Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wait4me tune and TM

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
bottom line is, dont let W4M tune your truck...
Oooh, that's harsh, I was gonna but decided to go the HPT route because I could taylor the tune precisely in the truck. BTW- how hard is it to do a shift kit, really? I changed a camshaft on my first truck, a 1977 Blazer..............
Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't really need a shift kit on the 4L60E. We can do that in the computer...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
You don't really need a shift kit on the 4L60E. We can do that in the computer...
I hope that was a joke. Otherwise you're an idiot
Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I hope that was a joke. Otherwise you're an idiot
I wouldn't be using a shift kit as a stopgap for upgrading the transmission internals. If you are looking for more responsive shifts, you CAN use the computer.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't be using a shift kit as a stopgap for upgrading the transmission internals. If you are looking for more responsive shifts, you CAN use the computer.
Well yes you can increase line pressure with the computer and reduce shift times but there are plenty of things that a shift kit can do that tuning can't. I'm not saying a shift kit is gods gift to man, but it definantly is worth the money and it's definantly not the same as increasing line pressure and reducing shift times.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Well yes you can increase line pressure with the computer and reduce shift times but there are plenty of things that a shift kit can do that tuning can't. I'm not saying a shift kit is gods gift to man, but it definantly is worth the money and it's definantly not the same as increasing line pressure and reducing shift times.
The minute I take the pan off of a 4L60 I get leery about it. I had a transmission shop do a Transgo shift kit on my 2000 SS a couple of years ago and the transmission grenaded. Crossleaks on the valvebody because it was still hot when they torqued it back on. $2000 later I got a new transmission.

I'm not saying that's going to be the result of anyone that does a shift kit, but it's something that I'm... sensitive about. Especially when you are working on it under a truck and not on a stand.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can only do so much with line pressure, and it's still not that great of a shift without a shift kit. I'm all for a transgo, i would have just put one less washer in the main accum. in my 60, 2 washers is 1 too many in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

The minute I take the pan off of a 4L60 I get leery about it. I had a transmission shop do a Transgo shift kit on my 2000 SS a couple of years ago and the transmission grenaded. Crossleaks on the valvebody because it was still hot when they torqued it back on. $2000 later I got a new transmission.

I'm not saying that's going to be the result of anyone that does a shift kit, but it's something that I'm... sensitive about. Especially when you are working on it under a truck and not on a stand.
So you're problem is that you took it to a dumbass installer and not with the kit itself.

Believe me man, there are very few people who are going to side with you on this one.

Tuning is NOT the same as a shift kit.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

So your problem is that you took it to a dumbass installer and not with the kit itself.

Believe me man, there are very few people who are going to side with you on this one.

Tuning is NOT the same as a shift kit.
I'm not on a 'side'; I don't have a problem with the kit, but I'd let a shop do the install (which is the question the 2001c3driver asked to begin with). I never stated that the two are the same. One would believe that a transmission shop that's been around for 25+ years would be competent enough to install a transmission specific part. I wasn't asking them to re-ring the engine.

If you have HP Tuners and you are looking for a somewhat more responsive shift, you can use the trans tables to do something with it.

You jumped up my *** over an ambiguous statement. I don't get it.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001c3driver
Oooh, that's harsh, I was gonna but decided to go the HPT route because I could taylor the tune precisely in the truck. BTW- how hard is it to do a shift kit, really? I changed a camshaft on my first truck, a 1977 Blazer..............
its harsh because Jesse is a Quack... but then again., like I said, thats my opinion. I have learned a lot about how he tunes by logging and fixing my tune I got from him a long time ago.

Its not like I just got the tune, and then did the mods, and now I'm complaining about it either... I got the tune after only a couple mods (headers, CAI, t-stat) and went from there... added a few more things, changed some stuff, went with nitrous, cam, built trans, gears, etc etc etc.... and have sent it back to him to be adjusted every time I did a significant mod. It has come back messed up worse every time. my idle got worse and worse (stock cam) fuel mileage got worse and worse (no fuel system changes or driving changes) and I still think to this day, his tune is what caused my PI converter to eat my first FLT trans alive. He doesnt know how to tune anything besides a stock truck in a nutshell. so Like myself and Random Hero have already told you... dont get tuned by him... there are plenty of others, even people on this forum, who offer mail order tunes and will make them right for you if you arent happy. My best suggestion would be to find a local tuner and get your truck on the dyno and have it tuned, or do a live street tune, which is absolutely the best because it is adaptable to how you/your truck actually drives.

Customer service also plays a huge part in my opinion as well. Every time I have called Jesse, I have gotten this half *** attitude like, He knows SSSOOOOO much more about how to tune than anyone else does and he NEVER makes mistakes. I try to explain to him in detail about how the truck's acting and he automatically tells me its a mechanical problem (when nothing's changed except for his tune) and refuses to admit that what he did may be a little off.... good tuners know there's a small margin for error... something may make it run like a scalded dog in one truck and make the next run like a freakin turd... thats why mail orders SUCK IMO... I will NEVER have another one in anything I own.... If you'd like to know more details, please PM me, I may have already started to, but despite what it may seem like, I dont like to air out too much dirty laundry. I'll be happy to explain further my reasoning.

Quick Reply: Wait4me tune and TM