Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wait4me tune is in..... Does it take time for this thing to come to life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:10 AM

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts

give it some time. the day i had my truck tuned the only thing i really noticed over my hypercrap tune was the firmer shifts. after about 300 miles i figured it should be learned. i stopped in front of my house and laid out 2 black lines that went for ever. something i couldnt do before. itll wake up after a few miles
Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My Nelson Tune was apparent the first day. Soon as it was tuned...... huge difference. I don't want to knock on Jesse's tunes, but it should be very apparent the first few miles.
Maybe it will learn and get better, for Joe's sake at least. Though I don't see it getting all that much stronger.
I paid close to $500 for my tune from Nelson. It wasn't even close to a 93 oct tune of a hand held tuner. It was like WOW this made a huge difference.
I do not regret any of the $500 I spent for the tune either.
By the way, I still have 40% of TM present.
I would love to track test two similar trucks with Nelson's tune(60% of TM removed) in one and Jesse's tune(100% of TM removed) in the other.
I'm leaning towards Nelson's tune coming out on top.
Any two truck owners available to do this?

Jim
Old 08-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Old 08-11-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

I actually had the same problem when i put my first PCM i got from Jesse in. I also have the 4.8 5-speed, but anyhow, It ran really smooth, got the same stuff you did, no SES light and the oil change light. Drove it for about 15 miles and layed in it and it had actually gotten slower. Called Jesse and told him about it and he was suprised, he said he's put the same program in a lot of trucks and they got great results, so he told me to send it back and he'd send me a totally different PCM. Got the 2nd one back felt a HUGE difference. So i wonder what the chances are that you got the same PCM i got the first time and something might just be wrong w/the PCM? If it doesn't wake up in the next couple days, just send it back and put a letter in the box telling him what happened and he should send you another PCM the same day.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got about 60 miles on the tune now and counting after driving to work this morning I went to pass someone and it felt sluggish at first but when it hit about 3500 RPM's then it really started to move so I figured ahh, what the hell, let's see how fast she'll go in 4th gear, I held it down and it pulled clean and consistent up to 105 where I let off. I think you guys may be right on this and that highway driving doesn't give the low end any time to learn. I should go out for lunch today and cruise some. It seems as though every time I go for a drive and shut it off, then start it back up a few hours later it runs a little bit better. It's funny how this all works.... I'll report back with my findings as I rack more miles up on this thing. The top end pulling power now is at least equal to my predator. the low end into the midrange is still a little soggy, I still cannot spin the tires hardly from a dead stop. Hopefully this continues to get better and better.

Joe
Old 08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WT485SPDSilverado
I actually had the same problem when i put my first PCM i got from Jesse in. I also have the 4.8 5-speed, but anyhow, It ran really smooth, got the same stuff you did, no SES light and the oil change light. Drove it for about 15 miles and layed in it and it had actually gotten slower. Called Jesse and told him about it and he was suprised, he said he's put the same program in a lot of trucks and they got great results, so he told me to send it back and he'd send me a totally different PCM. Got the 2nd one back felt a HUGE difference. So i wonder what the chances are that you got the same PCM i got the first time and something might just be wrong w/the PCM? If it doesn't wake up in the next couple days, just send it back and put a letter in the box telling him what happened and he should send you another PCM the same day.
You know, that's an interesting point you bring up.... It could be a flaky or goofy PCM itself and not a result of the tuning. I'm just going about this in a very non-biased way and open to all and any opinions. I think I will still try to put 300 miles on it before sending it back to Jesse and asking for another PCM. It does show signs of getting a little better every time I drive it.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
My Nelson Tune was apparent the first day. Soon as it was tuned...... huge difference. I don't want to knock on Jesse's tunes, but it should be very apparent the first few miles.
Maybe it will learn and get better, for Joe's sake at least. Though I don't see it getting all that much stronger.
I paid close to $500 for my tune from Nelson. It wasn't even close to a 93 oct tune of a hand held tuner. It was like WOW this made a huge difference.
I do not regret any of the $500 I spent for the tune either.
By the way, I still have 40% of TM present.
I would love to track test two similar trucks with Nelson's tune(60% of TM removed) in one and Jesse's tune(100% of TM removed) in the other.
I'm leaning towards Nelson's tune coming out on top.
Any two truck owners available to do this?

Jim
Your truck and mine are pretty similar and my tune from Jesse is on the way. I am up to 1600 miles on my truck so it aint even broken in but I will use it as a test dummy.

Edit: Oh and since my 1/4 times I added the aem brute force cai, but as soon as my tune goes on my headers are also going on.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Well I got about 60 miles on the tune now and counting after driving to work this morning I went to pass someone and it felt sluggish at first but when it hit about 3500 RPM's then it really started to move so I figured ahh, what the hell, let's see how fast she'll go in 4th gear, I held it down and it pulled clean and consistent up to 105 where I let off.
Joe
You shouldn't have a point where the tune "kicks in" if properly tuned. It should be a smooth power increase, not something that resembles a turbo spooling up. Either the timing table isn't setup right of the VE Table is not correct. I would send it back and have him at least check it out. That is not right. My 1500HD doesn't posses anything like that, nor did my 1500 Sierra ... both when tuned. I would get a nice smooth power feeling through the power curve. And yes, the tune should be felt right away when you install it. The fuel trims will learn only for part throttle cruising, not on the performance driving. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Teching In

for me it was apparent right from the get go after install of Jesse's tune.

lots more on top, excellent improvement in mid range and very good increase down low. My mid range is the start for my "**** and get" mode as thats where I leave others playing with themselves.

I saw very little change after time white his tune. I now have over 5,000 miles on the truck since the install. Still brings a smile to my face when I get it on.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The PCM relearns in drive cycles or 10 minute intervals. When the PCM is reprogrammed, the software updates the long term data. Each drive cycle is then updated with the new program. Within 50 drive cycles the new program has completely exhausted the old data. This is an oversimplification but that is why on most cars/trucks the changes are not really felt until 200+ miles are driven.

Quick Reply: Wait4me tune is in..... Does it take time for this thing to come to life?