Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Wheatly VS. Nelson Custom Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe Wheatley locks his as well.. he's kinda hard to get ahold of these days though.. i'm trying to get ahold of him for a retune (free updates for life).... yet i haven't been able to get ahold of him.. (and yes i know about whats going on in his personal life)

IMO.. if you can get it.. go with a dyno tune or a street tune.. i love my wheatley tune.. but i still want a dyno tune..

.. or you could always purchase EFILive or HPTuners.. and tune it yourself...
Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rivierakid55
ill also add this. im sure he isnt the only tuner that does it but nelson locks his tunes and you wont be able to have someone else tune it after the fact if you change your mind or decide to get another tune. cant speak for wheatley or some of the others.
I'm sure he locks his tune so you can't overwrite it and later blame him for any damages. My tune is locked and I like it that way. If I want any changes I'll talk to my tuner about changing them.

01_GenIII welcome to the board. Thers's pages after pages of written info on this site. Sit back a while and just read everything you can before making any judgements.

Originally Posted by Fallen.One05
... or you could always purchase EFILive or HPTuners.. and tune it yourself...
+1
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_GenIII
So, does Blackbear lock theres?
no, justin also has a logging device that will tune based on your trucks activity. its basically a live tune.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

93 Octaine Wheatly All The Way
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

In your comparison, make sure you get the costs for re-tunes. Some charge, some don't. Some allow X# per year after that there is a charge. All mail order tunes are going to be on the conservative side. There are too many variables to get a maxed out tune via mail.

As for Nelson, that is who did mine. First, a mail order when the STS was installed. Then he did a street tune when I upped the boost to 10psi. No problems, no complaints.....+1 for Nelson.

May also want to add Dustin at TRT in the mix. I've heard good things about their tunes and he will be tuning the wife's burb later this year.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 AM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

I've dealt extensively with Allen Nelson as well as Billy & Dustin at TRT. Both know their stuff and are excellent tuners.

If at all possible, you should get a LIVE tune - not mail order. That being said, if a live tune is not an option, I can only speak for Nelson and TRT. Allen is one of the most reputable tuners there is. Dustin has an excellent reputation and many satisfied customers. And as stated, a mail order tune is going to typically be conservative unless you tell them to make it more aggressive. And since you would be going with a mail order tune and not tuning it yourself with HP Tuners, I would assume you wouldn't have the means (HP Tuners) or knowledge to monitor the things that should be monitored - so then you risk damaging something.

I haven't used Wheatley, but he has a very good reputation as well.

Bottom line is try to get a live tune from a reputable tuner.

If that isn't an option, it sucks, but use the search button and do a lot of reading - this is an old, old, old question that has been covered repeatedly and ultimately comes down to who you wind up feeling most comfortable with.

Allen was getting hard to get a hold of for a while, but has some additional help now, so don't let posts about not being able to get a hold of him concern you. Also, Dustin from TRT has been asked to fly out of town to tune before, so you may call and see if there's some slim chance he's coming to your neck of the woods.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

Originally Posted by rivierakid55
I'd say go with Wheaton...then you can be the first to review him and give us all the good details.
And not trying to be an *** here, but he wouldn't be the first to review Wheatley. Wheatley is a sponsor on this board, and has a loyal following with lots of available 'reviews' if one were to use the (*gasp*) search button.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 PM

05GMCL33 when you get your cam installed, please send me a sound clip or post one. Im also interested in a small cam...with big sound...LOL
Old 10-25-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moze
And not trying to be an *** here, but he wouldn't be the first to review Wheatley. Wheatley is a sponsor on this board, and has a loyal following with lots of available 'reviews' if one were to use the (*gasp*) search button.

it was a joke. if you read his title he compared wheaton to nelson. i may be dense but i knew he was talking about wheatley. relax and have a beer kid.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

It used to be mispelled....until I changed it

Quick Reply: Wheatly VS. Nelson Custom Tune