town i've been running it up to 5500 rpms time after time. so far i like the tune because it has made my truck both quieter & smoother. i just wish it had the snappy response the predator had. maybe time will tell, who knows. as far as low end grunt goes, the predator could spin the tires better, does ne1 know if predator removes tq mgmnt? with 100% removed, i thought this would turn my tires into.smoke. any other thoughts?

joe
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, it will take more than 15 miles to learn. I put mine in and the first night it was ok. Then the next after my commute to and from work.... Yeah baby......

One thing though. A lot of tuning and the reason most truck feel much faster afterwards is the tranny and shift tuning. With a manual, you control all that so the performance gain might be a little different...... I could be completely wrong on that one though, this is just me thinking out loud......
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OCBC
Yes, it will take more than 15 miles to learn. I put mine in and the first night it was ok. Then the next after my commute to and from work.... Yeah baby......

One thing though. A lot of tuning and the reason most truck feel much faster afterwards is the tranny and shift tuning. With a manual, you control all that so the performance gain might be a little different...... I could be completely wrong on that one though, this is just me thinking out loud......
well, i put 15 miles on at first, now 50.... we,ll see how it goes tomorrow or if it has learned anymore. what do you guys think is a fair amount of miles on before it has fully "learned"?

joe
Old 08-10-2005, 11:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mine really woke up around 200 miles
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Every tune that I have had takes a little while to come to life, I guess its just all part of the computer learning process. And they say computers are smart.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

the computer is learned the long term fuel, so it needs to put miles on it. just keep driving it. honestly, i usually notice about a week later after i reprogram mine, with updates and tweaks and such. so now i don't notice much difference. but when you totally change things, you gotta give it time. 200 miles is sufficient, if it's stop and go, and over time. but 200 miles on the highway, isn't going to help a ton. drive it, and let us know in a few days

Quick Reply: Wait4me tune is in..... Does it take time for this thing to come to life?