Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wait4me tune and TM

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
You don't really need a shift kit on the 4L60E. We can do that in the computer...
I see you have been a member since 2001, I guess you have been hibernating or something... because tuning will NEVER take the place of upgrading hard parts and mechanically adjusting the shifts of an auto trans.... you gotta read up on this stuff or actually have experienes with it to make an accurate suggestion to someone about to drop some cash, you dont want them to be mislead and end up with a pile of broken parts.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, Silver- that was a bit more than I really needed to know how the fella's attitude is. But no harm done, after reading, thinking and concluding the best course of tune action I decided to go the HPT road as the tune, as you've also pointed out can be done in real time wehre and how you drive the truck, thus perfectly tayloring the tune to you and your truck. thanks for all you've shared so I could ster clear of these pitfalls, another reason I decided to got the softeware route was to minimize the downtime of the truck. now about that shift kit and valvebody- is it recommended to let a shop do it and rent a car for a day or 2 and save the mess or could I pull it off with the truck up of jackstands? I'm leery about upping the pressure via a tune as this will cause the torque pump failure prematurely......
Thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

even if you took it to a shop, you'd probably only be down about one day at the most I'd think... only about a 1/2 day if you made an appt with a shop. I did mine myself in the driveway in about 3.5 hrs. its not that hard of a job and Trans-go includes very detailed instructions with their kits. just take your time and you'll be fine. If you dont feel comfortable all together, take it to a shop, you shouldnt be without your truck for 2 days just getting a shift kit put in.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I see you have been a member since 2001, I guess you have been hibernating or something... because tuning will NEVER take the place of upgrading hard parts and mechanically adjusting the shifts of an auto trans.... you gotta read up on this stuff or actually have experienes with it to make an accurate suggestion to someone about to drop some cash, you dont want them to be mislead and end up with a pile of broken parts.
Keep reading, I explained myself in a later post.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's cool, I think I'm more concerned with the stray drop or tranny fluide while I'm down there, I'll prolly break down and take it to a shop. Say, with a new valvebody/ shift kit, the additional volume aforded by the unit, should I spring for a deep pan while I'm at it for some extra fluid..............

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 06-20-2007 at 05:46 PM.